Onboard Activities

Hello.   First time cruiser.  Ovation of the Seas 7 night Alaskan cruise.  
When I sign in, it shows that I can now sign up for onboard activities but they all show sold out.  Will I be able to sign up once I board the ship?  
Also, why do these activities show a price?   I thought all that was free?   
iFly, Flowrider, Northstar.   

Thank you.   

iFly and Northstar have free and paid options... the free ones are a shorter length of time and I think only when in port (but not 100% sure on the port part). Flowrider is free 95% of the time, they have some times set aside for lessons and a private session or two that people can pay for, otherwise that is something you just walk up to and wait in line for at not cost. 

One of the first things when you get on board, after getting an alcoholic drink and making dining reservations, is to reserve shows and activities.  

Not all activities need to be reserved.  For Ovation, reserve the free iFly and Northstar for earlier in the cruise than later.  If you feel like the free versions merit another go around, pay for a second ride.  The paid Northstar goes 360 degrees around the ship whereas the free Northstar only goes up and down.  Honestly, I feel like I didn't need the second time on the Northstar but we got it for free anyways.  The free iFly is like 2 minutes of tube time after a 15 minute orientation and suiting up.  The paid iFly gives you an additional 60 seconds.  If you have logged enough time on iFly, you can pay for advanced sessions.

Also, be sure to get the times for Bumper cars.  Its free and you cannot reserve it, but it is SUPER FUN.  We did it twice.  Loved it.  The lines are long and depending upon how many cars are broken, the wait can be pretty long too.

Flowrider is another free activity that can get long lines.  Problem in Alaska is that unless you are lugging around extra towels or wearing a wetsuit, you are waiting outdoors in line, in the cold, and with the sea breeze.  Simply put, its cold waiting in line.  My suggestion is to go on a port day.  Do your port activities early, get back to the ship and enjoy the Flowrider on an emptier ship.  I do not recommend Flowrider on sea days because the location of the flowrider and the ship cruising makes it a bit chillier due to the extra breeze.

For the shows, I cannot remember but I thought that only Pixels required a reservation.  Both shows are great.

2 hours ago, Florz said:

I find it amusing (and somewhat distressing) that some write they need to start drinking the moment they get onboard. 

If I was still drinking it would be the first thing I do. For a lot of people that's what represents the start of vacation..finally on the ship and a cold drink

1 hour ago, Ryan79 said:

How dare adults unwind on their vacation upon boarding the ship!! 😂🤣😂 

"Honey we are finally on the ship. Look how nice the Boardwalk is!"  "Leave me alone. I need to get a gin and tonic before we see anything because I need to unwind!"  JK (To each his own!).

If I would’ve been cruising when I was in my 20s, my first beer of my first day of vacation would have been before we got in the cab to get to the port. 

I really don’t miss those days, but I totally understand people that enjoy a good drink right when they get on the ship.