Seapass in lanyard on Wonder?

Will we have to take our sea passes out of our clear lanyards on Wonder of the Seas? 

We just finished a cruise on Voyager and we had to constantly take our sea passes out of our lanyards to get drinks or get into our rooms. It made the lanyards kind of a hassle the whole time. Will we have to do the same thing on Wonder or are the cards different on newer ships? 

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You could get a WOW band for room access. But otherwise, yes, you need to take your card out if you can't use the hole punch technique.

I was thinking about doing the hole punch method, but I heard that the newer cards had a wire or something inside them... Do you know anything about that?

2 hours ago, Gilley said:

Can you use WOW bands to get on and off ship.  Think if I buy the band I can just leave my seapass in my room.  I’m going on Anthem Sunday.   Do anyone know the cost of the WOW bands?

I would always take Seapass when leaving ship.  The Port guards will expect to see them (as you enter the port area, not the ship itself), sometimes with ID, and they may not know what alternative access toys really are.  They are likely looking for the name of the ship as well as your name.

Wow bands can't be used for getting off/on the ship. You must use your seapass card. I would also highly recommend having your passport too(except for CocoCay and Labadee). As for the lanyard, the ones with the clip that you can use to separate the part holding the card from the part around your neck work great for giving your seapass card to waiter or bartender.

On Wonder you can also use your phone to unlock cabin door.

Was on Wonder earlier this summer.  We took WOW bands we had from prior cruises, and just went to guest services, and they were able to reprogram them for each one of us in our party at no charge.  The cost was $9.95 for a new one, if desired.

The various port agents on shore at various destinations don't have ANY way to read a WOW band and will ALWAYS want to look at your Seapass card.  Everyone is explicitly told to have your Seapass card to get both off and back on the ship, along with some form of photo ID.  You definitely can't get on or off the ship with a WOW band alone.

1. You CAN use the clear lanyard and never have to take the card out. Get one of the retractable ones so you don't have to keep taking it off to get in and out of your room.  You will have to take the lanyard off sometimes for drinks, other times they have a tap thing right on the bar and you can do it right from your neck.

2. You can also get the WOW band and use that for drinks and room entry- but you MUST HAVE the seapass itself to get on and off the ship.  Bringing passports or birth certificates and stuff is up to you- we never do, we lock them in the safe and never touch them again until we get off the last day. They DO suggest bringing photo ID off with you, though. 

We used the detachable and extendable combo lanyards below so we didn’t have to remove from neck for drinks  and can stretch to open room ( even though didn’t need the stretch as it reached the door) We also have the WOW bands which we reprogram when we get onboard. Sometimes one works better than the other, like when we take photos. Somehow forget to take our WOW bands off and don’t like them in some of our photos. 

IMG_7963.jpeg

Older ships use Seapass cards with barcodes.  Those can be punched and WOW Bands don’t work on those ships.  Newer ships like Wonder use RFID Seapass cards you can not punch hence the clear plastic ends on lanyards.  The RFID works through the clear plastic.  WOW Bands work on these ships.  The same WOW Bands from previous sailings can be mapped to your new sailing credentials for no charge.  I’ve not observed the older ships upgrade to the RFID systems yet and don’t know if they will.  In a perfect George Orwell world they would track everyone on the ship via RFID sensors around the ship and know where to add more bartenders on the fly (wishful optimism).