Flying into FLL vs MIA for Miami cruise

InmyElement

Southwest just opened their schedules till March 2024. We're booked for the Oasis in Jan out of Miami. Flights are about $400 cheaper for 4 to fly into FLL than Mia. We'll be going down 2 days ahead of time and flying out same day as disembarkation. I've never been to either but read that Miami is the lesser by several factors. Just looking for any advice/thoughts whether to go right into MIA or go with FLL. Uber XL estimates travel from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami port about $88-$97. I checked with my TA and other airlines, but nothing comes close to SW prices.

Thanks 

Fort Lauderdale is better, cheaper and much less congested than Miami Dade County. If you can save money flying into FLL, the trip to Port of Miami is quick and easy on cruise day. If you decide to stay here, let me know if you need any suggestions for Fort Lauderdale as I am a long time local and live the South Florida lifestyle! 

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 12:45 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

Fort Lauderdale is better, cheaper and much less congested than Miami Dade County. If you can save money flying into FLL, the trip to Port of Miami is quick and easy on cruise day. If you decide to stay here, let me know if you need any suggestions for Fort Lauderdale as I am a long time local and live the South Florida lifestyle! 

I have several cruises coming up, both out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. What would be the earliest flights you would suggest out of Ft Lauderdale Airport for cruises returning to both ports. We can do walk off at both ports. Thank you.

31 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I have several cruises coming up, both out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. What would be the earliest flights you would suggest out of Ft Lauderdale Airport for cruises returning to both ports. We can do walk off at both ports. Thank you.

I would consider booking a flight at any point after noon for both ports. This is certainly conservative but it allows for contingency in the case of issues with customs, transportation exc. As for pre cruise, come in the day before because of the mess that is current air travel (hopefully you NEVER have to connect through ATL or connect at all for that matter). 

22 hours ago, BB1 said:

Thanks for the info about ATL. I was looking at some Delta flights that connect there.  I didn't know it was so bad.

Hopefully you can fly direct. I have connected through ATL a few times in the past couple months and have been heavily delayed or cancelled each time. Maybe it’s just bad luck but I wouldn’t take any chances before a vacation.  

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. The flights I was looking at were actually post cruise. It's strange to me but a lot of the connections for American are in Charlotte and they schedule 30 minute layovers. I've never been brave enough to do that.

6 hours ago, BB1 said:

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. The flights I was looking at were actually post cruise. It's strange to me but a lot of the connections for American are in Charlotte and they schedule 30 minute layovers. I've never been brave enough to do that.

Yes, that has been my experience connecting through ATL. It’s always something, either no pilot available or we are held on the ground at FLL until weather passes exc. A 30 minute gap has not been good enough. 

We had a Trans-Atlantic out of Miami in March and flew into FLL. Others flew into MIA so we just hopped on the BrightRail straight to MIA and then caught the hotel shuttle at MIA. Cost us about $10 each from FLL to MIA. I think it only took about an hour. Easy transfer. Saved about $400 for 2 of us on flight and transfers. 

22 hours ago, deButler said:

We had a Trans-Atlantic out of Miami in March and flew into FLL. Others flew into MIA so we just hopped on the BrightRail straight to MIA and the?n caught the hotel shuttle at MIA. Cost us about $10 each from FLL to MIA. I think it only took about an hour. Easy transfer. Saved about $400 for 2 of us on flight and transfers. 

How did you get to the pier from hotel?

On Oasis this November.  Any suggestions on private shuttle/limo services from FLL area (where we fly into) to MIA cruise port?  We will overnight in FLL area, then go to MIA cruise port in the AM.  Off the ship at earliest time coming back to take private shuttle/limo back to FLL.  

On 8/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, CharmMicah68 said:

On Oasis this November.  Any suggestions on private shuttle/limo services from FLL area (where we fly into) to MIA cruise port?  We will overnight in FLL area, then go to MIA cruise port in the AM.  Off the ship at earliest time coming back to take private shuttle/limo back to FLL.  

It’s much less of a hassle to just call an Uber or Lyft. 

I am also looking for flights for a Miami cruise in March of 2024. My preferred airports do not fly into Miami. And the times for the flights to Miami and the airports I can fly out of are real bad. I have been thinking of doing the same as you. Fly into FLL, stay at hotel in FLL and get a transport to Miami in the morning. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:07 PM, RamblingRandie said:

I am also looking for flights for a Miami cruise in March of 2024. My preferred airports do not fly into Miami. And the times for the flights to Miami and the airports I can fly out of are real bad. I have been thinking of doing the same as you. Fly into FLL, stay at hotel in FLL and get a transport to Miami in the morning. 

March is an expensive month in Miami or Fort Lauderdale due to college spring break. The hotel prices will be 1-200% more than normal. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:48 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

March is an expensive month in Miami or Fort Lauderdale due to college spring break. The hotel prices will be 1-200% more than normal. 

Some friends and I are on a cruise out of Miami on Feb 25; 3 of us are flying into FLL, the other 3 to MIA.  We'd like a hotel in the north Miami/south Ft. Lauderdale area that won't break the bank.  Matt's favorite in FLL (Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Airport) looks good and is definitely on the list, but I'd like to check out some a little further toward Miami as well.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Southern Waters said:

Some friends and I are on a cruise out of Miami on Feb 25; 3 of us are flying into FLL, the other 3 to MIA.  We'd like a hotel in the north Miami/south Ft. Lauderdale area that won't break the bank.  Matt's favorite in FLL (Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Airport) looks good and is definitely on the list, but I'd like to check out some a little further toward Miami as well.  Any suggestions?

I don’t really have any recommendations for Miami unfortunately. I’m sure others can chime in for something but it’s certainly not going to get any better price wise the closer you get to Miami. If you fly into FLL it makes sense to stay in the area and just ride share to the port of Miami on the morning of your cruise. I would suggest you check out Dania Pointe as Feb 25th is pushing too close to the start of Spring break and prices will be noticeably higher.