The Key

We took our first cruise last September and booked the Key and liked it so much we booked it again for our upcoming cruise in August. We were going to buy the Internet package anyway and bought it on a sale that made it only a few dollars more. My wife liked that we got to skip the lines boarding and debarkation and we got an exclusive lunch on boarding day and an exclusive breakfast on debarkation. The carry-on drop off was nice as well since it was our first time ever on a cruise ship we walked all over to "get a feel of it" and didn't have to drag a bag with us. We used the Key seats for a couple of shows, but there was plenty of seats in the theatre if we didn't have the Key.  Those are the reasons we like it and I included a list from the website of the benefits 

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive benefits during their cruise vacation:

• Priority access during The Key designated arrival time (to be communicated via email). Other benefits may apply at specific ports.*
  • Carry-on bag drop off with delivery to your stateroom. **
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key signature menu.***
  • 20% off at all specialty restaurants, when you make the reservation on Day 1 of the sailing.
  • Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Dedicated seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70.****
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 of Device high speed internet per person who purchases the package.
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. If you don’t see it, ask your Stateroom Attendant or go to Guest Services to apply the icon.

We had The Key for our last cruise and purchased it for our December cruise on the Wonder.  From reading many of the different posts on this, there seems to be mixed opinions on if it's worth it.  Personally, I think it's worth it, especially if you're not high on the point/level system yet.  

The value of the Key depends on several factors.

Are you staying in a suite? 

Are you able-bodied?

Are you arriving to the cruise terminal before lunch? 

Would you buy an Internet package if you were not buying The Key?

Are there any ports on your sailing where they use tenders instead of docking?

Do you plan on using the FlowRider (if applicable)?

Are you going to attend the shows?

For me, the value of the Key was in the expedited departure that only suite guests get, since Mrs. Cake has challenges. That benefit alone was worth the difference between the cost of Voom and the cost of the Key.

That said, try to get The Key when it is on sale. 🙂

19 hours ago, Cakemeister said:

The value of the Key depends on several factors.

Are you staying in a suite? No

Are you able-bodied? I may have a mobility scooter, as walking long distances or standing can get me.   

Are you arriving to the cruise terminal before lunch? Hope to have early boarding time

Would you buy an Internet package if you were not buying The Key? yes

Are there any ports on your sailing where they use tenders instead of docking? I don't believe so.   do you know of a way to confirm.   We have Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamica and Coco Cay

Do you plan on using the FlowRider (if applicable)? My husband does

Are you going to attend the shows? yes

For me, the value of the Key was in the expedited departure that only suite guests get, since Mrs. Cake has challenges. That benefit alone was worth the difference between the cost of Voom and the cost of the Key.

That said, try to get The Key when it is on sale. 🙂

18 hours ago, Christiancowgirl said:

Based on what you have said, I think buying the Key is perfect for you.

You'll get expedited embarkation and enjoy the lunch. You would normally buy Internet, so the additional cost for The Key is less. Key purchasers get exclusive (but limited) time on the FlowRider. Key purchasers have a nice section of reserved seats at the theater. You'll also enjoy the departure breakfast and being whisked off the ship, bypassing any lines. And, if your ports are tender ports and I think they are not but I'm not 100% sure, you'll get expedited tender service.

Have fun!

3 hours ago, TomGlo said:

So, what about Vision of the Seas?  No flowrider, etc.  Is it worth it for extra meal & early entry?

That’s something only you can decide for your self. Many say Yes and many say No. Lunch at Chops is about $60 for 2 and my last cruise I walked into the ship 10 minutes after the taxi dropped me off at the port without The Key. Guess which way I lean?