Mayan ruins excursion cancelled!

mom2mybugs

So Royal just sent (3 weeks pre sail) an email saying my husbands chacchoben 4 hour trip has been cancelled.  Only other option that day (costa maya) are the kohunlich ruins.  Other than an extra hour each way (2 hrs total)...is there any difference? Are these ruins worth seeing?  He could try to see ruins in cozumel if these arent good but we have nachi planned that day and im guessing maya chan would be sold out at this point so we cant swap that for nachi.  Would love any input on ruins.  I hesitate to go with private tours as he is a worrier and he'd stress about getting back to the ship.  Jane

5 hours ago, DocLC said:

There are private excursions to the ruins if that's still what you want to do. My question, though, would be the reason behind the cancellation. 

They wrote:  

Dear Guests, As you prepare for this exciting vacation, we need to let you know that your upcoming tour reservation CM01 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya has been canceled due to operational reasons.

This was the same excursion (I believe)  that the bus crashed a few months ago.  However, I would think there are numerous private tours they could have linked up with so I wonder if that is it or something with the ruins.   Native choice still had the ruins listed though...  Jane 

Like your husband, I am a worrier...even after all the cruises we have taken.  I would be VERY reluctant to take a private tour to any Mayan ruins.  No....let me rephrase.  I would NEVER do it.

I have heard, but never seen, that the ruins on Coz. are pretty lame.  Not sure you would get the real impact of one of the big ruin sites.  The big ones are worth the time and money, IMO.

Frankly, I have never even heard of kohunlich; I did a google search and I have to say, they look pretty freakin' awesome.  I would say, if you and your husband had intended to do the Mayan Ruins thing while in Costa Maya, kohunlich might be worth the effort. 

f you had your hearts set on chacchoben and decide to wait until you can do that, I will say, Costa Maya is a really great port to just chill.  The "compound" is big, clean, new and has its own swim-up bar.  MANY people never even go outside the gates.  But if you go to Mahahual (a very inexpensive shuttle to get you there from the port) you can enjoy an easy day at the beach, too.  Frankly, I prefer Costa Maya to Cozumel and I WISH more ships went there.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Frankly, I prefer Costa Maya to Cozumel and I WISH more ships went there.

HI Raye, it's interesting you say that. I have been to Cozumel a few times a long time ago, but never Costa Maya. I too do not want to see the ruins plus hubby has a hip issue. So you can really have a nice beach/pool right at the pier there? I was going to maybe do resort for a day but if everything is right there might be worth just chilling out?  What do you like more about Costa Maya? Thank you!! 

Guest toodle68

A lot of the tours to the Mayan Ruins are significant distances so absolutely would not go private. Our one in Belize I think was 7 hours and the bus hauled butt to get back in time.

That was the one and only time we did such a trip on the buses and it was a little terrifying. I was not surprised at all by the recent bus accident and that, with our own experience, means we will not take another such trip.

31 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

HI Raye, it's interesting you say that. I have been to Cozumel a few times a long time ago, but never Costa Maya. I too do not want to see the ruins plus hubby has a hip issue. So you can really have a nice beach/pool right at the pier there? I was going to maybe do resort for a day but if everything is right there might be worth just chilling out?  What do you like more about Costa Maya? Thank you!! 

I too have a hip issue, its not bad but too much walking has it acting up.  Last week we were in costa maya and did the Segway tour.  It was fun and didn't bother my hip at all.

39 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Yes, you can definitely enjoy your day and never leave the compound at CM.  They have a nice beach area and the swim-up bar/pool, as I mentioned.  The shops are all new and it's quite a large compound, actually.  If you feel like getting out a little, there is a shuttle that will take you to the closest little town, Mahahual.  I love it there but in the end, it's just a beach.  If there are mobility issues involve, I think I would recommend just staying in the compound.

Why do I prefer CM to Coz ?  Probably just b/c Coz is such a built-up tourist area and CM is still relatively "primitive" (probably a poor choice of words).  Costa Maya is one of those ports that was built specifically as a cruise port by the cruise lines.  It is literally created out of nothing from the jungle.  That is why there is so little immediately outside the gates of the compound.  The Mayan-themed "amusement" park (I cannot recall the name at the moment) that has been built outside the gates is relatively new.  Back in the "old" days, there was literally NOTHING outside the gates.  So, as time goes by, they will build more and more attractions there and it will eventually become another Coz as long as the ships continue to stop there, but for me, it is a much more low-key and enjoyable stop than Coz.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, you can definitely enjoy your day and never leave the compound at CM.  They have a nice beach area and the swim-up bar/pool, as I mentioned.  The shops are all new and it's quite a large compound, actually.  If you feel like getting out a little, there is a shuttle that will take you to the closest little town, Mahahual.  I love it there but in the end, it's just a beach.  If there are mobility issues involve, I think I would recommend just staying in the compound.

Why do I prefer CM to Coz ?  Probably just b/c Coz is such a built-up tourist area and CM is still relatively "primitive" (probably a poor choice of words).  Costa Maya is one of those ports that was built specifically as a cruise port by the cruise lines.  It is literally created out of nothing from the jungle.  That is why there is so little immediately outside the gates of the compound.  The Mayan-themed "amusement" park (I cannot recall the name at the moment) that has been built outside the gates is relatively new.  Back in the "old" days, there was literally NOTHING outside the gates.  So, as time goes by, they will build more and more attractions there and it will eventually become another Coz as long as the ships continue to stop there, but for me, it is a much more low-key and enjoyable stop than Coz.

@Boston Babe, I agree with Raye, the main tourist area in CM is lovely.  It was quite a nice surprise when we went there for the first time in December.  There's even a Starbucks there.  And your walk to the beach/pool area might be closer in CM compared to Coz (depending on where the ship docks in Coz).  But I have to tell you, Coz is awesome for shopping!  So don't just stay on the ship for that port!

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

So don't just stay on the ship for that port!

Thanks so much @WAAAYTOOO and @Sabrinaklai, it sounds like we can just stay in the compound. It sounds like something we would really like, very low key.  Cozumel is a tourist trap but it is very pretty so we are probably doing Nachi. No shopping for this kid, I have to pay for cruises!! I've been to Cozumel before and it was built up then and that was dare I say, 1977, 1985, 1986 all on RCCL ships that are now scrap metal!!:15_yum:

6 hours ago, toodle68 said:

Segway..   You can explain how much your feet are going to ache and no one will believe you.. 

Are you talking about your feet hurting after you use a Segway ?  If so, I concur !  I was surprised how much riding a Segway killed my feet.  Something about the way you have to stand when you’re riding.  My calves absolutely killed me after the ride.

Also, if you’re planning on doing the Segway tour in Coz, be prepared for a VERY long walk to get to the Segway excursion.  I thought I was doing a Segway excursion to KEEP from having to walk but then it was a very long walk just to get there !

Just got back from our cruise on Rhapsody. We booked a tour thru Native Choice and it was one of the best non ship excursions we have done and we do at least 2 or  more non ship excursions on each of our last 4 cruises.  The tour name is Mayan Experience. The guide Eric was excellent. We ate a fabulous lunch as part o the tour. The tour is 5.5 hours. Just look at the reviews on cruise critic and trip advisor.  The ship docked at 7:30 and we got to the Native Choice officeat 8:30.  Just a short walk from the ships port.  We were back to the dock at 2:30.   Our excursion in Belieze was cancelled the night before.  We were going to do Mr. Sancho"s Beach club in Cozumel  but went shopping instead as there were 5 ships in port.  We ended our day in Cozumel  at Senior Frogs and had a blast.  If not the Native Choice tour that we highly recommend then do as  as WAAAYTOOO stated the beach compound  is very nice  and lots of nice new shops.  We don`t stress about not getting back to the ship ever as it is not worth it.  Nor have we ever missed a ship and have not heard of folks missing ships.  Feel free to contact me if you need any inf. Enjoy the cruise.

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Like your husband, I am a worrier...even after all the cruises we have taken.  I would be VERY reluctant to take a private tour to any Mayan ruins.  No....let me rephrase.  I would NEVER do it.

I have heard, but never seen, that the ruins on Coz. are pretty lame.  Not sure you would get the real impact of one of the big ruin sites.  The big ones are worth the time and money, IMO.

Frankly, I have never even heard of kohunlich; I did a google search and I have to say, they look pretty freakin' awesome.  I would say, if you and your husband had intended to do the Mayan Ruins thing while in Costa Maya, kohunlich might be worth the effort. 

f you had your hearts set on chacchoben and decide to wait until you can do that, I will say, Costa Maya is a really great port to just chill.  The "compound" is big, clean, new and has its own swim-up bar.  MANY people never even go outside the gates.  But if you go to Mahahual (a very inexpensive shuttle to get you there from the port) you can enjoy an easy day at the beach, too.  Frankly, I prefer Costa Maya to Cozumel and I WISH more ships went there.

The giant masks sound very cool.  My daughter and i were in costa maya in 2015 on our first cruise.  We went to chacchoben and then hung out on the public beach before getting her hair braided at the port area.  It was a great day.  I wasnt going to do the ruins this time at all...she and i were going to hit the port and then maybe try the flow rider for the first time.  My husband is a high school world history teacher so he would love to see ruins.  Im thinking for sure its a rc tour or nothing...if he missed the boat he would kill me lol!  Jane