Royally Confused.

My wife and I are booked on Oasis of the Seas to the Bahamas at the end of August.

We purchased the unlimited dining package weeks ago. Furthermore, last night we signed onto the RC App and were able to reserve times and dates for "Cats", "One Sky," "Aqua 80,' etc.

Question #1 for those who have more RC cruising experience than myself. If we do not have the Cruise Compass for our upcoming cruise (and the June Cruise Compass I found online has different times for the shows than are available for our cruise), than how in the world do I know if Cats, for example, is scheduled for a time conflicting with something else I might like better for my cruise (e.g. Trivia)? How can you make a show reservation without the knowledge of knowing what else might be happening at that time?

Question #2 that I would appreciate help with. When we signed onto the RC app last night, it allowed those who do NOT have the unlimited dining package to reserve specialty restaurants on the days and times of their choosing (albeit they would pay full price for that restaurant). Conversely, it (app) does not allow me to reserve the times and days (and restaurants) of my choosing.  Common sense tells me that by the time I get on the ship to make my restaurant choices, all the times and places I want will have already be reserved by those who did not pay for the unlimited dining package. "Sorry Sir. Chips Grill got totally booked weeks ago..."  It feels like those with the Unlimited Dining Package are being penalized and sent to the back of the line...

Any advice would be welcome as my phone calls to RC's cruise planner department were, well, useless. 

To those who respond, thank you in advance!

You get a discount for buying the package over purchasing individual meals. The trade off for the discount is you cannot reserve in advance. They won't be all full because only a certain amount of reservations are available in advance. The rest are for those who board and go directly to make them. Getting a day and time you want is all about boarding as early as possible. But have a backup set of days and times. Be flexible. It will go much easier. But there will be days and times for reservations for available for those who purchased the package. Just may not be the exact day and time you had in mind. Again, be flexible.

42 minutes ago, Florz said:

how in the world do I know if Cats, for example, is scheduled for a time conflicting with something else I might like better for my cruise (e.g. Trivia)? How can you make a show reservation without the knowledge of knowing what else might be happening at that time?

You can't. The activities like trivia won't be in the app and accurate until very close to your sail date and sometimes even update on embarkation day.

You can always try to switch your show reservations once onboard or just use the standby line if you don't like your original reservation day/time.

Don't stress about stuff like trivia, there are different types of trivia run several times everyday from morning until early evening.

You can only do your best to fit in everything you want to do and see but inevitably something may conflict. It won't ruin your cruise though, trust me.

As for your other question. There are always more than one thing going on at time. And some do change up till days before sailing. I say you never know what you will like till you try, so don't worry about it.

Aqua show is great. Get there 30 minutes early or they will start giving seats away. It's not to be missed. 

As for all other shows, games, activities. How can you really know what you like till you try anyway.

You can skip a reservation for something else and try to get in without a reservation another night on stand by. Again, get to something 20 to 30 min early and wait for stand by. Not everyone keeps every reservation. 

You traded a the ability to make reservations ahead of time for a huge dining discount. You aren’t being penalized as you choose the discount over this ability to prebook. Those who paid more are and should be the priority from a business standpoint. You can always cancel and book those reservations right now. There WILL be booking slots available when you board, but you must be flexible with both days and times. Also, you need to make those reservations as soon as you get on board.

You're going to have a great cruise.

On Number 1, it's common to worry and want to pre-plan all of your days.  When you get onboard you'll more likely go with your flow.  The shows, especially Aqua 80 are likely things that would win any activity face off.  If not, don't reserve them, or reserve them and if you change your mind, cancel your reservation.

Number 2 is pretty well covered.  The Unlimited Dining Package clearly states reservations need to be made onboard.  That's what the discount is for.  Just first thing when you board go to one specialty restaurant and book all of your dinging for the week.  You'll see that it will work out fine.  If you absolutely need exact times and days for specific restaurants, you may want to forgo the savings and obtain that.  Otherwise you're going to see that it all works out just fine.