I’m cheating on Royal

Jill

After 187 nights, I’m looking for love…….down by the river! (cue Chris Farley/Matt Foley)

Just booked our first river cruise and first outside of Royal. Christmas on the Danube with Viking. Budapest, Vienna, Krems, Regensburg with post cruise in Prague. 

I’m expecting total shock lol. 190 passengers. We had to bring along 3 other couples as our emotional support cruise buddies. 

It’ll certainly be a big change and I don’t feel THAT guilty. Royal doesn’t do rivers! 

European Christmas Markets are supposedly “magical.” 

Price was good and I lost that Christmas cheer several years ago. Looking to get my Christmas groove back on. Now I have to wait until December 2024. We’ve got Wonder, Allure and Icon to hold us over. 

Excited but hope it’s not a cruise of the living dead. 😂

• 1 month later...

Well we are up to 6 couples now (The Danube Dozen), I’m not too worried now about being entertained. I have a feeling we may be the entertainment. 

I did score an unbelievable Airbnb in Budapest. 7 bedrooms, 3 bath for $298 TOTAL for 2 nights pre-cruise. That comes to $50 a couple for both nights! It’s brand new and gorgeous and right in the middle of everything. Host has over 22k reviews so I’m comfortable knowing it’s not a bait and switch. 

As someone who lived in Europe for six years during my US Army days, I endorse the Christmas Markets. The ones in Nurnberg, Rothenberg and Augsburg are terrific. When there is a little snow, they are even better. Some our fondest memories are of the "Kristkindle Markt". I know you'll have a great time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just popped over to this forum and your post caught my eye.  I do hope we will somehow hear all about this river cruise of yours!   Sounds awesome.  I receive the Viking River Cruise booklets in the mail all the time!  They definitely sound like a completely different way to cruise…so I’ll be looking for your review!

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jill said:

I’m expecting total shock lol. 190 passengers. We had to bring along 3 other couples as our emotional support cruise buddies. 

I am jealous you’ll have table mates for the dinner seating! I am traveling with my husband on our first river cruise in August 2024 (we chose AMAWaterways, Rhine from Amsterdam - Basel) but our ship only has 150 guests and I am nervous to have to sit with different people each night/be more easily recognized by other cruisers. Usually we are easily lost in a sea of 4000+ guests! 

I’ll be interested to hear how you like Viking, the only reasons I chose AMA over them were for the all-included excursions (instead of just one per day) and not having to adhere to Viking’s absolutely WILD payment timeline. They wanted all $10k over a year in advance! What! I am happy to have all year to scrape it together and make final payment 3 months ahead like usual, haha.