Cancelation for health reasons

My husband and I were supposed to go on Alaskan cruise in June. We had not taken insurance(my bad) as I was going regardless. Well the regardless happened and my husband went in 2 weeks to a doctor appointment and is now scheduled for open heart surgery June 1st.  I have called a few times trying to find out if it’s possible to get any kind of a refund or get a credit to go next year.  I have found it very frustrating as I was told to go check on getting travel insurance and to call AON Affinity Services and then they tell me they can’t do anything. I called the Consumer Outreach team a few times and found it very frustrating.  I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to recoup some of the money from the cruise or get a credit to go next year?   

2 hours ago, TerryR said:

My husband and I were supposed to go on Alaskan cruise in June. We had not taken insurance(my bad) as I was going regardless. Well the regardless happened and my husband went in 2 weeks to a doctor appointment and is now scheduled for open heart surgery June 1st.  I have called a few times trying to find out if it’s possible to get any kind of a refund or get a credit to go next year.  I have found it very frustrating as I was told to go check on getting travel insurance and to call AON Affinity Services and then they tell me they can’t do anything. I called the Consumer Outreach team a few times and found it very frustrating.  I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to recoup some of the money from the cruise or get a credit to go next year?   

No travel insurance, June 2023 sail date (you don't mention the year)? Outside of throwing yourself on the mercy of someone at RCCL that isn't in a call center, it would appear your situation is indeed not looking good. Cancelation policy in the cruise ticket contract provides the time windows and refund amounts for each. If a June 2023 sailing, Royal keeps 100% of the fare (having purchased no coverage other than that offered by Royal the cancelation policy and prorated refund schedule kicks in at 90 days from final payment date, and the cancelation policy is not tied to the coverage).If you had insurance, unless available and you purchased a 'preexisting conditions' rider at the time of coverage purchase, could still be problematic .  Did the payment method you used (credit card) offer any travel protection? If I'm wrong, others will correct me. In the meantime, best wishes and prayers for the success of your husband's procedure and a speedy recovery. 

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Since you have no insurance, your only reliable choice is to just pay the $100pp and move the cruise to a later date.

I'm not sure that's an official option a few weeks before the cruise.  

After final payment everyone is bound to the same cancellation policy.

At this point the concept of refundable or nonrefundable is moot.  The $100pp change fee is a component of the non-refundable deposit program.

Under 30 days out the policy is nothing refunded, no change fee option.

Twice I was in a position to skip a cruise due to last minute family events.  I didn't cancel on the basis that something might happen to the ship or port and the very small chance that they might cancel the cruise.  When that didn't happen I walked away from the money.  I did get port fees and taxes back.  

1 - 4 Night Cruises

Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Charge Per Guest
Booking - 75 Days No Charges*
74 - 61 Days 50% of total price
60 - 31 Days 75% of total price
30 - 0 Days No refund

* With the exception of Nonrefundable Deposit amounts.

Last Modified: 04/01/2022

dot_DBEDF1.gif

Cruises 5 Nights or Longer

Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Charge Per Guest
Booking - 90 Days No Charges*
89 - 75 Days 25% of total price
74 - 61 Days 50% of total price
60 - 31 Days 75% of total price
30 - 0 Days No refund

* With the exception of Nonrefundable Deposit amounts.

7 hours ago, TerryR said:

You may be able to rebook for another date.  But without insurance I doubt you can get anything refunded.  I always get travel insurance, and have used it 3 times.  Once the night before we were leaving.  You just never know.