B2B2B First Timers Questions

We are covering a lot of firsts this coming spring.  First Transatlantic, First B2B and just to make it fun, we are doing B2B2B.  At this point, it looks like we will have three different rooms, but that is just logistics.  What has me in a quandary at the moment is packing and laundry.  Altogether - we will have 22 days on board ship and 3 nights at hotels.  Any suggestions for clothing /  packing / laundry services?  I really don't want to lug 15 suitcases and I know there are experts on here that do this all the time.  THANK YOU!

We usually travel very light and rely on a combination of options so let me "talk" this out. First, I don't use them myself but people swear by packing cubes. I do use vacuum bags, both leaving and coming home (ask your room attendant to vacuum the bag the night before you leave). Also, if you're going to Europe know the Mediterranean is quite warm even in April and May - you're not likely to need more than a light jacket (though I recommend a travel umbrella to protect against the sun!) and a light fleece or sweater for layers, which I usually wear on travel days.  

You are flying into your departure port the night (or more?) before you leave - depending on how many nights, where you stay, and how many people are in your party it might be worth doing a small load of laundry the night before you get on ship. There may be either a laundry room or a coin-op close by your hotel.

Once on ship, you can rinse out small items (think socks and undies) in the sink and there is a drying line in the shower (I have even washed jeans in the shower and then line-dried them, though that was an emergency basis and not what I would ordinarily plan).  We bring a couple Tide Pods in a sandwich baggie, but the shower gel/shampoo works well enough. 

There is also usually a wash-and-fold special on board some time in the middle of the cruise that might be worthwhile. I don't recall how much a bag costs, but if you pre-fold your dirty items it's amazing how much you can cram into the wash-and-fold bag. 

Finally, we don't really pay a great deal of attention to "formal" night - neat and tidy is enough for me - so that helps with limiting the packing of outfits. 

Have a great time!

The ships have a laundry service onboard that is usually $35 per bag. We have used them on undergarments and more compact clothing. They are not large bags but we have found they suffice in our case. We do not use them for delicate, non-color fast clothing but that is us.

We gave up the evening gowns and suits a long time ago.  I generally do slacks and a nice top with jewelry for "formal night".  Initially, we were going to do the TA and then be in the UK for 2 days before leaving for Norway for 7 days at a hotel that would have had laundry facilities.  We decided to stay on the ship for a little 2 nights to France and that's when I started panicking.  The tips I have been getting have me thinking of various solutions.  I am not sure why I did not realize that we BOTH get to do a bag of laundry if needed with our D status. 

In case another greenie stumbles onto this board - here is my plan after gathering tips:

• I ordered laundry sheets today - had never heard of them before
  • I finally ordered the magnetic hooks that everyone talks about - for hanging items as needed
  • Found reversible dresses - who knew? These are just casual, but with a sweater can dress up for evening if necessary
  • I DO use packing cubes, so will order some for hubby as well
  • Plan on taking advantage of the laundry days
  • Packing only things that can wash in regular wash

Thanks Everyone!   I'm excited!

@TessOR Don’t forget the bag of wash and fold laundry is for each leg of the b2b2b…that’s a lot of laundry. But, I’m pretty sure that’s for cruises of five nights or more.

Also, if you want…you can cram lots of stuff in your suitcase or packing cubes without worrying about wrinkles if you want to spend the $17 on the first day for the Express Press service. Again, pretty sure that’s for cruises of five nights or more. They’ll press your things overnight. Just remember you’re limited to ten items in the bag. I usually send out my nice shirts. Beats trying to carefully fold and pack after ironing them at home. They do a good job and come back nicely pressed on hangers. Also, some cruisers have commented about having very good results with Downey Wrinkle Release spray.

I also have some nice wrinkle free clothes that I use for cruising. Nice shorts and polo shirts that I just shake out and they’re fine. Even if I need to rinse them out, they dry quickly.

Don't forget the most important thing to pack; patience and a good attitude. You’ll be on a cruise! Enjoy!😎

On 1/1/2024 at 12:35 AM, CrznTxn said:

The ships have a laundry service onboard that is usually $35 per bag.

This is the way to go.  I've used the laundry service on multiple B2B cruises.  You'll be surprised how much you can stuff into one of the paper bags provided by your room attendant.  It comes back clean and folded.

• 2 weeks later...

We've used the laundry bag program on almost every cruise we have been on.  It has it's limits, but somehow, in my head, I never considered that hubby can have his OWN bag.  I also pack clothes that do not need ironing.  I traveled in my career a lot and long ago found fabrics that do well packed!  Thanks everyone for the great ideas. 105 days to go - buy who's counting?

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

YES !  The complimentary bag of laundry is a per-person amenity so if you are both D+ or higher, you both get a free bag of laundry on cruises that are 5 nights or longer.

We use this for the first time this past December. A great perk.

Nice clothes ... wear sparingly and rehang ... wear 2 or three times.

Small clothes .... the laundry bag in your room ... pack it as full as you can get it with undies, Ts, shorts, socks ... free for D+ ... usually a 'special' at least once a week .... a full bag for a fixed amount ... maybe 20-25 bucks.