Travel agency?

MEI is used by a very large number of regular contributors to this site and the overall experience has been very good….self included. No complaints at all. With that said, agents aren’t going to really save you money, other than maybe a $50 to $100 OBC here or there. They exist to save you hassle and stress. Generally the discount agents will give you discount service, which isn’t a good thing when you need them to come through for you. 

7 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

MEI is used by a very large number of regular contributors to this site and the overall experience has been very good….self included. No complaints at all. With that said, agents aren’t going to really save you money, other than maybe a $50 to $100 OBC here or there. They exist to save you hassle and stress. Generally the discount agents will give you discount service, which isn’t a good thing when you need them to come through for you. 

The prices I have been quoted from Josh have always been lower and refundable!!!  He also includes OBC.  No, I do not book suites (I’m considered…at least by this blog community…as a “Poor”) but I always book OV Balcs.  Also…The refundable price is typically lower than the non refundable price!

7 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

With that said, agents aren’t going to really save you money, other than maybe a $50 to $100 OBC here or there. They exist to save you hassle and stress.

Access to group rates is where the TA can save you money. If you're booking insides or balconies for 2, there may be a group rate set up already for your sailing if you work with a TA that is part of a larger consortium. This is where you could see significant savings if you are booking more than 120 days out (before the group blocks have to be given back).

Just don't blindly go to an agent to book - get recommendations of specific agents from agencies before you decide to use one.  Just because there is a prefered agency in the group, doesn't mean all the agents are stellar.

The last thing you want to hear when messaging your agent is "I'll get to it later", "I'm working right now and don't have time", or "I was travelling and didn't have access to your booking" 

There are a lot of people out there that get affiliated with a larger travel agency because they want the commissions on their own sailings/bookings.  They started helping out friends and opened their availability to outside bookings because that commission is decent as a side hustle.  But they still have full-time day jobs, many professionally, where they aren't always available.  Maybe its just me but anything longer than 4 hours during the day or 12 hours with a 8P or later inquiry/request is too long, especially when you find a sale price.

I have done 1 cruise and have 2 more booked. The latest booking last month was the first time I used a travel agent. I went with Harr Travel and got an awesome deal. I don't know much about travel agencies so I think you just look around and find one you like and are good with communicating with you.

I'd say it depends on how active you want to be with your booking. We have used big online companies, local and MEI. We are very active in our bookings, checking pricing for the cruises, excursions, beverages, dining etc. on a regular basis. It is part of the fun for us. in the end, we found big online the best for our ndividial needs. They have few discounts from what Royal provides directly but the most OBC. A lot more obc. We used the big onlines during covid with rebooks, cancellations etc and had no issues. To us, the obc is worth is being a little more involved. But local and MEI have also been great. 

On 2/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, Sea Squirrel said:

I'd say it depends on how active you want to be with your booking. We have used big online companies, local and MEI. We are very active in our bookings, checking pricing for the cruises, excursions, beverages, dining etc. on a regular basis. It is part of the fun for us. in the end, we found big online the best for our ndividial needs. They have few discounts from what Royal provides directly but the most OBC. A lot more obc. We used the big onlines during covid with rebooks, cancellations etc and had no issues. To us, the obc is worth is being a little more involved. But local and MEI have also been great. 

I've never used a travel agent, but am considering it for a late-2025 cruise. I'm not familiar with "big online" companies that offer more obc...are you able to give some examples? And do they offer refundable deposits? Thanks!