Drink Tax???

icf75

14 minutes ago, icf75 said:

Hi, currently on western med cruise with pay as you go drinks. Was surprised to see a tax added to the cost of my drink. Does anyone know what this is and whether it only applies in ports? 

If it is a cruise that goes only to EU ports everything as the EU VAT including drinks and purchases in the ship "Duty-free" . If you are not from the EU and purchases something above 70 Euro you can get the VAT back by filling  a form bit it's not the case with food and drinks.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

If it is a cruise that goes only to EU ports everything as the EU VAT including drinks and purchases in the ship "Duty-free" . If you are not from the EU and purchases something above 70 Euro you can get the VAT back by filling  a form bit it's not the case with food and drinks.

Doesn't have to be above €70, every country is different. 

You can only make a claim as long as you get a special receipt for vat claim back.

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

VAT is tax. We paid it for ship purchases, like souvenirs, too.

I'd assume the shops would be closed when the ship is in port to avoid the issue of local taxes.

Re drinks, does the drinks package cover the extra charge when in port, I don't remember seeing a seperate charge on our bill.

9 hours ago, Mike.s said:

I'd assume the shops would be closed when the ship is in port to avoid the issue of local taxes.

Re drinks, does the drinks package cover the extra charge when in port, I don't remember seeing a seperate charge on our bill.

Shops were open sailing between ports. We paid over 20$ in VAT to Royal. Not a lot.