Refund after cancer diagnosis

Tcarr

I am trying to get refunded from a cruise I canceled with Royal Caribbean Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas .I was diagnosed with cancer one month before the cruise. I took every insurance they offered. It has been an ongoing process to get anywhere. No one will answer my emails.  I submitted my diagnosis paperwork from my oncologist.  Now they want paperwork from any doctor I have seen, and going back 4 months. All medical notes. I am so upset, a cancer diagnosis should be enough to automatically get my money back. Very stressed and upset.

You should be in contact with the insurance provider to understand what they need to provide. Ultimately you will cancel with Royal and lose the money, but then get reimbursed by the travel insurance.

12 hours ago, Tcarr said:

a cancer diagnosis should be enough to automatically get my money back.

It should, but there are a lot unscrupulous people who look to cheat the system, so it is why it is the way it is.

Eleven years ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks before our cruise.  Her oncologist wanted her to start treat as soon as possible. We booked our cruise and travel insurance through our trusted Cruise Agent as always.  We faxed a copy of the diagnosis and treatment plan from the doctor and our Cruise Agent took care of everything else.  In about three weeks we received a check for the cruise from the travel insurance company.  I wish you the very best with both the insurance and you treatments.

Bill

@Tcarr Really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope treatments will be met with success.  Prayers to you and your family and hope you have all the care and support you need.

The extra stress of getting the cruise seen about is something you don't need, @Matt advice sounds solid and he would now.

Best wishes and positive thoughts are in your direction.

19 hours ago, Tcarr said:

I am trying to get refunded from a cruise I canceled with Royal Caribbean Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas .I was diagnosed with cancer one month before the cruise. I took every insurance they offered. It has been an ongoing process to get anywhere. No one will answer my emails.  I submitted my diagnosis paperwork from my oncologist.  Now they want paperwork from any doctor I have seen, and going back 4 months. All medical notes. I am so upset, a cancer diagnosis should be enough to automatically get my money back. Very stressed and upset.

It may be that the insurance company is looking at pre-existing conditions. To be covered for that insurance must be purchased soon after booking cruise. Wishing you the best.

I don’t have any advice regarding the cruise but I’m hoping for the absolute best for you! I’m stage 4b (they say incurable) but I’m approaching 7 years cancer free. I do a lot of patient advocacy so feel free to message me here if you’d like some help navigating this. 

I would inquire if you could possibly move the cruise to another date after treatment. I had a “I kicked cancer’s butt” cruise and it was awesome!