Best hotel options at Tampa before a cruise

I like the Embassy Suites.  We were a party of 6 and could book just one room.  We  stayed at the airport Embassy our last cruise because the one next to the cruise port was full.  We ended up saving about $100, and took 2 Ubers 2 the port in the morning.The uber from the airport Embassy Suites was $12 each.  That Embassy offers a free shuttle from the airport.  If you stay at the Embassy at the cruise port, you can walk to the port.  It is just a couple of blocks away.  There is a free Tampa trolly service, too.  I've never used that.  The walk from that Embassy is quite enjoyable.  I love that Tampa is a port you can actually walk to.

I agree with @need2cruz that the Downtown Emabassy Suites is a really great option.  Just to expand a bit, if you are looking for budget properties, then the Westshore Business District will offer the most options.  Many of the hotels in that area offer free airport shuttles.  Two examples include: Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa Airport Avion Park Westshore and TownePlace Suites by Marriott Tampa Westshore/Airport.  If you your flight arrives late, then Tampa Airport has a Marriott (Tampa Airport Marriott) that is right in the terminal, and while not cheap, it is very convenient for a late arrival.  If your flight arrives earlier the day before your cruise, then I highly recommend staying in downtown Tampa.  The Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa Downtown Convention Center, JW Marriott Tampa Water Street, and the Tampa Marriott Water Street are all great choices.  From these hotels you can walk to the ship or use the free streetcar to get to the cruise terminal: http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/home.html. If time allows, staying downtown gives you easy access to the riverwalk https://thetampariverwalk.com or you could take a waterfront tour on the water taxi https://piratewatertaxi.com.  If nightlife is your thing, then you could stay in Ybor City.  Two nice choices that offer easy access to the streetcar are Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown and Hotel Haya.  These hotels also offer easy access to all of the restaurants/bars/clubs of Ybor City https://www.ybor.org

As for transportation from the airport, if you stay in downtown or Ybor, just take an Uber/Lyft/taxi from the airport to your downtown/Ybor hotel.  After your cruise, Uber/Lyft/taxi is your best way to get to the airport.  Tampa is a great cruise port, and I am sure that you will have fun no matter where you choose to stay.

Hotels near the port can be pricey, but I think the best value by far is the Embassy Suites. It is right on the trolly line, so if you don't mind schlepping luggage up a couple steps, it's a fantastic way to get to any of the cruise terminals. I arrived during a Lightening game at the nearby arena before, and sometimes they make some streets one-way when that happens It can be confusing for the cab or uber/lyft driver getting to the door, but it's only a minor issue. Lots of great restaurants nearby. Highly recommend. I echo @need2cruz.

4 hours ago, instaGator said:

If you your flight arrives late, then Tampa Airport has a Marriott (Tampa Airport Marriott) that is right in the terminal, and while not cheap, it is very convenient for a late arrival. 

I've done this before as well...and there is nothing like walking into your hotel room within 20 minutes of getting off your flight. It is a little pricey, but it's fantastic if you fly in late.

For a January cruise we booked the Quality inn airport-cruise port. Mainly because they offer both airport and cruise port shuttles and I had some Choice points to burn. It may be a flea and bedbug ridden hovel but I hope not. We arrive late the night prior and will board early so it seems to fit our needs well

I opt for budget-friendly when in Tampa, and like to book hotels in Westshore, which almost always have airport shuttles. The cruise port is a super-easy drive from there, so we just took a Lyft. Tampa's airport and cruise port aren't terribly far apart, so the uber/lyft options are usually budget friendly.