AA Flight Attendant Strike (impacting your cruise plans)?

Hello all, new to the forum.

My family is booked for the Oasis of the Seas for a Christmas cruise out of Miami next month. We also booked our flight plans through RC, from California to Miami (direct).

My concern is this: I understand the union of flight attendants for American Airlines has agreed to strike, but the question is when. Some speculate the most leverage they will have will be right before the holidays. This makes me very nervous, as our flight (through RC) is with AA, and the possibility of missing our expensive cruise (which I paid for in full) because of a flight attendant strike is making me crazy.

I called RC and they said their Emergency Travel Team will attempt alternate flight arrangements for us if this happens, if there is anything available with other airlines but not to call them until a day or two before our cruise. Worst case they will fly us to Jamaica so we can join the cruise ship from there, missing the first 2 days of our cruise (not to mention the 1 night in Miami I already reserved and paid for the day before the cruise). This is unacceptable. And I cannot afford to make another set of roundtrip plane tix for my entire family as a plan B. 

And yes, I'm an idiot because I did not opt for insurance, and even though my cruise is about 40 days away I can't add it at this point either. My heart is sunk. 

13 minutes ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

Hello all, new to the forum.

My family is booked for the Oasis of the Seas for a Christmas cruise out of Miami next month. We also booked our flight plans through RC, from California to Miami (direct).

My concern is this: I understand the union of flight attendants for American Airlines has agreed to strike, but the question is when. Some speculate the most leverage they will have will be right before the holidays. This makes me very nervous, as our flight (through RC) is with AA, and the possibility of missing our expensive cruise (which I paid for in full) because of a flight attendant strike is making me crazy.

I called RC and they said their Emergency Travel Team will attempt alternate flight arrangements for us if this happens, if there is anything available with other airlines but not to call them until a day or two before our cruise. Worst case they will fly us to Jamaica so we can join the cruise ship from there, missing the first 2 days of our cruise (not to mention the 1 night in Miami I already reserved and paid for the day before the cruise). This is unacceptable. And I cannot afford to make another set of roundtrip plane tix for my entire family as a plan B. 

And yes, I'm an idiot because I did not opt for insurance, and even though my cruise is about 40 days away I can't add it at this point either. My heart is sunk. 

As you mention, there's no set date on this, so there's not much anyone can do in the mean time. I understand that can be frustrating, but RC isn't going to switch your flights for something that is purely hypothetical. I know it doesn't sound good, but you really just need to wait at this point. Research alternative flights so that, if it does happen, you can immediately call and ask to be put on specific flights. Definitely don't wait until "a day or two before" unless that's when it happens...be prepared, and call the moment it happens (if it happens). 

10 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

As you mention, there's no set date on this, so there's not much anyone can do in the mean time. I understand that can be frustrating, but RC isn't going to switch your flights for something that is purely hypothetical. I know it doesn't sound good, but you really just need to wait at this point. Research alternative flights so that, if it does happen, you can immediately call and ask to be put on specific flights. Definitely don't wait until "a day or two before" unless that's when it happens...be prepared, and call the moment it happens (if it happens). 

Thanks Zacharius. I visited the union page and a strike has almost unanimous support from its dues members, so it seems it will happen, it's just a question of when they decide to do it. I like your idea of researching alternative flight options now so I can call ETT and pull that lever in a timely fashion. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen.

50 minutes ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

I visited the union page and a strike has almost unanimous support from its dues members, so it seems it will happen, it's just a question of when they decide to do it.

There is still a chance it could be negotiated out of. But yeah, the unknowns are difficult. I have a couple of flights scheduled for work around that time (I practically live on AA/OneWorld flights) and I'm just in that "we'll see what happens" mindsight. But, I have been since the vote happened. I do have non-AA backups for all of my itineraries just in case (but I also have the opportunity to book on other airlines and just pass that on to my clients if it's an extra expense, so...that helps). 

Airline labor is governed under the Railway Labor Act, which requires an extensive process, which when it breaks down will require a cooling off period of 30 days before the unions are released to allow self-help (ie strike). There are a lot of other processes that can intervene, but a strike is a long way off. With that being said, there could be illegal wildcat strikes, or work-to-rule that could affect overall operations, but it would not completely stop AA travel.

This might be dated, but I heard the walkout could happen on Nov 17th, IF AA didn't not provide a counter offer to the FA position.   The "lack" of a counter would trigger a next step by the union.   I think a counter offer was presented, but I don't know where negotiations sit.  I do know it's not settled yet.   I too have flights during this tenuous period.

The airline I work for is over 83% union and airline unions are always threatening to strike when they are in negotiations.  I've been in this business for over 27 years now I've gone through many contract negotiations and have seen many strike threats, strike votes, threats to walk out.  However here in the US airline employees can't simply go on strike the Railroad Labor Act comes into play when the union authorized a strike and there are a plethora of steps that must be taken by law before any airline union employees can go on strike. 

Even though it is the Railroad Labor Act it does apply to airlines and Congress can step in and impose a contract preventing a strike just like they did late last year to the nations railroad employees which prevented them from going on strike.  The issue is the nations airlines are such an intricate part of the US economy a strike would be a huge blow to the economy.  If American and their flight attendants ever got to the point where the nations railroad employees found themselves just last year Congress would for sure step in an impose a contract on them and I can promise you American's flight attendants would never let it get to that point because they wouldn't get half the things they are asking for in a new contract.

What I will say is airline management loves violating contracts they have with their employees and in most cases the union looks the other way especially if their membership doesn't file grievances.  What can happen is the union can tell its membership to fly the contract and not give American an inch of leeway, if that happens that could cause complications with their daily operation.  Airline management really relies on employees not knowing the contract which allows them to get away with a lot of things and most employees don't care as long as they are getting paid.  But if the union enforces the contract to the letter that could cause problems for AA's daily operation but they can't simply go on strike.

I feel for you and this situation. We were impacted by the SAS strike last summer and I was forced to book new flights a few days before my son was due at a very expensive camp in the UK. It was the height of summer with revenge travel in full force. I paid 2x what I paid for the original airfare.

I certainly wouldn't wait until a day or two before your trip to see what happens, that is whacky advice. If things are not looking good a week out, perhaps consider booking tickets from an airline that will allow you to reschedule if need be. The flight can be pushed out to cover a future trip. I have done this myself with Delta. It was not ideal, but in the long run it worked out.

Thanks all for the informed responses. I work in a hospital system with 13 different unions, and I thought I had a pretty good handle on collective bargaining (in healthcare, anyway), but it seems flight attendants (and this railway act) are nuances I'm not familiar with.

I truly appreciate all the advice. I feel better.

13 hours ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

Thanks all for the informed responses. I work in a hospital system with 13 different unions, and I thought I had a pretty good handle on collective bargaining (in healthcare, anyway), but it seems flight attendants (and this railway act) are nuances I'm not familiar with.

I truly appreciate all the advice. I feel better.

The Railroad Labor Act as applied to airlines for decades now.   Since all of the most recent mega mergers Delta/Northwest, United/Continental, American/US Airways, Southwest/Air Tran, the US really only has 4 major airlines.  Yeah Alaska acquired Virgin America but they are still a small airline when compared to the Big 4 and we have Spirit, Frontier, JetBlue, Allegiant, and Sun Country but they are minor players in the grand scheme of things.  

American Airlines is the largest airline in the world they have over 1,400 aircraft they operate over 5,200 flights each day. And although I don't work for American I'm going to assumed based on the airline I work for that American which is larger probably has at least 35,000 flight attendants.  Imagine the economic impact that would have on the US economy if an airline like American was brought to a screeching halt because their flight attendants when on strike especially in the age of mega mergers.  With airplanes already being full there is no way for Delta, United, Southwest, Alaska, JetBlue, Spirit and Frontier combined to pick up the slack that would create because as you all know as the flying public nearly ever time you get on an aircraft nearly every seat is taken.  Now more than ever the flying public needs the Railroad Labor Act because it really is the only thing standing between you all and what would be absolute chaos if an airline like American were to go on strike.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

To the contrary, "we will intensify our pressure on the company" sure sounds like a precursor to the phrase management dreads: "Working the contract."  When labor works to the letter of the contract and will do NOTHING outside of the scope of what is legally obligated of them, it can absolutely tie companies up in knots.  It is an extremely effective negotiating tool, and it will impact flights if they go that route.  I'm certainly not saying that's inevitable, but a mediator rejecting a full-on general strike is not the path to clear skies that some might assume.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

Oh this is far from settled.

The NMB has set more dates for another round of negotiations between AA and APFA (the union that represents AA's flight attendants).  According to a memo that was reviewed by an online site called Live and lets fly the APFA does not expect any thing new to come out of the next round of these newly scheduled NMB negotiations and intends to once again request a release to strike after those negotiations which by the way are scheduled to take place over a 3 day period December 12th through the 14th. According to the union American Airlines has not submitted any type of real proposal that comes close to addressing the APFA's concerns. If AA shows up with the same proposal that they've shown up with at other NMB negotiations the APFA will once again request a release to strike.   

That still doesn't mean the NMB will grant their request and even if their request was granted there still would be quite a few steps before they could legally strike assuming Congress would let them strike but this is NOT settled at all.  And again although I work for a different airline I think we are all keeping an eye on AA's negotiations because how AA goes is probably how the airline I work for will go and probably what Delta would do even though Delta FA's are not union at this time.   I can tell you this the two sides (AA and APFA) are still very, very, very far apart on a wide range of issues. 

https://liveandletsfly.com/american-airlines-flight-attendants-strike/

4 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Oh this is far from settled.

The NMB has set more dates for another round of negotiations between AA and APFA (the union that represents AA's flight attendants).  According to a memo that was reviewed by an online site called Live and lets fly the APFA does not expect any thing new to come out of the next round of these newly scheduled NMB negotiations and intends to once again request a release to strike after those negotiations which by the way are scheduled to take place over a 3 day period December 12th through the 14th. According to the union American Airlines has not submitted any type of real proposal that comes close to addressing the APFA's concerns. If AA shows up with the same proposal that they've shown up with at other NMB negotiations the APFA will once again request a release to strike.   

That still doesn't mean the NMB will grant their request and even if their request was granted there still would be quite a few steps before they could legally strike assuming Congress would let them strike but this is NOT settled at all.  And again although I work for a different airline I think we are all keeping an eye on AA's negotiations because how AA goes is probably how the airline I work for will go and probably what Delta would do even though Delta FA's are not union at this time.   I can tell you this the two sides (AA and APFA) are still very, very, very far apart on a wide range of issues. 

https://liveandletsfly.com/american-airlines-flight-attendants-strike/

“CONCLUSION

Instead of striking, American Airlines and the APFA will sit down next month and talk once again. The union has promised another strike request if progress is not made during the meeting, but the NMB does not appear ready right now to green-light a strike.

The way these things usually work out is that the two sides will remain far apart, a strike is eventually authorized, the airline gives in a little bit, the union gives in more, and a deal is struck. That will happen here, eventually, but the pageantry of negotiations and outrage will continue.”

well, here’s to hoping. 

42 minutes ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

“CONCLUSION

Instead of striking, American Airlines and the APFA will sit down next month and talk once again. The union has promised another strike request if progress is not made during the meeting, but the NMB does not appear ready right now to green-light a strike.

The way these things usually work out is that the two sides will remain far apart, a strike is eventually authorized, the airline gives in a little bit, the union gives in more, and a deal is struck. That will happen here, eventually, but the pageantry of negotiations and outrage will continue.”

well, here’s to hoping. 

Actually no they may never get the green light to strike. 

The last time the NMB allowed a group of airline employees from a major US airline to strike was 2005 and that was Northwest Airlines mechanics. But those were different times back then namely you had 7 major carriers in the US (American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, Southwest, United, and US Air).  The impact of any potential strike could be absorb by other carriers.  Now days there are only 4 major carriers and there have been plenty of contract the NMB has had to get involved over the years. Even now it isn't just American flight attendants requesting a release to strike.  Southwest which so happens to be the nations largest domestic airline their pilots which have been working with the NMB's help since last year September of 2022 has once again requested to be released from negotiations.  Their most recent request was also denied here just recently by the NMB.  This saga with Southwest and the NMB has been playing out for more than a year, and each time the NMB denies their request to strike. 

The point that I'm making here is although these airlines and the union representing the employees are far apart the likelihood of a strike is practically zero thanks in no small part to all these mega mergers that created the 4 largest airlines in the world.  

The last US carrier the that was permitted to strike was Spirit in 2010 but Spirit wasn't a major carrier in 2010 and they still aren't considered a major carrier in 2023. However the likelihood of the NMB allowing any represented workgroup at American, Delta, Southwest or United to strike now days is almost zero and if they did I'm almost certain Congress would step in like they did with the nations railroads.  By the way those 4 carriers mention together control over 85% of the US market.