Kids sail free promotion on RCCL Symphony of the sea

I have been back and forth with my Vacations to go agent on this topic.

I am frustrated and bewildered with RCCL’s response. Either this is false advertising or I am getting the round around.

we secured a reservation back in November of 2023 for a group of 10 ( which include two 8yr old children staying in an inside cabin with their parents ) on May24-31  2024 sailing on the Symphony of the Sea to the Bahamas leaving from Bayonne NJ.

We are crown and anchor diamond members and past guests of RCCL in 15 prior sailings.

We are celebrating a 50yr wedding anniversary and wanted to celebrate our vow renewal at sea surrounded by our family.

Thus, why we are gifting our children and grandkids to sail with us.

My agent continues to affirm after contacting RCCL that we do not qualify and are excluded from the  “kids sail free” promotion offered by RCCL.

Attached below is a copy of the RCCL promotion.

DE6AB789-2D64-4DDE-A665-4A6F54268851.png

I mean, it's right there on the terms

Summer Sailings departing May 22, 2024 – August 30, 2024; May 22, 2025 – August 29, 2025

Your cruise departs right in the 2024 Summer window that is very clearly blacked out in the terms and conditions.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/promotions

It's not false advertisement. I have booked 4 cruises in the past 2 years or so, and have always had KSF. Not only that, but my under-6 kid has eaten for free at Specialty Dining restaurants.

You are aware that you claim to have made this booking in November, but the terms and conditions YOU posted says it it applies to bookings made between 12/5 - 1/2…right? My calendar says December is after November and therefore your booking would not be eligible for what you posted. also as has already been pointed out, your sail dates are also specifically identified as not being eligible. Do You want them to apply a promo to you that you are not clearly not eligible for because you are a Diamond?? At this point ponder this: is Royal, your TA, and everyone who posted so far wrong OR are you wrong? 🤔 

So other than booking outside of the booking promotion window and sailing during one of the clearly stated blackout periods you feel you are qualified and should get the KSF discount is that right?

I think you should actually want their advertisement to be false, in particular where they define the booking window and blackout periods.  Then you'd be all set!

Ok, sarcasm aside if you just booked a month ago prices may still be similar and you may want to look at moving your sailing to a week earlier where you would then qualify.  If you booked non-refundable deposit you will be on the hook for a change fee, but overall you may make out.  I'm not sure of the quality of Vacations to Go, but now is when you could really use the help of a seasoned and skilled Travel Agent.

Congrats on your 50th.  The cruise is going to be so much fun for all of you.

Honestly, the KSF isn't always that great of a deal. In my experience they just adjust the fares of the 'paying' passengers to make up the shortfall, as well as you need to book a room that accommodates all said parties, which in general costs more anyway. So while there is some benefit, it's probably not as great as you think it might be. The cost for the 2 paying passengers sailing in a  4-sleeper cabin would not be measured against what it would cost those same 2 paying passengers in a 2-sleeper cabin, but rather those 2 passengers in a 4 sleeper - which the fares would be adjusted. If that makes sense. You have to the pay the rate for the larger cabin, which will be more than a cabin for 2, so it can seem a little deceptive when you 'ghost' book to price check what 2 passengers would look like because those bookings would be priced for a cabin that only sleeps 2, which are less in demand that ones that sleep 4. 

@Momof4crazytocruise - In my experience, yes: 2-people only cabins are cheaper than 2-adults-1-kid cabins. Kids still pay port fees and taxes, and the fare for the 2 paying adults is higher. However, 2A1K is still cheaper than a 3-adult (or 3-paying passenger) by a healthy margin. When moving up into balcony and even suites, the difference gets larger.

If your are deciding whether to leave the kids at home or bring them to the cruise, then yes - leaving them at home is the cheaper option. But if you are asking if KSF actually saves you money vs no KSF, that's a different thing.

I haven't checked with 2 kids, though. I know that sometimes it is cheaper to get two 2-passenger cabins with no KSF than a 4-passenger cabin with the promo.