Massive flooding in Fort Lauderdale today

I suspect those parked right at the port are probably okay.  Surface water has only to flow a few hundred feet before falling into the port. 

For areas a mile or more away from the water's edge where there can be low lying areas that rely on storm sewers to move water it's another story.  I've often lived within 5 miles of the sea at an elevation of 20 to 25 feet above sea level.  We could get localized flooding because the system of how water flows could get backed up. 

Off site parking lots away from the waters of the ocean or ICW could flood locally but for the parking lots right in the port next to the terminal it would be more difficult for rain water to pool more than a few inches deep before it would simply flow into the terminal basin or ICW.   For offsite parking it could be a matter of how lucky you were to pick a lot that wasn't in a low lying area.

The roads around the airport for example are far enough away from the ICW that the storm drains could clog or not move enough water which probably led to the videos posted. 

20 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

May be quite a few people who parked at Port Everglades coming back to a rude surprise when Liberty returns on Friday.

I agree with you. This was 1 in a 1000 year rainfall. Based on what happened to my neighborhood which is over the causeway from the port, I would say if you didn’t park an F-150 then you are in for a surprise. When I drove over the bridge this morning around 5am the port looked like an extension of the intracoastal.  

30 minutes ago, D Alt said:

So is the port flooded out too?  If people drive there, will they be able to park and get on the ship? 

East Fort Lauderdale is completely flooded. You will have a tough time driving and parking at the port of the conditions don’t improve tomorrow. I hope they do improve because Starbucks has been closed and I need an iced coffee!