Youth spa is back, but with a HUGE "but..."

JLMoran

Now here's a surprise! After reading about the unlimited gym class offering here, I logged in to my cruise planner to see if it was there on my sailing. It is, but at the moment I can't actually purchase it --- trying to add it to my cart tells me it's not a valid selection. But there was a surprise in store as I was scrolling through what was suddenly a much larger set of spa offerings: All of a sudden there are "YSpa" offerings again!

5a675243642f3_YSpainCruisePlanner.thumb.png.29ea6c39a788fcd48b207a1d78f01954.png

I was so excited that I messaged my wife to see if she wanted to cancel her existing massage appointment and replace it with the mother/daughter massage now on offer, and of course she said yes. So I cancel her booking, go to add the mother/daughter one to our cart...

and see the restriction "Must be at least 18"

Wait, what? :42_confused:

I called Royal to get some clarification on that. Surely that just means that the mother has to be at least 18 and the daughter can be whatever teenage years she happens to be, right? The mom will be right there with the daughter, there's not a risk of something unwelcome happening.

Well, nope. I called up Royal to get clarification on that, and after the rep spoke with his supervisor he confirmed that the restriction applies to both mother and daughter. I was told that my wife could go to the spa with our daughter when we board and see if they'd be willing to make an exception, but that restriction is firm for advance purchases and there is no way we can book that on the cruise planner.

Sorry, but why in God's green Earth are you calling this "services for teens"? This is "services for people who have just crossed the threshold into adulthood", not teens (which in my book would go down to at least 15, if not the standard definition of, "Any age that ends in '-teen' "). I realize in the #MeToo climate that businesses are probably making damn sure they don't run any risk of harassment / child abuse accusations, but this smacks more than a little bit of disingenuousness.

Epilogue:

So I say to my wife, "OK, let's just re-book your individual massage so you still have the slot, and you can still do the check with the spa staff on embarkation day and re-cancel / switch the booking if they say they'll make an exception." All cool, hunky-dory...

And re-booking her massage is now costing me an additional $15 over the original booking from a few months ago. :33_unamused: I can't be mad at Royal on this one, I should have read that fine print before I jumped the gun and canceled the original booking. But I'm still annoyed by it.

Spas are run by Steiner Transocean LTD.  Those aren't true RCI or RCCL employees on board.  Likely a restriction placed in effect by Steiner.  Some spa services are likely safer for them to provide to someone who is the age of majority, or no longer a minor, however you want to express it, regardless if parents are nearby and authorize it.  

I'm thinking this is one of those policies likely in place due to some incident in the past.  Something happened, parents got lawyer involved, Steiner creates new policy.

I'd suggest calling back again and asking someone different.

The YSPA is designed for teens. The fact it says 18+ is more likely that the site reuses same info all spa services than anything else.  I mean, why else would it be listed as "Services for Teens"?

I feel like there has to be a Cruise Planner flowchart somewhere that almost always leads to the site being incorrect.

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

What a bummer @JLMoran....I would maybe call back as well.  We already know that the reps all have varying levels of knowledge.  Other cruise lines offer teen services for kids under 18 but I can also see what @twangster is saying.  I would not just let it go yet.

Based on @twangster's other reply about the yoga classes in my other thread, and requiring a signed waiver from a parent for both gym classes and massage, I'm inclined to believe the RCI rep this time around. Can't sign or even get the waivers online, so we'll have to wait until we're on board. At that point I'm sure it won't be an issue to cancel the re-booked solo massage and swap it out for the mother-daughter one, as long as they have some slots left open (just maybe not on the day / at the time they'd most prefer).

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Based on @twangster's other reply about the yoga classes in my other thread, and requiring a signed waiver from a parent for both gym classes and massage, I'm inclined to believe the RCI rep this time around. Can't sign or even get the waivers online, so we'll have to wait until we're on board. At that point I'm sure it won't be an issue to cancel the re-booked solo massage and swap it out for the mother-daughter one, as long as they have some slots left open (just maybe not on the day / at the time they'd most prefer).

I see, I just read that other thread now.  Makes sense.  If you do that as soon as you get on board there will probably be room.  Good luck :12_slight_smile:

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I wouldn't worry about finding availability particularly on port days but even on sea days.  Don't wait until the day of, but if you visit the spa on day 1 I think you'll find plenty of availability.  

6 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

emailed, said I was considering the cruise. I'm just curious. there is so much conflicting information on their website it's very hard to comprehend! 

I will be very curious to see what you find.   I am cruising the week before  Joe and I did the same thing... got excited for the teen stuff and then realized my 15 year old couldn't do any of them.   This just seems ridiculous!  Jane

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

This just seems ridiculous!  Jane

Doesn't it Jane? I emailed him but didn't hear back yet. I'm going to call him. I don't know if you're aware as I wasnt till I had to call them, there is actually a Cruise Planner division that helps with just the Cruise Planner versus talking to a res agent. Might be something to try too. I think of teens as 13-17!! LOL

14 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Doesn't it Jane? I emailed him but didn't hear back yet. I'm going to call him. I don't know if you're aware as I wasnt till I had to call them, there is actually a Cruise Planner division that helps with just the Cruise Planner versus talking to a res agent. Might be something to try too. I think of teens as 13-17!! LOL

I didn't know that... interesting!  And yes... teens are 13 to 17...18 year olds are adults in theory!   Jane