Boston on our own?

RCIfan1912

Been looking at excursions for Boston and nothing is really sticking out to us for different reasons. Some kids aren't allowed, others are just too expensive and the others we just don't want to do. What can we do on our own but not straying too far from the cruise terminal. It'll be late October if that helps. Anything fun to do or see closer to the cruise terminal? Thanks for any suggestions. 

Boston is easily walkable and safe.

It’s just over a mile walk from the cruise terminal to South Station, where you can    access the subway.  The New England Aquarium area is about a mile and a half walk.   Faneuil Hall is probably another half mile.   The Freedom Trail is close by there and fun if history interests you.   

Taxis are available, and I believe there is a hop on/hop off trolley that stops near the terminal when ships make port calls.  My wife and I like hop on/hop off trolleys in cities that are new to us. 

If it’s windy, the buildings will create a wind tunnel effect, so bring a jacket if it’s cool out. Maybe even a hat and gloves, too. 

As I recall, you’ll be there while we’re on Explorer, otherwise I’d pop down and meet for lunch. 

55 minutes ago, Villageidiot said:

It's about 2 miles to the New England Aquarium which is really nice. Also the aquarium is close to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Marketplace. The latter has some great food places. 

Oh I didn't know it was that close. That's actually a place we wanted to go. Two miles isn't too bad, thanks. 

35 minutes ago, teddy said:

Boston is easily walkable and safe.

It’s just over a mile walk from the cruise terminal to South Station, where you can    access the subway.  The New England Aquarium area is about a mile and a half walk.   Faneuil Hall is probably another half mile.   The Freedom Trail is close by there and fun if history interests you.   

Taxis are available, and I believe there is a hop on/hop off trolley that stops near the terminal when ships make port calls.  My wife and I like hop on/hop off trolleys in cities that are new to us. 

If it’s windy, the buildings will create a wind tunnel effect, so bring a jacket if it’s cool out. Maybe even a hat and gloves, too. 

As I recall, you’ll be there while we’re on Explorer, otherwise I’d pop down and meet for lunch. 

Thanks, the aquarium is actually a place we would like to go. That's the ticket I think. 1.5 mile walk isn't so bad. 

Explorer is amazing! We love that ship! It's out of where to where? 

48 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

Boston is VERY easy to get around and you can easily make a full day of the city without having to spend much money at all. I would highly recommend just doing your own thing.

Yeah there were only a few that we kinda liked. There was this ghosts of Boston that looked cool but no kids under 7. We have a 9 year or, well he'll be 10 at time of sailing and 18 month old so that was out. Might as well just do stuff on our own. 

40 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah, we were thinking of doing that but now it's sold out through Royal Caribbean. The sold out part I don't get for a hop on hop off bus. 

You can probably get tickets through the website. 

There may be other companies, but this is the one I see the most. 

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Explorer is amazing! We love that ship! It's out of where to where? 

Leaving from Ravenna (ie Venice) and ending in Civitavecchia (Rome).   It’s a bucket list cruise for us. 

30 minutes ago, teddy said:

You can probably get tickets through the website. 

There may be other companies, but this is the one I see the most. 

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/hop-on-hop-off

Leaving from Ravenna (ie Venice) and ending in Civitavecchia (Rome).   It’s a bucket list cruise for us. 

Thank you very much for the link. Might be a very good option. 

The Aquarium is a short walk from Charlestown where you can visit the Bunker Hill Monument and Old Ironsides (USS Constitution).  You're also at the North End which has Paul Revere's house and is know for it's Italian restaurants.  As was already mentioned, you'll also be a short walk to Fanueil Hall/Quincy Marketplace.  You can also pick up the Freedom Trail there and explore some of the rich history of the city.

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

Been looking at excursions for Boston and nothing is really sticking out to us for different reasons. Some kids aren't allowed, others are just too expensive and the others we just don't want to do. What can we do on our own but not straying too far from the cruise terminal. It'll be late October if that helps. Anything fun to do or see closer to the cruise terminal? Thanks for any suggestions. 

There is also a double-decker sightseeing bus "Boston Sightseeing", which provides hop-on hop-off tours around the city.

1 hour ago, danielbarker said:

There is also a double-decker sightseeing bus "Boston Sightseeing", which provides hop-on hop-off tours around the city.

Thanks, we decided no excursion in Boston. Gonna try to get to the aquarium, not sure if we should walk or get a ride somehow. Is it an easy, safe walk? 

On 8/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

Thanks, we decided no excursion in Boston. Gonna try to get to the aquarium, not sure if we should walk or get a ride somehow. Is it an easy, safe walk? 

I don't think it's walkable from the port.  Use Uber/Lyft to get to the aquarium.  I would walk from there over to Fanuel Hall Marketplace - It is definitely worth doing and is relatively close to the aquarium.