suggestions for alternative cruise lines?

I don't know if this topic is appropriate for this site, but I'll give it a try.  We've been very loyal to Royal since the pandemic shutdown ended.  In fact, we have a few RC cruises scheduled for 2024 and we'll be getting close to Diamond+ soon.  We're starting to yearn for different itineraries sailing from our nearest port though, so therefore we're thinking about other cruise lines to add to our repertoire.

Wondering if any of you have suggestions for other lines that would be somewhat similar to Royal?  We're two retired adults who don't need all the kid-friendly stuff, although it's something we accept.  In addition to an interesting itinerary and excursions, we like the shows and lounges/bars.  Pools and spas aren't important.  Of course food is, but we aren't hard to please in that regard.

Carnival and Disney aren't lines we'd want to try.  We did do a Celebrity cruise years ago and it seemed fine.  We're currently wondering if Norwegian is something to consider.  Basically, we're looking for a similar experience and cost that we get with RC -- just another option.  Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

I suggest focusing on itinerary, not a cruise line.

Try other cruise lines. 

You are not me, I am not you.  I have sailed other lines.  My likes and dislikes are unique to me.  My opinions are biased by my likes and dislikes. 

Had I never tried another cruise line I wouldn't have found Royal.  

Carnival, Norwegian, Royal and MSC are all similar lines competing in the mass cruise market.  Try them all and then think about what works best for you.

As noted by @twangster, if you're looking for different itineraries that should be the focus. We each have different likes and dislikes, so aside from particularly poor experiences that might be shared it is impossible to say which cruise lines (if any) will be better or worse for any given cruiser. I can name things that are advantages and disadvantages FOR ME about each line I've cruised (including Royal which is our favorite line to date).

We have sailed NCL maybe a handful of times and the major difference is the ships. I haven’t found a cruise line yet that can compete with RC ships on any level. The food, Haven, itinerary and overall experience is probably not going to be much of a drastic change for you. IMHO you will find what you are looking for with Regent and possibly Tauck tours but these options are at a drastically different price point. My parents have been on the Arctic sailings with Tauck and still rave about it to this day and they can’t get enough of the higher end experience on Regent.  

Thanks, each of you, for the replies.  We sometimes are fine with an enjoyable ship focus, and other times an itinerary is more important.  tonyfsu21, your input about NCL is helpful.  While we do tend to consider RC a top line for the masses, I agree that we should try others in order to come to our own conclusions.

• 1 month later...

I went on Regal Princess over New Year's. Skews older, not that many bells and whistles in terms of activities. Really nice ship if one of your main goals is to relax and not do too much. Not a good ship if you like waterslides, rock walls etc. You definitely have to make your own fun. But if you're ok with that, it is quite enjoyable.

for different itineraries sailing from our nearest port 

RCL has so many different itineraries if you’re willing to fly. We cruise several times each year from our home ports in Florida. Still, we also enjoy transatlantic, Mediterranean, and New England cruises that require a plane ride. Looking to do a Panama Canal cruise even though we’ll have to fly to or from California. 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:30 AM, KWong said:

I went on Regal Princess over New Year's. Skews older, not that many bells and whistles in terms of activities. Really nice ship if one of your main goals is to relax and not do too much.

This sounds good, KWong.  We'll certainly keep it in mind for future possibility.  Thanks!

On 2/26/2024 at 3:39 PM, Biaggio said:

RCL has so many different itineraries if you’re willing to fly. We cruise several times each year from our home ports in Florida. Still, we also enjoy transatlantic, Mediterranean, and New England cruises that require a plane ride. Looking to do a Panama Canal cruise even though we’ll have to fly to or from California. 

You guys in Florida have such an advantage (for cruising, anyway).  Flights are becoming quite unpleasant lately, but yes that is what we need to do for some variety in ports.  A couple of NE/Canada cruises are coming up and we're also wanting to someday do the Panama Canal.