Cabin Reservation

I am looking to retire soon and cruise more.  I just booked a Solo cruise on Allure, my wife is off on girls trip so I am going to cruise.  When I booked I saw a cheeper price if I let Royal Caribbean pick my Cabin.  Just wondering would that mean I get the best cabin open at time of departure for that level?  the worst cabin?  just looking for feedback for anyone who has selected this option.    

If you pick this option you can be assigned a cabin anywhere on the ship.   While there is the potential to get a better cabin than the class you picked (ie. A balcony when you picked an inside), the reality is that this doesn’t happen.  

You could be assigned an awesome location or below/next to a noisy area.  You could be assigned way aft and have a long walk to get anywhere. 

If you can’t say “I will be happy in a cabin anywhere” then this option isn’t for you. 

This all being said, my wife and I have chosen this option in the past and will do so at various times in the future. 

The “best” or “worst” remaining cabins are subjective. You will get randomly assigned whatever is left by a computer. There isn’t a person who is going to evaluate which is the best remaining room in your GTY category to give you. Some people have had great luck with doing this option. However the more booked your cruise is, the less options there will be to put you in a good cabin location. It’s a gamble for sure, but that’s the trade off with the discount. If you are concerned about location AT ALL, I wouldn’t go this route.

You ask if you would get the best or worst cabin. Everybody is assuming you mean location. I would be curious to know your definition is of best and worst?

Every cabin in a category is the same on the inside. Size, furniture, decorations, etc. Only location would differ.

A full ship would not play any part whatsoever in being assigned a bad location as others have stated. I have received excellent locations on all my trips and all have been full ships. It truly is the luck of the draw. However, I never go into it with any expectations. You can pay more, pick what you think is a perfect location, and have the neighbors from hell in the next cabin. Or a plumbing problem. Or AC problem in that perfectly picked out cabin. So much can make or break it. I happen to find trying a different part of the ship each time exciting. How do you know what you like till you try right?

That being said. If your question is in fact about location? Not interior. Then if that's an issue, this isn't for you. Personally I have yet to find a bad location in 25 years. 

We almost always book GTY's. One thing you should know, after your cabin has been officially assigned (this can be anywhere from a month or more in advance to the day you sail), you can call and ask to be switched to any other cabin in the SAME EXACT category if any are available. If you're not aware, all interiors aren't the same, all ocean view balconies aren't the same, etc. If you have a 2B you can only switch to a 2B.

This takes some of the gamble out of booking GTY's and I have moved mine more often than not (sometimes more than once for the same cruise).