Barefoot Beach Cabanas

Lovetocruise2002

Doing research for next cruise....there will be 4 of us...

Which is better/more preferable on Barefoot Beach?  The over the water cabanas or beachfront? 

Any differences (other than price and location) between the two? 

Anyone have first hand experience in them? 

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

I'll be following, we haven't decided yet, I'm thinking one of the H or B, the over the water didn't entice my Wife, but we won't have any kids with us and she is not a jump straight in the water type of person. We also have a strange dynamic, she has had Melanoma in the past so has to spend part of her time in the shade, I on the other hand will just lay in the sun all day and bake.

Price really won't be an issue, more finding the right fit...

48 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I'll be following, we haven't decided yet, I'm thinking one of the H or B, the over the water didn't entice my Wife, but we won't have any kids with us and she is not a jump straight in the water type of person. We also have a strange dynamic, she has had Melanoma in the past so has to spend part of her time in the shade, I on the other hand will just lay in the sun all day and bake.

Price really won't be an issue, more finding the right fit...

Is this for your SC cruise next February? 

Hill top doesn't entice me because it is too far from the kids if they are on the beach.  I'm thinking over the water might be too in the end.  If it were just hubby and I, it would be hilltop or over the water for sure.

@tiny260 also wondering if SC gets first dibs?  There are only 2 beach front cabanas and 6 over the water ones?  That's not even enough for SC guests? Not that everyone might get one but still wondering how they work that out?  @WAAAYTOOO any thoughts?

Another question I just thought of...do all the Barefoot Beach cabanas come with ceiling fans?  

Hey, Sabrina.

Personally, my favorite cabanas are the beachfront ones (I think we had B1).  The over the water cabanas are now $595 which is totally ridiculous.  I really didn't care for it that much, anyway.  B1 was very close to the water, very private and half the price (almost).  Yes, all Barefoot beach (Nellies too, I believe) come with ceiling fans.

Yes, Star Class get first dibbs on cabanas so if you know that you want one, just have your Genie reserve whichever one you want.  You will not be charged for your cabana up front.  The cost of the cabana will be put on your seapass account which is nice.  Since there are only 2 beachfront cabanas I would recommend that you let the Genie know of your interest as soon as they contact you, if that's the one you choose.

Speaking of Genies, and when they may actually contact you, I got an email from my Genie for our 8 April Allure cruise, yesterday.  So that was exactly 3 weeks prior to the cruise date.  We have Charlie Stoll.  I have never heard of him before but I'm sure he will be wonderful.

If anyone has had Charlie for a Genie before, please let me know !

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Is this for your SC cruise next February? 

Hill top doesn't entice me because it is too far from the kids if they are on the beach.  I'm thinking over the water might be too in the end.  If it were just hubby and I, it would be hilltop or over the water for sure.

@tiny260 also wondering if SC gets first dibs?  There are only 2 beach front cabanas and 6 over the water ones?  That's not even enough for SC guests? Not that everyone might get one but still wondering how they work that out?  @WAAAYTOOO any thoughts?

Another question I just thought of...do all the Barefoot Beach cabanas come with ceiling fans?  

@WAAAYTOOO has already answered your questions, but from my part, the cruise where I will have SC is the only Itinerary I will have Labadee, all my other suites will be on Liberty and Freedom, so only access to the concierge, the Anthem group cruise I will have a Grand Suite only. I will probably go for a beach, then a Hilltop, depending on availability.

36 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

@WAAAYTOOO has already answered your questions, but from my part, the cruise where I will have SC is the only Itinerary I will have Labadee, all my other suites will be on Liberty and Freedom, so only access to the concierge, the Anthem group cruise I will have a Grand Suite only. I will probably go for a beach, then a Hilltop, depending on availability.

I know Feb 2019 is far off but let me know how the request goes for the beachfront cabana.  That's the one I'm really interested in (especially since @WAAAYTOOO said the over the water went up even higher!) but there's only 2 of those. Not sure how they sort that out?  3 more SC guests fight for it? lol

Just now, Sabrinaklai said:

I know Feb 2019 is far off but let me know how the request goes for the beachfront cabana.  That's the one I'm really interested in (especially since @WAAAYTOOO said the over the water went up even higher!) but there's only 2 of those. Not sure how they sort that out?  2 SC guests fight for it? lol

The 2 Genies go to the center of the ring, winner gets the beach...

I won't be disappointed with a Hilltop though. If the timing holds true, I won't know much before you I'm on January 13, 2019, I'm just hoping the 3 weeks @WAAAYTOOO mentions doesn't cause a problem, that will be smack in the middle of the holidays/2018.

53 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Speaking of Genies, and when they may actually contact you, I got an email from my Genie for our 8 April Allure cruise, yesterday.  So that was exactly 3 weeks prior to the cruise date.  We have Charlie Stoll.  I have never heard of him before but I'm sure he will be wonderful.

If anyone has had Charlie for a Genie before, please let me know !

If you google "royal caribbean star class charlie" there is one 2BDR ATS review that comes up with Charlie as a genie.  It's from Dec 2017 on the Allure.

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

If the timing holds true, I won't know much before you I'm on January 13, 2019

I'm on March 10, 2019...so if timing holds true, I won't get my email until February 17, 2019, so I definitely want to know how it goes for you.

I don't know why I thought you were going in February this whole time?

Sabrina, just going by the photos and handful of videos I've seen of Nellie's Beach over-the-water cabanas, I would say that you are right in thinking they will be too far from the beach when your kids are hanging out on the sand. All of the OTW cabanas I saw photos or video of were truly over the water, no beach in immediate sight from the cabana's "porch" / "landing", and each one had a dedicated stone / concrete stairway going straight from the "porch" into the water.

I'll also point out that those stairways have no railing of any sort that I saw in any of the photos or videos, so probably best to have good balance and/or be wearing water shoes with high traction soles.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Sabrina, just going by the photos and handful of videos I've seen of Nellie's Beach over-the-water cabanas, I would say that you are right in thinking they will be too far from the beach when your kids are hanging out on the sand. All of the OTW cabanas I saw photos or video of were truly over the water, no beach in immediate sight from the cabana's "porch" / "landing", and each one had a dedicated stone / concrete stairway going straight from the "porch" into the water.

I'll also point out that those stairways have no railing of any sort that I saw in any of the photos or videos, so probably best to have good balance and/or be wearing water shoes with high traction soles.

Guess I'm fighting for the beach front ones then! lol

That is once I get Hubby to agree to a cabana...:10_wink:

I have no idea if there is a real competition for these cabanas or not.  The last time we got a cabana (when we got the Beachfront one) we just said that's what we wanted and we got it.  With the prices going up the way they are I just keep thinking that at some point the prices will be so outrageous that nobody will get them anymore...but I guess we haven't reached that threshold yet !  I will say, though, that I think being Star Class definitely helps since they get the first choice for cabanas.  I've never tried to get a cabana when I wasn't SC so I don't know how hard it is to get one - especially one that you really want - if you are not SC.

This is a horrible thing to admit but nobody is listening so I will tell on myself.  Honestly, all we ever do in the cabana is take a nap anyway.  I'm not much of a beach person so I just stay in the cabana where it's shady.  Dan will go swim for a bit but then he comes back and we both take a nap.  Expensive nap for $595 if you're in an OTW cabana.  Probably will just forego the cabana from now on. The first time (when we had the OTW) we were with friends, who split the cost (it was then $495) so it wasn't too bad and we did at least stay awake and chat but when it's just the 2 of us, it's snoozeville.  I can stay on the boat and do that !

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

With the prices going up the way they are I just keep thinking that at some point the prices will be so outrageous that nobody will get them anymore...

It may just be a matter of the timing as far as the price charged. I booked our OTW cabana on Nellie's Beach the week they first became available (in February 2017, over a year before our sailing date). I don't know if it was because there was a sale going on, or because the inventory was brand new and they had no reservations (or maybe both?), but our cabana only cost me $255.75. It's never been that low since, although it was hovering around $350 for a long time after initial booking, and then crossed the $450 mark when we were about 3 or 4 months away. Now I see the same ridiculous pricing you do.

So maybe cabanas are priced like the cruise bookings -- lowest when they first become available, then higher and higher as the inventory dwindles.

35 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

It may just be a matter of the timing as far as the price charged. I booked our OTW cabana on Nellie's Beach the week they first became available (in February 2017, over a year before our sailing date). I don't know if it was because there was a sale going on, or because the inventory was brand new and they had no reservations (or maybe both?), but our cabana only cost me $255.75. It's never been that low since, although it was hovering around $350 for a long time after initial booking, and then crossed the $450 mark when we were about 3 or 4 months away. Now I see the same ridiculous pricing you do.

So maybe cabanas are priced like the cruise bookings -- lowest when they first become available, then higher and higher as the inventory dwindles.

That's a great deal!  Unfortunately, the cabanas on Barefoot beach don't even show up on the CP so you cannot take advantage of CP sales.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Throwing this wildcard out. If on sale for Nellie's, book then ask if it can be transferred/converted to Barefoot once onboard.

If you wait until you're onboard, the most popular Barefoot cabanas will definitely be gone.  If you don't care which one you get this might work.  I don't see them allowing you to do this without paying the price difference though

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you wait until you're onboard, the most popular Barefoot cabanas will definitely be gone.  If you don't care which one you get this might work.  I don't see them allowing you to do this without paying the price difference though

4 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Throwing this wildcard out. If on sale for Nellie's, book then ask if it can be transferred/converted to Barefoot once onboard.

Good suggestion, but I can't see them allowing that either. And I'm almost certain I would want a beachfront one and there's only 2 of those. Maybe RC will make it easy for me and jump the price on those. If it goes above $395 then I'm likely out.  Can't justify that.

• 2 weeks later...