Nassau Bahamas

My local paper has warned several times now in this past couple of weeks about a warning notice the State Department has put out regarding Nassau. From the paper - "United States residents traveling to the Bahamas should exercise “extreme caution” in Nassau in the wake of 18 murders since Jan. 1, the State Department said in a new travel advisory." I normally don't go outside of the port for this very reason. But, what are your thoughts?

And if it is that bad, then why would Royal still be making port calls there?

1 hour ago, Safemike1 said:

"United States residents traveling to the Bahamas should exercise “extreme caution” in Nassau in the wake of 18 murders since Jan. 1, the State Department said in a new travel advisory."

Your local paper is wrong. The State Department said exercise increased caution, Level 2 out of a 4-level severity scale. The same level as several European countries like France, Germany and the UK and the same level as (or even lower level than) several commonly visited Caribbean nations.

Most US ports that RC sails out of are just as dangerous, if not worse, than any destination ports….with exceptions. If I sensationalized all of the crime and murders that happen in Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles or Baltimore..you wouldn’t be very excited to go there either.

People always say how unsafe Jamaica is. I spent a week there every other year and find it much more safe than Los Angeles where I live. It’s all about being smart and knowing your surroundings. Common sense goes a long way

7 hours ago, Safemike1 said:

I normally don't go outside of the port for this very reason. But, what are your thoughts?

And if it is that bad, then why would Royal still be making port calls there?

Two separate questions, of course, but:

1) You're missing a perfectly fine place. I've been around even the "sketchiest" areas of Nassau and have been perfectly fine. Like most places in the world, trouble usually won't come to you unless you seek it out. 

2) Because they can make money and their insurance carrier(s) aren't too concerned about it. 

It looks like the majority of the incidents involve gangs targeting each other.

A concerning part is that these attacks have spread from the overnight hours into the daytime…more brazen. Therefore the possibility exists that they could also spread from their local neighborhoods to more touristy areas.

It makes sense to issue the warning. Although non-residents do not seem to be targeted, being caught in a cross-fire between two armed groups during the day could be what they are concerned about.

Be aware of your surroundings…everywhere you go.

We walked from the port to Rip Ty'd Brewery just this past Sunday, which is about a 15-20 minute walk east of the port.  Other than walking past a bunch of empty, decaying storefronts, never for a second felt unsafe.  Was the first time we've set foot off the boat in Nassau for four cruises.

Going the other way, into the lions den of locals trying to make you buy something if they touched you with it always felt much worse.

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

It looks like the majority of the incidents involve gangs targeting each other.

Which is pretty much the case anywhere. Even in the US...you're very rarely going to have an issue as a common person walking through the streets of Chicago or St. Louis or Baltimore. Can it happen? Sure...but the crime statistics don't tell the truth for most tourists or even most residents. 

The same kind of thing happened in Cancun for a while (gang violence spilling over into tourist areas) but that got cleaned up quick.

Local authorities don't tend to have a lot of power with the gangs/cartels, but they do tend to protect tourist areas since that's so valuable to the region/country.

And to make matters worse, the State Department just today raised the threat level for Jamaica from a 2 to a 3 level because of 65 murders in the last 4 weeks. I am not giving this information about Nassau (18 murders first 3 weeks) and Jamaica to scare anyone. I just want them to be aware of it and take the proper precautions when traveling to these countries. I am sure that if you book a tour through the ship, you will be fine.