Rerouted Cruise - Now to Portland, Maine

wild1apache

I am on Liberty of the Seas on Sept 2 and our cruise has now been diverted from Bermuda to Portland, Maine and Halifax, NS.  I love Halifax, but am at a loss as to what to do in Portland.  Does anyone have any ideas??  Also, how would I even book a shore excursion at this late date?  It says that everything is closed because we are 2 days out from sailing.  Does this mean that we have to stand in horrifically long lines once we board the ship to book an excursion?  Need direction, please.

Thanks in advance.

You will most likely be able to book shore tours on board either through your cabin TV or through a paper you can fill out and drop off with the shore tour people instead of having to wait in a long line to do it face to face at the desk. I might be wrong about this but I don't think I am, of course those who have to make some sort of special Arrangement might still need to talk face to face.

Check out the Live Blog section right now.  @Lovetocruise2002 is currently on Liberty and was in Portland the other day.  They had a pretty full day and everything looked great.  They also spent today in Halifax.  
Make the best of it…Bermuda looks like they will be getting lots of rain and wind.

Good Luck!

Portland has been gaining a reputation as a foodie town over the past few years.   There are plenty of good places to eat within walking distance of the pier.  Lots of places to get a drink if you’re so inclined.   Like SpeedNoodles said, it’s very walkable and safe. 

If food/drink aren’t your thing, there’s a lot to see just walking around the waterfront.  There are tons of shops in the area

There are places to buy excursions right on the waterfront.  Unless you decide you want to travel up to Freeport for shopping and the LL Bean flagship store, you really don’t need to book an excursion through Royal.   Even the Portland Head Light can be done via an Uber/Lyft if you want  

The end of tourist season is approaching, so prices on things may start to drop a bit  

Edited to add:  The weather is supposed to be nice. I hope you have a good time. 

9 hours ago, teddy said:

I was just thinking how crazy it would be if we were diverted from Bermuda to Portland since we live five miles from the city. Thankfully our cruise from Cape Liberty to Bermuda is in May. 

Right with you!  I’m in RI and visit Portland quite frequently…guess that would end up being a stay on the ship kind of day!  😆