Transatlantic cruising

On Royal you don't typically find summer transatlantic cruises.  Most are spring and fall to follow the cruising crowds.  

Since transatlantic cruises are 13 to 16 nights that excludes typical school breaks.

Most working people don't want to commit 2 to 3 weeks of PTO to a single vacation.

As a result you typically find an older crowd who has several weeks of PTO or they are retired.

As said, transatlantic cruises are repositioning cruises that only really happen in early spring and early fall. There aren’t many, if any, during the summer months as that doesn’t make economic sense for the cruise lines to tie up a ship for 2 weeks one way and 2 weeks another during prime cruise season. Yes, there will always be kids on any RC cruise but these have the least. Even having 500 on Symphony is still less than 10% of capacity of an Oasis class ship. On a summer Caribbean cruise it’s easily double that. 

51 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

As said, transatlantic cruises are repositioning cruises that only really happen in early spring and early fall. There aren’t many, if any, during the summer months as that doesn’t make economic sense for the cruise lines to tie up a ship for 2 weeks one way and 2 weeks another during prime cruise season. Yes, there will always be kids on any RC cruise but these have the least. Even having 500 on Symphony is still less than 10% of capacity of an Oasis class ship. On a summer Caribbean cruise it’s easily double that. 

Makes sense, thanks for the insight 

If you are wanting to say away from kids do not worry because they are not packed like a spring or summer break cruise in the Caribbean.  If you are wanting to say away from the old people just make sure it is a regular TA cruise and not one of the Artic Cruises and you will be fine.  if you are worried about your kids don't worry your kids will have more fun with less kids.  I have done several TA cruises while my son was growing up and he loved them.  He has less friends to choose from, but they have more access to the kid's area and quicker access to the wave runners and rock walls.  Growing up my son's favorite cruise was a Panama Canal where there were only 20 kids on the ship.  He had 4 ten-year-old friends and they had full run of the ship.

There were many kids on my September TA, and they had a blast. Many were homeschooled.

Some seniors, some solos, all in all a normal mix--however, the crowd overall is smaller. The ship will have (most likely but not definitely,) a less-than-full sailing, with a healthy mix of ages. 

I am doing a TA next month and our FB group is relatively small, but there is a good number of kids on board.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, Biaggio said:

Same here, just hope business class airfare goes down over the next few months. Now it’s a killer. 

I have been tracking it for months for our august cruise and it is not pretty, we will wait and see. The saving grace its its only one way, we want to spend a few days in rome before and would rather use the money in italy if its going to stay at these prices.