How does Harmony of the Seas Voom compare to Anthem (or any of the older ships?)

Hi Guys,

I know that Harmony (and I guess Symphony when it comes out) has the "best" internet on a cruise ship and many people including Matt has raved about it... I dont know if I just had really bad luck when I went in December, or if it was the location of our stateroom pretty much 3 doors away from the back/ aft, but my internet was not what I would perceive as fast or reliable.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high when I signed up for the Stream and Surf package but streaming definitely was not feasible certain days... I did notice that mid-ship...or at least in the public areas (windjammer at least), the speed seemed to have improved. I was using an iphoneX, iphone 6 plus, ipad air 2... all pretty much had similar issues across the board. Im pretty sure I took a few speedtests, just gotta find them...

As much as I would like to just disconnect from the "real" world while on vacation, I actually have to be fairly accessible if work (or family) needs me so booking a cruise, reliable internet speeds is kind of key. 

IF the internet is about the same as Harmony's, I think I can get away with or just deal with it... I am just concerned if I book anything older than Harmony, that the internet would decrease dramatically? 

There is a lot of steel on ships including the steel cabin door.  Perfect coverage in every cabin is unlikely.  Even hotels suffer from the same issue.  I've had cabins with great coverage in my cabin and some with poor coverage in my cabin.  Same with various public areas around any ship.  There will be spots with poor wifi coverage or so many people connected it can impact performance.  

Beyond wifi coverage there is the matter of the satellite connection on the ship.  All Oasis and Quantum class ships use the same system.  All ships limit individual speeds for Surf & Stream to around 4Mb down and 2 Mb up.  This is to avoid one person hogging all the bandwidth.  

Another factor that many people don't consider for the new ships that use medium earth orbiting satellites is that these satellites are moving, circling the earth. There are a number of them following each other but at some point the system will lose a satellite as it moves away and the ship has to find the next one rising on the opposite horizon.  

Rain has a major impact on Satellite signal so if there are rain clouds on one horizon but none on the other that can impact ship internet at times.

Combine all these - poor wifi in one particular cabin, a satellite moving away or behind a rain cloud and performance can vary sometimes.  

All this to say, ship internet isn't perfect but compared to other cruise lines Voom works amazingly well.  Land based internet will always seem better, but I've had great experiences on both Anthem and Harmony most of the time.   

I streamed NFL playoffs walking around Anthem a couple weeks ago.  No issues.  

The ships that use the new O3b satellite platform that Harmony uses includes Oasis, Allure, Harmony,  Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Freedom and Independence.  Symphony will too.  Many of us are hoping more ships get upgraded to O3b but who knows.  With the exception of Ovation and Quantum I've had Voom on all the ships above and they all worked great, most of the time.  

7 hours ago, twangster said:

There is a lot of steel on ships including the steel cabin door.  Perfect coverage in every cabin is unlikely.  Even hotels suffer from the same issue.  I've had cabins with great coverage in my cabin and some with poor coverage in my cabin.  Same with various public areas around any ship.  There will be spots with poor wifi coverage or so many people connected it can impact performance.  

Beyond wifi coverage there is the matter of the satellite connection on the ship.  All Oasis and Quantum class ships use the same system.  All ships limit individual speeds for Surf & Stream to around 4Mb down and 2 Mb up.  This is to avoid one person hogging all the bandwidth.  

Another factor that many people don't consider for the new ships that use medium earth orbiting satellites is that these satellites are moving, circling the earth. There are a number of them flowing each other but at some point the system will lose a satellite as it moves away and the ship has to find the next one rising on the opposite horizon.  

Rain has a major impact on Satellite signal so if there are rain clouds on one horizon but none on the other that can impact ship internet at times.

Combine all these - poor wifi in one particular cabin, a satellite moving away or behind a rain cloud and performance can vary sometimes.  

All this to say, ship internet isn't perfect but compared to other cruise lines Voom works amazingly well.  Land based internet will always seem better, but I've had great experiences on both Anthem and Harmony most of the time.   

I streamed NFL playoffs walking around Anthem a couple weeks ago.  No issues.  

The ships that use the new O3b satellite platform that Harmony uses includes Oasis, Allure, Harmony,  Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Freedom and Independence.  Symphony will too.  Many of us are hoping more ships get upgraded to O3b but who knows.  With the exception of Ovation and Quantum I've had Voom on all the ships above and they all worked great, most of the time.  

WOW. this is an amazing explanation @twangster ! I guess for now I have to limit myself to those ships you mentioned (Oasis, Allure, Harmony,  Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Freedom and Independence)...

Any chance you recall what ships of those you mentioned you had good success on state room wise? outside of Anthem I guess?

1 minute ago, TheaFromCDA said:

WOW. this is an amazing explanation @twangster ! I guess for now I have to limit myself to those ships you mentioned (Oasis, Allure, Harmony,  Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Freedom and Independence)...

Any chance you recall what ships of those you mentioned you had good success on state room wise? outside of Anthem I guess?

I've sailed Anthem in 3 different cabins.  Two balcony and an interior.  Two cabins were fine, one was fringe coverage.  In that cabin I found if I hang my phone near the cabin door and use my bluetooth headset I could do wifi phone calls just fine.  If I put my phone on my nightstand beside the bed wifi would drop overnight as the signal was too weak all the way into the cabin. 

Something I sail with now is a wifi travel router.  I use this in my cabin so I can share my single Voom connection between my laptop and my phone while I am in the cabin.  It has a better wifi antenna on it and an added benefit is that it produces its own wifi signal so my phone can be anywhere in the cabin, sort of like a repeater.

5a73180db6cb3_AnthemRouter-1.jpg.d0ee242508929795de08412a9de3d904.jpg

Short of that one Anthem cabin, most of my experience on other ships has been good in the cabin.  Perfect?  Not exactly but good enough to work from the ships, sit on two hour long conference calls, participate in GoTo Meetings, etc.

On older ships that do not have O3b the latency is nearly triple, often over 600ms.  For wifi phone calls that isn't the best but depending on your tolerance can still be doable at times.  Normal non-voice stuff like text, email, web browsing works pretty well but voice calls and video chatting suffers due to the delay.  Consistent throughput also suffers on these ships.  Rain seems to affect them more.

Having said all this, even the older Royal Caribbean ship Voom works so much better that other cruise lines and I am being super critical pointing out the worst just so you understand the worst it will be.

O3b only works between 45° S and 45°N latitude so parts of Northern Europe, Canada, Alaska and parts of New Zealand are technically outside of the intended O3b coverage area.  Even newer ships have to switch over to the older geostationary satellite (non-O3b) when the O3b signal weakens in these areas.

Wow...I will look to invest in that Wifi Travel Router... It was a bit of a pain switching between devices and that was just when I didnt have to remote or call in to work 

Thank you again!

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've sailed Anthem in 3 different cabins.  Two balcony and an interior.  Two cabins were fine, one was fringe coverage.  In that cabin I found if I hang my phone near the cabin door and use my bluetooth headset I could do wifi phone calls just fine.  If I put my phone on my nightstand beside the bed wifi would drop overnight as the signal was too weak all the way into the cabin. 

Something I sail with now is a wifi travel router.  I use this in my cabin so I can share my single Voom connection between my laptop and my phone while I am in the cabin.  It has a better wifi antenna on it and an added benefit is that it produces its own wifi signal so my phone can be anywhere in the cabin, sort of like a repeater.

5a73180db6cb3_AnthemRouter-1.jpg.d0ee242508929795de08412a9de3d904.jpg

Short of that one Anthem cabin, most of my experience on other ships has been good in the cabin.  Perfect?  Not exactly but good enough to work from the ships, sit on two hour long conference calls, participate in GoTo Meetings, etc.

On older ships that do not have O3b the latency is nearly triple, often over 600ms.  For wifi phone calls that isn't the best but depending on your tolerance can still be doable at times.  Normal non-voice stuff like text, email, web browsing works pretty well but voice calls and video chatting suffers due to the delay.  Consistent throughput also suffers on these ships.  Rain seems to affect them more.

Having said all this, even the older Royal Caribbean ship Voom works so much better that other cruise lines and I am being super critical pointing out the worst just so you understand the worst it will be.

O3b only works between 45° S and 45°N latitude so parts of Northern Europe, Canada, Alaska and parts of New Zealand are technically outside of the intended O3b coverage area.  Even newer ships have to switch over to the older geostationary satellite (non-O3b) when the O3b signal weakens in these areas.

The one I use now is an AC750 and it recently replaced an older MR-3040.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517493346&sr=8-5&keywords=ac750

$45 USD on Amazon.  

My older one was only 2.4GHz (802.11b/g) but the new one is also 5GHz capable (802.11ac).

Combined with a small battery pack it's small enough to throw in a pocket and carry with you but it works best in the cabin.

Around the ship I log into Voom directly on my phone.  Upon returning to the cabin I make a point of logging out of Voom, connecting to my own SSID and then logging back into Voom through my travel router.  Now my laptop can join the party. Leaving the cabin I logoff Voom, disconnect from my SSID and join 'royal-wifi' then log back into Voom.  It seems to work best when you make a point of logging out of Voom first before logging in on another device. 

I do industrial wifi for a living.  Manufacturing with location tracking, outdoor mesh networks, etc. so this stuff comes pretty easy to me.  

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

The one I use now is an AC750 and it recently replaced an older MR-3040.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517493346&sr=8-5&keywords=ac750

$45 USD on Amazon.  

My older one was only 2.4GHz (802.11b/g) but the new one is also 5GHz capable (802.11ac).

Combined with a small battery pack it's small enough to throw in a pocket and carry with you but it works best in the cabin.

Around the ship I log into Voom directly on my phone.  Upon returning to the cabin I make a point of logging out of Voom, connecting to my own SSID and then logging back into Voom through my travel router.  Now my laptop can join the party. Leaving the cabin I logoff Voom, disconnect from my SSID and join 'royal-wifi' then log back into Voom.  It seems to work best when you make a point of logging out of Voom first before logging in on another device. 

I do industrial wifi for a living.  Manufacturing with location tracking, outdoor mesh networks, etc. so this stuff comes pretty easy to me.  

What do you think of this one?

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-10400mAh-External-Performance/dp/B074LHG47K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517494057&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=wireless+travel+router&psc=1

supposedly also serves as a portable battery pack so I dont know if it can power itself and save me having to connect....

or should I just copycat you and get the TL-WR902AC? when you say small battery pack...what mAh would you recommend?

8 hours ago, twangster said:

All ships limit individual speeds for Surf & Stream to around 4Mb down and 2 Mb up.

My house doesn't have fiber yet and this is close to what I get at home some days (mainly weekends when the lines are shared by many). They don't seem to handle traffic well here unless with the new companies that use fiber only. 

I looked at the HooToo.  I've used TP Link for years (MR-3040) so I went with TP-Link since I know it.  

The HooToo may be fine but I'm sometimes leery of small unknown vendors.  Batteries are something you have to be careful with.  What happens in two years when that battery dies?  Or what if its a cheap battery that has issues like swelling when charging?  It's probably fine but I don't want a cheap battery from China catching fire in my cabin while I'm drinking in the pub.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.    

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I looked at the HooToo.  I've used TP Link for years (MR-3040) so I went with TP-Link since I know it.  

The HooToo may be fine but I'm sometimes leery of small unknown vendors.  Batteries are something you have to be careful with.  What happens in two years when that battery dies?  Or what if its a cheap battery that has issues like swelling when charging?  It's probably fine but I don't want a cheap battery from China catching fire in my cabin while I'm drinking in the pub.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.    

that makes total sense.. now that you point it out, I have TP Link as my router at home, as well as my smart plugs so maybe ill go that route instead and invest in a smaller portable pack... the one I tend to carry around with me is heavy ...maybe because its 20 or 30,000 mAh

how often do you think these need replacing? Think companies will ever come out with a AC 1200 (or higher) for a portable unit like this one? I live in Canada and although those items ARE available to me..its cheaper when I order it via .COM... which means a road trip to Buffalo so returns arent exactly the easiest :S 

4 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

which means a road trip to Buffalo so returns arent exactly the easiest

I remember those days. I used to live in Hamilton so would drive over and buy groceries, beer and heck one time I bought brand new tires for my car and saved like 50%. Plus we loved to just drive around so was a great road trip on the weekend. 

that makes total sense.. now that you point it out, I have TP Link as my router at home, as well as my smart plugs so maybe ill go that route instead and invest in a smaller portable pack... the one I tend to carry around with me is heavy ...maybe because its 20 or 30,000 mAh

how often do you think these need replacing? Think companies will ever come out with a AC 1200 (or higher) for a portable unit like this one? I live in Canada and although those items ARE available to me..its cheaper when I order it via .COM... which means a road trip to Buffalo so returns arent exactly the easiest :S 

For the application, I don't need AC1200 or beyond.  

I bought mine for traveling in hotel rooms and cruise ships.  It's small and lightweight.  I don't need multi-gig throughput when traveling.  I don't need to be the strongest access point on the seas so that three ships over in port they see my signal.  In fact I don't want that.  This little guy is all I need for a small hotel room or cabin on a ship.  It isn't going to take down the ship wifi because it's too strong or obliterating the entire spectrum so I'm less likely to draw the attention of on-board IT.  

Why pay for stuff I don't need?

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Twangster, do you need to be able to "program" anything to use that travel router ?  I can barely log onto a device so if you have to do much more than that it would be useless to me.

Seems like a useful device though...if it's not too tech-intensive to use.

There is some tech to it.  For geeks like me it's not a consideration. 

I'm not sure I'd ever mention this to my parents though.  In fact if they saw this I'd tell them that guy's a nut and don't do that!

Most of the time this will be a one time setup at the beginning of the cruise and you're good.  It's when things don't work normally, when the train leaves the rails, that you need to be a bit geeky to get it back on the tracks.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure I'd ever mention this to my parents though.  In fact if they saw this I'd tell them that guy's a nut and don't do that!

Most of the time this will be a one time setup at the beginning of the cruise and you're good.  It's when things don't work normally, when the train leaves the rails, that you need to be a bit geeky to get it back on the tracks.

Thanks.  Note to self:  Don't do that !

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not knowing the tech on RCL what setup do they require? Going to be getting one (unless my dad has one lying around as he buys new routers every trip but they all seem to disappear later) 

Just now, LetsTryThisTech said:

Not knowing the tech on RCL what setup do they require? Going to be getting one (unless my dad has one lying around as he buys new routers every trip but they all seem to disappear later) 

Maybe I'll do a thread on it with screen shots when I'm Liberty in a couple weeks.  

Out of the box from the factory each has a unique passphrase for it's unique SSID.  It also has a unique password to log into the router.  

First time it walks you through a setup script.  The device can be used in different capacities from a standard firewall at home to a repeater.  In this application it allows you to search for existing SSIDs to join, then asks what you want your own SSID to be and what security you want for it.  It then reboots and that's it.  

Part of the problem is that it finds many different access points on the ship all broadcasting the same SSID 'royal-wifi'.  If you pick one that is barely detectable it will likely not work well.  You need to pay attention to the signal strength for each and pick a strong one.    My old MR-3040 was particularly bad at this, it locked onto the ONE you told it to and wouldn't try to use a better access point on the ship.  The AC750 seems to be much better at this.  

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

I remember those days. I used to live in Hamilton so would drive over and buy groceries, beer and heck one time I bought brand new tires for my car and saved like 50%. Plus we loved to just drive around so was a great road trip on the weekend. 

I live close to the Oakville area... so slightly farther out but honestly worth it to go hit up Walmart and Trader joes.. even the Costco in Rochester and now with Amazon locker pickups.. kinda a no brainer for some items that are 2x the cost on .ca vs .com

1 hour ago, twangster said:

St Catharines native.

Off topic but: Are you guys BOTH from Ontario, Canada still then? how often do you guys cruise per year then? I am so jealous of @Matt and the others that are within an hour's drive from a cruise port 

42 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maybe I'll do a thread on it with screen shots when I'm Liberty in a couple weeks.  

Out of the box from the factory each has a unique passphrase for it's unique SSID.  It also has a unique password to log into the router.  

First time it walks you through a setup script.  The device can be used in different capacities from a standard firewall at home to a repeater.  In this application it allows you to search for existing SSIDs to join, then asks what you want your own SSID to be and what security you want for it.  It then reboots and that's it.  

Part of the problem is that it finds many different access points on the ship all broadcasting the same SSID 'royal-wifi'.  If you pick one that is barely detectable it will likely not work well.  You need to pay attention to the signal strength for each and pick a strong one.    My old MR-3040 was particularly bad at this, it locked onto the ONE you told it to and wouldn't try to use a better access point on the ship.  The AC750 seems to be much better at this.  

SEEMS simple enough... but would definitely be grateful for a walkthrough just in case 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

For the application, I don't need AC1200 or beyond.  

I bought mine for traveling in hotel rooms and cruise ships. Why pay for stuff I don't need?

That makes total sense..sadly I'm one of those with a serious case of FOMO when it comes to tech...which pretty much means all the time as technology is ever evolving

14 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Off topic but: Are you guys BOTH from Ontario, Canada still then? how often do you guys cruise per year then? I am so jealous of @Matt and the others that are within an hour's drive from a cruise port 

Nope went to Mohawk and moved back to Grand Cayman where I have been since I was in my early teens. When I went on my first cruise I was still in Ontario and it was way cheaper to fly out of Buffalo. I now live about an hour to an hour and a half plane ride to ports.

1 minute ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Nope went to Mohawk and moved back to Grand Cayman where I have been since I was in my early teens. When I went on my first cruise I was still in Ontario and it was way cheaper to fly out of Buffalo. I now live about an hour to an hour and a half plane ride to ports.

lucky :P

On 2/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, TheaFromCDA said:

I live close to the Oakville area... so slightly farther out but honestly worth it to go hit up Walmart and Trader joes.. even the Costco in Rochester and now with Amazon locker pickups.. kinda a no brainer for some items that are 2x the cost on .ca vs .com

Hi neighbour! I live in Oakville, feel your cruising pain LOL.

17 minutes ago, accio7 said:

Hi neighbour! I live in Oakville, feel your cruising pain LOL.

10 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

if you ever have any tips on how to save a $ let me know lol

Move west down the 401.  Great thing about border cities are that all American shopping is super close and flying out of a US airport of more convenient.  I still need to retire and move to Florida though.  Long term goals lol

13 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Move west down the 401.  Great thing about border cities are that all American shopping is super close and flying out of a US airport of more convenient.  I still need to retire and move to Florida though.  Long term goals lol

LOL...sadly I have another 24 years before I can retire at age 55 LOL ...not to get political but I was listening to @Matt and his guest that wrote the Guide to Disney saying how much they expect sea levels to rise...Ill keep my fingers crossed they they'll sail some of the nicer newer ships out of Bayonne at least so we can drive there easier (supposedly only an 8 hour drive lol)

Where further down the 401 are you suggesting lol? I thought we were doing so well being only a 2 hour drive to Buffalo :4_joy:

7 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

LOL...sadly I have another 24 years before I can retire at age 55 LOL ...not to get political but I was listening to @Matt and his guest that wrote the Guide to Disney saying how much they expect sea levels to rise...Ill keep my fingers crossed they they'll sail some of the nicer newer ships out of Bayonne at least so we can drive there easier (supposedly only an 8 hour drive lol)

Where further down the 401 are you suggesting lol? I thought we were doing so well being only a 2 hour drive to Buffalo :4_joy:

I drive 45min to DTW, sometimes less depending on customs.  Door to parking lot.

26 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I drive 45min to DTW, sometimes less depending on customs.  Door to parking lot.

LOL.. nice... given I don't think my SO would want to move to Windsor . hypothetically, so long as a massive winter snow doesnt hit... from his house is only 1 hr 20 min to BUF. Spirit flies out of IAG but I'm a bit scared to fly spirit considering they only have one flight out and if they cancel it... youre SOL :(

When I was booking my flights it was actually either cheaper or the same to fly out of YYZ... now and then you catch a good Porter deal out of YTZ but I dont ever know if I should book flight then cruise (on "last minute" I just want to see sun spur-of-the-moment kind of feeling) or vice versa lol

31 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

LOL.. nice... given I don't think my SO would want to move to Windsor . hypothetically, so long as a massive winter snow doesnt hit... from his house is only 1 hr 20 min to BUF. Spirit flies out of IAG but I'm a bit scared to fly spirit considering they only have one flight out and if they cancel it... youre SOL :(

When I was booking my flights it was actually either cheaper or the same to fly out of YYZ... now and then you catch a good Porter deal out of YTZ but I dont ever know if I should book flight then cruise (on "last minute" I just want to see sun spur-of-the-moment kind of feeling) or vice versa lol

I hear Southwest is decent out of Buffalo...

Just now, Sabrinaklai said:

I hear Southwest is decent out of Buffalo...

May not necessarily apply since youre a teacher and your vacation is set (im guessing?)  but on spur of the moment cruises, do you book flight then cruise? or vice versa? B/c matt did that show on last minute cruises and hes like... check the flights lol. or is it a simultaneous thing?

May not necessarily apply since youre a teacher and your vacation is set (im guessing?)  but on spur of the moment cruises, do you book flight then cruise? or vice versa? B/c matt did that show on last minute cruises and hes like... check the flights lol. or is it a simultaneous thing?

I have never booked a cruise late minute. My Type A nature does not allow for it.  Here is a thread by @JLMoran that we discussed a lot about flights and pricing...