Help me decide! Norwegian Fjords

Jill

Anyone have any thoughts on these 3? Already have Indy on hold. Celebrity just released theirs. Amsterdam is very tempting but I’m interested in Geiranger Apex) and apparently Alesund (Indy) is very close to Geiranger. 

Any thoughts on flying into UK versus Amsterdam (from east coast). Have flown into LHR before and don’t mind terminating there but don’t want to connect out of there. 

Indy and Eclipse are basically the same price. Apex about $600 more. 

4 couples, early to late 50’s, like to have fun, enjoy night time entertainment. 

Thanks for any suggestions! 

IMG_2633.png

IMG_2632.png

IMG_2631.png

I would do the Apex... Geiranger and Flam are 2 of the most beautiful ports in Norway.. In 2026 the offerings that include these 2 most probably will be

restricted to zero or low emission ships. This is why I was Extremely disappointed in Royal's 2025 offerings.  We were on Jewel this past May and our 3 favorite ports were: Flam, Geiranger and Olden. 

Hi! Norwegian guy here, first of all I have not visited Molde, but the others I have visited up to many times. I live in Kristiansand south Norway, but Have family in Bergen and near Geiranger, also my grandmother was from near Stavanger.  Personally of these I would choose the apex one. I think that will give the best of Norwegian Nature. 

Since we are discussing Norway I will give some other advice as well that people here have asked me about 

1. Visiting Stavanger I would choose to go to Lysefjorden (and/or Preikestolen/ The Pulpit 10/10 times instead of Stavanger city centre, in my opinion even if old town is ok, almost all the other city centres in south western Norway is much nicer (Like Bergen, Stavanger, Førde, Kristiansand, Mandal, Arendal/Arendelle (yes the city from Frozen is 45 minutes away from me) 

2. I would always reccomend western or northern Norway as opposed to eastern Norway. So if anyone is flying to Norway I would recommend Bergen instead of Oslo every time. Yes Oslo is the capitol with all that entails but if you want to see Norwegian nature and scenery avoid Oslo, go to either region Vestlandet (Bergen and the big fjords like Sognefjorden) or Lofoten (Northern Norway, with amazing isles), or even southern Norway (my city Kristiansand is amazing in July). 

As I said before on here feel free to ask me about specific things in Norway (even if I do not know the exact place I am sure that the info I can find in Norwegian is more accurate and comprehensive, I love to help!) 

-Chris- 

Also if you decide to do Amsterdam at another point we do have flights directly from Kristiansand to Amsterdam several times daily, from here you can drive up and see Lysefjorden and Pulpit rock (3 hour drive, buses and trains also traffic the route), so if you do choose the Apex one you can get Amsterdam,Kristiansand and Stavanger all in one go on a later trip 😊

We’ve decided on Apex. Just waiting to hear back from the TA. I was doing some mock bookings on Apex and they’re obviously holding cabins back because it would only show one cabin available in each category. Hope it’s not already gone! We do have Indy on hold but I’m not thrilled with it. 

12 minutes ago, Jill said:

We’ve decided on Apex. Just waiting to hear back from the TA. I was doing some mock bookings on Apex and they’re obviously holding cabins back because it would only show one cabin available in each category. Hope it’s not already gone! We do have Indy on hold but I’m not thrilled with it. 

I am sure it will be awesome, opposed to Stavanger, Bergen city centre (especially the area around "Bryggen") is amazing so I woyld definitely spend as much time as possible there! 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, Plasticbrain said:

Hi! Norwegian guy here, first of all I have not visited Molde, but the others I have visited up to many times. I live in Kristiansand south Norway, but Have family in Bergen and near Geiranger, also my grandmother was from near Stavanger.  Personally of these I would choose the apex one. I think that will give the best of Norwegian Nature. 

Since we are discussing Norway I will give some other advice as well that people here have asked me about 

-Chris- 

@Plasticbrain.....What kind of weather should we expect in the middle of May for these ports?

28 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

@Plasticbrain.....What kind of weather should we expect in the middle of May for these ports?

May weather can vary a lot. We can have like 6 degrees and rain, or 16 degrees and sun... 

Western Norway has more rain and wind than we do here south, so I would prepare for rain, but hope for sun. 

May 17th is our constitution day, which is a BIG thing in Norway (parades,national costumes,fireworks), so if you are in Norway that day you are in for a treat! 

Added a picture of historical weather in May in Bergen, so you can get an idea! 

Screenshot_20231120_233754_Chrome.jpg