Pre-cruise Hotel Recommendation for Miami

Any suggestions for a hotel close to the Port of Miami?  Looking for something nice, clean, close to the port and airport, and with restaurants within walking distance.  We'll likely be taking a cab everywhere so distance matters.  Uber and Lyft doesn't work well when you're Canadian and have no data in the US :12_slight_smile:

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami and the Intercontinental are both downtown and walking distance to the Bayside Marketplace which has several restaurants and shopping options.  It's literally just across the street from the Holiday Inn and through a small park from the Intercontinental.  Both are about a 5 minute drive across the bridge to the port.  We are staying at the Holiday Inn for a cruise sailing out of there at the end of the month.  There is also a YVE and a couple other options nearby I believe, but those were the two I narrowed it down to before booking.

1 minute ago, NS8VN said:

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami and the Intercontinental are both downtown and walking distance to the Bayside Marketplace which has several restaurants and shopping options.  It's literally just across the street from the Holiday Inn and through a small park from the Intercontinental.  Both are about a 5 minute drive across the bridge to the port.  We are staying at the Holiday Inn for a cruise sailing out of there at the end of the month.  There is also a YVE and a couple other options nearby I believe, but those were the two I narrowed it down to before booking.

I really want to stay at the Intercontinental but the price is so high!  That's why I need to re-think...

12 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Any suggestions for a hotel close to the Port of Miami?  Looking for something nice, clean, close to the port and airport, and with restaurants within walking distance.  We'll likely be taking a cab everywhere so distance matters.  Uber and Lyft doesn't work well when you're Canadian and have no data in the US :12_slight_smile:

We stayed at the Langford Hotel at 121 SE 1st Street. It's downtown in an older part of Miami. Small place, older hotel but clean, nice and close to the port. Meets all your criteria.

13 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

.  Uber and Lyft doesn't work well when you're Canadian and have no data in the US :12_slight_smile:

I would pay the cpl bucks for the data...the money you would save on ONE taxi fare would more than pay for it.  Don't know what carrier you are with but most now either offer like $5 or$10/day for roaming or pay as you go. The last time I was in the US for 3 days it cost me less than $5 and I talked, texted and used data.

If your not so worried about the cost of the cabs, then it allows you to look at other hotel options. Not just the ones that are closer or walking distance etc. :)

Our routine is to stay at either Best Western or Comfort Suites at the airport the night before cruise.  They run about $200 for one night.  No restaurants nearby but we order a Pizza Hut delivered which is just down the street.  Works for us. 

Oh, and they both have shuttles from airport to hotel and from hotel to pier.  

Edited by craig403
forgot something

14 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

If you are up to staying in South Beach, we stayed at Hotel Ocean booked through Kayak for the Navigator Group Cruise last February. We paid $149 plus tax and got a pretty cool room. Fortunately, we were far enough off the street that the partying sounds of Ocean Drive didn't filter to our room. That might be the only concern about staying in that location. The people watching in that area is very interesting. Our room was clean and nice. It was not a cookie cutter. The beach is directly across the street.

There is no shortage of restaurants, it is definitely South Beachy and fun. We walked a few blocks to a Cuban restaurant called Puerto Sagua the night before, and it was spectacular food. It is close enough to the South Pointe Park Pier if you want to get up early enough for a walk to watch the ships come in. It's an amazing thing to see from the beach and the pier area. It is a 10 minute Cab/Uber/Lyft to Port Miami.

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I would pay the cpl bucks for the data...the money you would save on ONE taxi fare would more than pay for it.  Don't know what carrier you are with but most now either offer like $5 or$10/day for roaming or pay as you go. The last time I was in the US for 3 days it cost me less than $5 and I talked, texted and used data.

My plan is through Telus right now.  I will have to look into the roaming plan they might have.  Thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay said:

If you are up to staying in South Beach, we stayed at Hotel Ocean booked through Kayak for the Navigator Group Cruise last February. We paid $149 plus tax and got a pretty cool room. Fortunately, we were far enough off the street that the partying sounds of Ocean Drive didn't filter to our room. That might be the only concern about staying in that location. The people watching in that area is very interesting. Our room was clean and nice. It was not a cookie cutter. The beach is directly across the street.

There is no shortage of restaurants, it is definitely South Beachy and fun. We walked a few blocks to a Cuban restaurant called Puerto Sagua the night before, and it was spectacular food. It is close enough to the South Pointe Park Pier if you want to get up early enough for a walk to watch the ships come in. It's an amazing thing to see from the beach and the pier area. It is a 10 minute Cab/Uber/Lyft to Port Miami.

Thanks @spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay!  I am once again out of reactions , and I only gave out 3 today? ?