Internet

Question about internet packages. I recently went on a cruise and purchased the internet package. There must have been a glitch at some point and I received a huge AT&T bill. I called ATT and they said I can purchase their $100 package for a month and it’s the same thing. Anyone have experience with this 

21 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

I quick slide into Airplane mode would have saved you a fortune! There was no “glitch” as your phone cannot glitch itself off of Airplane Mode

I've seen a phone do it.  Especially if you have auto updates on and the phone upgrades anything such as the carrier settings without a full OS upgrade.  

Mine did this recently.  I looked down and ... oh crap!

Fortunately TMobile doesn't allow data over cellular@sea, just voice and text.  So I had no charges.  

Never say never.......at least with an Android phone. Last November, my wife and I are sitting on the balcony watching the world go by. Phones were in airplane mode the minute we boarded in Canaveral. My phone was on the table when the following message appeared on the screen, headed by the Verizon Wireless logo:

WELCOME TO CUBA! 

Followed by some gibberish about network use. We were indeed off the Eastern tip of the island with the land mass in plain view; perhaps within 10 miles?

I checked the phone I hadn't touched til then, it was indeed back on network. 🤪

Same thing happened recently in St. Maarten & St Thomas once off the ship. There was an 'R' icon adjacent to the network icon. 

Time for a new phone? 🤔

8 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Never say never.......at least with an Android phone. Last November, my wife and I are sitting on the balcony watching the world go by. Phones were in airplane mode the minute we boarded in Canaveral. My phone was on the table when the following message appeared on the screen, headed by the Verizon Wireless logo:

WELCOME TO CUBA! 

Followed by some gibberish about network use. We were indeed off the Eastern tip of the island with the land mass in plain view; perhaps within 10 miles?

I checked the phone I hadn't touched til then, it was indeed back on network. 🤪

Same thing happened recently in St. Maarten & St Thomas once off the ship. There was an 'R' icon adjacent to the network icon. 

Time for a new phone? 🤔

I think what racks up the $$$ is data usage on cellular@sea, so as long as you have your data roaming switched off it shouldn't be an issue.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I've seen a phone do it.  Especially if you have auto updates on and the phone upgrades anything such as the carrier settings without a full OS upgrade.  

Mine did this recently.  I looked down and ... oh crap!

Fortunately TMobile doesn't allow data over cellular@sea, just voice and text.  So I had no charges.  

Had a similar experiance, came back on board from Cozumel after my shower, going to dinner I thought, need to turn Wifi on (turn it off on land to conserve battery from endless searching) noticed phone was not in Airplane mode. 

I set to Airplane at sail away and dont take it out until debarkation.  Watched the bill like a hawk that month, got lucky.