Coastal Kitchen - Junior Suites

I have seen that Jr Suite guests are welcome to dine on CK "when available" or some verbiage similar to that. Is it really common for CK to not be available for Sea Class guests? Or more of RC sort of covering themselves in case there are many guests dining at the same time or something like that?

1 minute ago, JFCruise said:

I have seen that Jr Suite guests are welcome to dine on CK "when available" or some verbiage similar to that. Is it really common for CK to not be available for Sea Class guests? Or more of RC sort of covering themselves in case there are many guests dining at the same time or something like that?

My impression is that it varies by cruise/ship. I have seen some report being able to have dinner in CK every night and others having far less success.

I believe it depends on a bunch of factors. How many pax in full suites, the number of pins onboard, etc.  So that is why that verbiage is there. Sea class guest don't get all the rest of the perks as sky or higher. So, they don't want to guarantee something they may not be able to deliver on. 

Definitely depends on sailing. We did our first jr suite last year and booked CK for dinner on boarding night. It was crowded and we weren't able to get a seat until I think 8 or so.

BUT on the flip side, on the second to last day we got a call inviting us to have lunch, comped, for no other reason than the CK host wanted to. I can only assume they had lower-than-normal numbers eating there and therefore opened it up to JR suite guests.

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

It was crowded and we weren't able to get a seat until I think 8 or so.

I wouldn't mind the later seating time, to be honest, 8 works wonders for me. I was just kinda worried for a bit that on the first day they would be like: "yeah nope, you aren't allowed on CK on this sailing". Even if I can't get there every night, that's ok.

So, you have to do reservations each day? Can't do like a blanket reservation for the whole sailing? What happens if I make a reservation and later in the day the higher suites fill up CK, would I get bumped off?

22 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

So, you have to do reservations each day? Can't do like a blanket reservation for the whole sailing?

This is another "it varies" situation. Ask for whatever you would like and see what they say.

22 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

What happens if I make a reservation and later in the day the higher suites fill up CK, would I get bumped off?

I can't imagine so. That would be some pretty terrible management and customer service by the CK manager.

Additionally, Sky/Star class cruisers are able to make reservations with the concierge/genie pre-cruise so many spots will already be filled in by the time you board, giving the CK manager an idea of how full it is. That's not to say no one in a full suite makes CK reservations onboard, just sharing some additional info.

on our last oasis cruise, we were in a junior suite and this is the first time that the host allowed us to make a standing reservation (it was early, at 5:15, i think) for the week. 

on previous ships, we had to go every day to see if they could accommodate us later that evening. 

now, we are a party of two. and we typically eat pretty quickly, so we took the earlier slot for a few nights. then we went to the MDR for my time dining and realized how chaotic it seemed compared to CK. so we went back to CK as planned, the following evening, and pleaded for him to see if he could get us in for the rest of the week. 

he could, and they did, and we were a lot happier with that 5:15 dining slot than i would have imagined. 💚

18 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we were a lot happier with that 5:15 dining slot than i would have imagined

I'm sure I mentioned this before... nothing wrong with eating early, it gives you time to eat more later. 😁

Now eating at 5:15 and then going to bed is a different story... that's premature vintage-ing. 🙈

On 1/13/2024 at 9:40 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Now eating at 5:15 and then going to bed is a different story... that's premature vintage-ing

Ironically this is our schedule because of the kids...reverse vintage? some day I will be able to stay up past 10 again, but not when I have someone crawling on my head at 6am.

On the question of whether they will boot JS reservation holders for sky class or above I expect the answer is pretty firmly no.  We were in the category of sky class guests who did not book ahead of time and we were told that we needed to get our reservations in ASAP or they would not have room for us.