Royal IQ

rjac

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Thanks Doc. Hopefully before April 2018!

Fingers crossed. I really think Royal needs to speed up deployment or they're going to be left behind. MSC has just launched an app and bands, Princess has an app, and soon Princess will be rolling out RFID medallions. I don't want Royal to be trailing the pack when they're normally the leader in the market. 

29 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

This is IT related though Doc .... Royal still runs their systems on TRS-80 grade hardware ....

OK, what does TRS-80 grade hardware mean, and is this on all their ships,or just the older ones? Thanks!:27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

OK, what does TRS-80 grade hardware mean, and is this on all their ships,or just the older ones? Thanks!:27_sunglasses:

The TRS-80 was a computer from back in the late 1970's, that was not at all affectionately nicknamed the "Trash 80". I had one of those (a Model 1!! With included tape drive!!) in my elementary school for my 4th and 5th grade "introduction to computers and BASIC programming" class.

They really were pieces of crap, especially when compared with the Apple IIe computers that came out not long after; we had one of those Apple models in the middle school computer lab as the "special" machine, next to about 16 Model 3 Trash 80s, and you had to fight to get time on it since it could do so much more.

29 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The TRS-80 was a computer from back in the late 1970's, that was not at all affectionately nicknamed the "Trash 80". I had one of those (a Model 1!! With included tape drive!!) in my elementary school for my 4th and 5th grade "introduction to computers and BASIC programming" class.

They really were pieces of crap, especially when compared with the Apple IIe computers that came out not long after; we had one of those Apple models in the middle school computer lab as the "special" machine, next to about 16 Model 3 Trash 80s, and you had to fight to get time on it since it could do so much more.

Thanks JL,

Holy sh*t! If what JT posted above "This is IT related though Doc .... Royal still runs their systems on TRS-80 grade hardware ..." I'm surprised Royal can get their ships out of port, on time without some catastrophic happenings. Is it possible he was joking......I hope...please?:31_neutral_face:

2 minutes ago, rjac said:

Thanks JL,

Holy sh*t! If what JT posted above "This is IT related though Doc .... Royal still runs their systems on TRS-80 grade hardware ..." I'm surprised Royal can get their ships out of port, on time without some catastrophic happenings. Is it possible he was joking......I hope...please?:31_neutral_face:

Don't worry! Any Capt. worth his stripes should be able to navigate with a sextant and a compass! Happy Cruising!

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Thanks JL,

Yes joking ;) Although though sometimes it would be hard to tell from the results with RCI's website.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, JLMoran said:

Them there is fighting words Mister!! I loved my Trash-80, and I was the big kid on the block as mine had a full 48K of memory!!  I remember listening to the program tape so you could hear the silent gap and know you were at the next program.