Royal UP after GTY assigned?

RCIfan1912

19 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Is it still possible to "win" a Royal UP bid after GTY cabin is assigned?

Yes, we did last year, on the day it was assigned (coincidence, or not, who knows?)

The only reason I even bid was because we knew from the bar code trick we were going to be assigned the only spot we really prefer to avoid. We only went from an interior to a promenade view and the bid was something like $15pp. As it turned out, we weren't huge fans of the promenade view, lol, but it got us off of deck 3 and we tried something new so it was fine.

I historically just switch my GTY's for free after they're assigned but we really didn't want to be down in the basement.

27 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, we did last year, on the day it was assigned (coincidence, or not, who knows?)

The only reason I even bid was because we knew from the bar code trick we were going to be assigned the only spot we really prefer to avoid. We only went from an interior to a promenade view and the bid was something like $15pp. As it turned out, we weren't huge fans of the promenade view, lol, but it got us off of deck 3 and we tried something new so it was fine.

I historically just switch my GTY's for free after they're assigned but we really didn't want to be down in the basement.

Oh cool. Yeah we have had bids on since July. Just wondering if you could still win a bid even after they officially assigned you a cabin. Thanks for the info.

As I said what they assigned is really great actually. We have bids in for suites only. 

1 minute ago, Qeyton Dude said:

Absolutely, bids can be won at any time, even on the day of departure, nothing to do with GTY, two totally independent events. 

Wow, awesome thanks for the info. Let's see what happens. There were like 12 suites open a week or two ago but it's less now. That surprises me because the rates are outrageous. 😲 sailing is 29 days out. Maybe there is some UP cabin shifting going on, who knows. 

3 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Wow, awesome thanks for the info. Let's see what happens. There were like 12 suites open a week or two ago but it's less now. That surprises me because the rates are outrageous. 😲 sailing is 29 days out. Maybe there is some UP cabin shifting going on, who knows. 

Because GTY and Royal Up are different independent programs, there's also the really, really, rare chance that you could "win" a bid that turns out to be a downgrade from what you got assigned from the GTY since the GTY is for a certain category or higher.  There was a thread sometime ago where it happened to someone.  In that case, I don't believe there's a way to decline the win so you would pay for it even though you got something better for free.  It's a (mostly theoretical) risk of doing both on the same reservation.

43 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Because GTY and Royal Up are different independent programs, there's also the really, really, rare chance that you could "win" a bid that turns out to be a downgrade from what you got assigned from the GTY since the GTY is for a certain category or higher.  There was a thread sometime ago where it happened to someone.  In that case, I don't believe there's a way to decline the win so you would pay for it even though you got something better for free.  It's a (mostly theoretical) risk of doing both on the same reservation.

Yes, exactly. I read that thread too.

That's why on my last cruise I initially only bid on a JS, which from an OV GTY standing was never going to happen. Then, once the bar code trick showed me I had been assigned an OV on deck 3, I put in a bid for a large balcony, which I won. I did bid before the OV room was officially assigned.