Which "adventure tour" for Roatan? Victor Bodden Tour or Daniel Johnson's Sloth Hangout?

ZBoyles

Hi we are going on a RC cruise to Roatan/ Costa Maya/ Cozumel and want to do a tour with ziplining and sloth and money interactions. After research, I have seen positive reviews about Bodden Tours and Daniel Johnson's hangout.

If we did Bodden tours we would probably do the Roundtrip from Ship-to-ATV/Zip/Monkeys/Sloths. https://www.boddentours.com/roundtrip-ship-to-zip 

If we did Daniel Johnson's hangout we would do the ATV, ZIPLINE, & HORSEBACK RIDING MONKEY ADVENTURE. https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/site/tour/zipline-horseback-riding-monkey-adventure/

Has anyone done either of these tours and can provide some insight? Would love to hear positives and negatives.

My fiancé is really looking forward to holding a sloth so want to make sure it is the best experience.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:45 AM, ZBoyles said:

Hi we are going on a RC cruise to Roatan/ Costa Maya/ Cozumel and want to do a tour with ziplining and sloth and money interactions. After research, I have seen positive reviews about Bodden Tours and Daniel Johnson's hangout.

If we did Bodden tours we would probably do the Roundtrip from Ship-to-ATV/Zip/Monkeys/Sloths. https://www.boddentours.com/roundtrip-ship-to-zip 

If we did Daniel Johnson's hangout we would do the ATV, ZIPLINE, & HORSEBACK RIDING MONKEY ADVENTURE. https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/site/tour/zipline-horseback-riding-monkey-adventure/

Has anyone done either of these tours and can provide some insight? Would love to hear positives and negatives.

My fiancé is really looking forward to holding a sloth so want to make sure it is the best experience.

In mid June 2023, we (group of 6; mom & dad & 4 in early 20's) did a customized private all-day tour with Victor Bodden Tours (did sort of an ala-carte selection of activites).  All of the events were excellent with the exception of the ATV rides.  The zip line course was a blast (went on at least 10 lines; lost count of them!), and the monkeys and sloths were a huge hit with my group and lots of fun to hold and get our sloth hugs.  We also did some snorkeling off shore from a boat over the coral reefs on the West side.  These were all EXCELLENT activities with Victor Bodden. 

The ATV was NOT an enjoyable portion of the tour.  The equipment was in very poor shape, and we see why after the activity.  The hills they have you ride on are quite steep, and they make everyone go down the hills together with each 4-wheeler rammed into the one in front of you.  The leader (guide) is first, and they want you to literally run into the back of the leader until the 4-wheeler rests against his, the next person running into the back of the one in front of you, etc., all the way down the line.  There was a raft of about 15 4-wheelers flowing down the hill while the leader rode his brakes slowly all the way trying to get everyone down the hill.  There were LOTS of hills, and we rafted down together a good 10 times.  No wonder the frames and racks of these 4-wheelers were all broken and banged up.  My son went through four 4-wheelers by the time we completed the activity.  One had zero brakes, another had the drive chain break, another wouldn't go into gear about 1/4 way through the course.  Needless to say, this portion of the tour was NOT enjoyable or fun...and the ATV guide still "highly suggested" they receive tips!

Everything else about Victor Bodden tour was excellent and I would do it again in a heartbeat...just not the ATV portion!

6 hours ago, MarvinS said:

In mid June 2023, we (group of 6; mom & dad & 4 in early 20's) did a customized private all-day tour with Victor Bodden Tours (did sort of an ala-carte selection of activites).  All of the events were excellent with the exception of the ATV rides.  The zip line course was a blast (went on at least 10 lines; lost count of them!), and the monkeys and sloths were a huge hit with my group and lots of fun to hold and get our sloth hugs.  We also did some snorkeling off shore from a boat over the coral reefs on the West side.  These were all EXCELLENT activities with Victor Bodden. 

The ATV was NOT an enjoyable portion of the tour.  The equipment was in very poor shape, and we see why after the activity.  The hills they have you ride on are quite steep, and they make everyone go down the hills together with each 4-wheeler rammed into the one in front of you.  The leader (guide) is first, and they want you to literally run into the back of the leader until the 4-wheeler rests against his, the next person running into the back of the one in front of you, etc., all the way down the line.  There was a raft of about 15 4-wheelers flowing down the hill while the leader rode his brakes slowly all the way trying to get everyone down the hill.  There were LOTS of hills, and we rafted down together a good 10 times.  No wonder the frames and racks of these 4-wheelers were all broken and banged up.  My son went through four 4-wheelers by the time we completed the activity.  One had zero brakes, another had the drive chain break, another wouldn't go into gear about 1/4 way through the course.  Needless to say, this portion of the tour was NOT enjoyable or fun...and the ATV guide still "highly suggested" they receive tips!

Everything else about Victor Bodden tour was excellent and I would do it again in a heartbeat...just not the ATV portion!

We have also used Victor Bodden and have had great experiences. We have not don't the ATV's, but we are signed up to do them next month. Maybe we will skip them!

I'll throw another option your way - we have enjoyed Roatan Getaway Tours 2 years in a row. We did a full day private tour with them last year and for $120 each (4 of us), we did zipline, 3 reef snorkel, AJs animal sanctuary (monkeys, birds, guinea pigs, sloths), and a stop at one of the chocolate factories. You can fill out their form online and they get back to you quickly with a quote for your ideal itinerary. Here are the options:

2023-07-11.png.a39e01662e2befdaab0c4cdfd606c978.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

Thanks!  Just looked up our booking with Bodden....we are doing monkeys/sloth, snorkel, beach, and hydro bikes....not quite sure what that is but sounds fun.  Thankfully no beat up ATVs.

Found this picture....looks like something that would make my kids whine and complain

353019665_237942902322233_1411546148481897929_n.thumb.jpg.3e585544e086436ca3a237260278e87b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those that used Bodden - they are encouraging us to bring cash payment the day of the tour.  For our size family and activities that is approximately $800 - which makes me a little nervous.  Were you also encouraged to pay with cash?

7 hours ago, FLK said:

For those that used Bodden - they are encouraging us to bring cash payment the day of the tour.  For our size family and activities that is approximately $800 - which makes me a little nervous.  Were you also encouraged to pay with cash?

Yes, they highly encourage you to use cash.  The country of Honduras (according to their excursion confirmation paperwork) states that the country tacks on a HUGE percentage as a credit card service fee.  I had a party of 6 in our group, and took about $800-$900 with me to pay for things.  They were indeed very picky even about the nice clean crisp new-looking $100 bills I brought.  Here is a clip from their confirmation:

======================================

There is no prepayment or deposit required for your tour. 

Our preferred payment method is US CASH once you get to the island. 
However, additional payment options are available: 
  • We accept MasterCard, Visa and American Express at our tour office -- however, there is a Credit Card Fee:

• The Honduran government requires credit card machines to automatically add 19% Honduran Tax onto every credit card transaction

• This fee is broken down on the receipt as 15% Honduran Tax + 4% Honduran Tourism Tax
    • The only way to avoid these credit card taxes is to Pay in US CASH

• Honduran banks do not accept US Currency that is worn, taped or torn...so, try to save your BEST dollars for your Roatan visit!

======================================