Ship to Shore Communications

jce2

I plan on getting the ATT daily use package for the Caribbean.  But of course that wont work on the actual boat.  I understand if I get vroom I can use the internet as a data phone on-board.  So if I am on-board with vroom, and son is ashore with ATT, can we talk?

If you have a smartphone that supports WiFi calling, you won't need the cellular package from AT&T if you order voom. If you don't have a WiFi calling-compatible phone, you'll need the cruise package but it's expensive, so check to see if you'll even need it. 

To answer your question yes you can call ship to shore using Voom as long as your phone supports WiFi calling. 

Just now, jce2 said:

I am thinking you would need the ATT package to handle the shore side of the equation

Nope - because the AT&T package is just for your phone since you'll be on the ship. When the call comes in to anyone on land, it's just another call it doesn't matter where it's coming from. If you were calling collect, that might be another story. 

If someone has service on the shore, whether via cellular or WiFi calling at a cafe (for example) and someone else has service on the ship (in this case via Voom, so you're phone needs to support WiFi calling as well), then you're in business.

If you wanted to not rely on WiFI calling and such, then WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, etc could be used over data.  Here's an article on the site about staying in touch on your RCI cruise:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

1 hour ago, jce2 said:

What I am saying os in order for my son to initiate the call from shore to the phone om ship he would need the package

Nope.  As long as he has cell service on shore (or WiFi and Wifi calling) he can call anyone he wants anywhere.  If you have WiFi calling (b/c you're connecting to Voom), then anyone can contact you (and you can call anyone) - just like if you were connected at home or anywhere else.

Voom is just the name for the ship's WiFi service, and WiFi calling is just something which allows your phone to work completely normally, just like at home, as long as you've got WiFi.

Your son will pick up his phone, call your phone, and if you're on Voom and have WiFi calling on then your phone will ring and you'll chat. 

Does this clear things up? Lemme know if not, I'll be glad to rephrase.

One thing that I learned when I activated wifi calling on my phone. At least with Verizon, and I'm guessing all carriers, you have to set up the first wifi hot spot you connect to as your home location (for 911 handling or something similar, as I recall). So be sure to enable wifi calling before you leave home for your trip; I doubt you'd be able to make it work on the ship.

Don't waste your money on that AT&T package.

Here's what you need to do...

1. Before your cruise, activate Wi-Fi calling on your phone. Here's an overview from AT&T on how to activate.
  2. Purchase a Royal Caribbean Voom internet package (preferably before the cruise so you save money).
  3. Once onboard the RC ship, place phone into Airplane Mode
  4. Activate WiFi, but leave phone in Airplane mode
  5. Connect to Voom
  6. Shortly after connecting, your phone should say "AT&T WiFi" in the top left corner 
    ios-9-att-wifi-calling.jpg

That's it.  Now as long as you are connected, you can call your son or your son can call you.

Thank you for your patience but allow me one more question......ignore my phone in this equation.  Scenario:  An ATT user in ON SHORE with no wi-fi cafe near by.  they want to place a call to someone  Now how do they do it?

56 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Thank you for your patience but allow me one more question......ignore my phone in this equation.  Scenario:  An ATT user in ON SHORE with no wi-fi cafe near by.  they want to place a call to someone  Now how do they do it?

Only option if you are out of the country and no wifi is to turn your cellular antenna back on (meaning turn off airplane mode) and place a call while roaming.  It will be rather expensive.  

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Only option if you are out of the country and no wifi is to turn your cellular antenna back on (meaning turn off airplane mode) and place a call while roaming.  It will be rather expensive.  

AT&T does have a package as my hubby uses for work.  If you use your phone while on shore then it is a flat charge for a 24 hour period starting with the first call.  I think it is $10.99 or something like that.  Note, our cell phones are a business account and that may be different.

2 hours ago, whitsmom said:

AT&T does have a package as my hubby uses for work.  If you use your phone while on shore then it is a flat charge for a 24 hour period starting with the first call.  I think it is $10.99 or something like that.  Note, our cell phones are a business account and that may be different.

Actually that is precisely the package I was alluding too.  My plan right now is to get that as it will only cost me for the three days I need it.  Then will also get a single voom package.  This way we should be covered no matter where the various phones are located.  Probably overkill but piece of mind has no price for my wife.

38 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Actually that is precisely the package I was alluding too.  My plan right now is to get that as it will only cost me for the three days I need it.  Then will also get a single voom package.  This way we should be covered no matter where the various phones are located.  Probably overkill but piece of mind has no price for my wife.

I think your last sentence nails it.  Personally, I think you're wasting your money on the AT&T package if you already have Voom, but then again, you have to sleep at night and if it makes you feel better to "have it in your back pocket," then that makes sense to me.

2 hours ago, jce2 said:

That is why we are doing it on Hubby's phone as we own our own business and he will need to be reachable just in case.  I got VOOM 2-device also, but my 2 Granddaughters will be using it too!  I was under the impression that once the 24-hour period starts, you can use it on the ship also.