Shh, don't tell the missus!

So Matt just posted about the 60% off second guest June promo, and I checked to see if there were still any JS rooms available for my Bermuda sailing next October on Anthem. There were indeed a few and I saw on the RCI web site that it would only cost about $550 more to upgrade to a J4 (Spa Junior Suite) on deck 7 from our C1 (Deluxe w/Large Balcony) on deck 9. So as we're so fond of saying here:

"YOLO! Book it!"

I spoke with my TA and confirmed the price, and I'm now switched from our old C1 room (9244) to the J4 (room 7238). Still port side, so we can enjoy the view of Manhattan during sail-away from our room and not worry about being in a huge crowd if we don't want to.

Not going to tell the wife about this; I'm figuring I'lll do like another member here recently posted about, and keep it a surprise until we're getting on board and she sees us directed to the Suites access line. Now I have to figure out how to keep my mouth shut for the next 499 days! :64_zipper_mouth:

I already know she's going to love having the spa-style tub to lounge in, not to mention the larger balcony to better appreciate that sail-away view! And we can now enjoy Coastal Kitchen for dinner one (or maybe several) nights. Can anyone comment on the menu / food quality in CK vs. regular dining room menus on Anthem? I re-checked @Matt's live blog from his 7-night trip on Anthem not long ago, but looks like he only did breakfast and lunch there, no dinners.

Our experience of the Coastal Kitchen on the Anthem was very favorable.  Little more upscale from the MDR with nice choices and excellent service.  Harmony of the Seas experience was a little nicer in the Coastal Kitchen.  Very attentive service with nicely prepared entrees and delicious desserts.  Just be sure to get your reservations in early for any dining in the Coastal Kitchen as they tend to fill up fast.

45 minutes ago, SouthernYankee said:

Our experience of the Coastal Kitchen on the Anthem was very favorable.  Little more upscale from the MDR with nice choices and excellent service.  Harmony of the Seas experience was a little nicer in the Coastal Kitchen.  Very attentive service with nicely prepared entrees and delicious desserts.  Just be sure to get your reservations in early for any dining in the Coastal Kitchen as they tend to fill up fast.

Huh, I didn't think reservations would be needed since it's a complimentary dining venue. Makes sense, though, if it's more of a "my time dining" option and doesn't take the place of any traditional dining slot. Thanks for the tip, as well as the feedback about the food / service!

How early is "early"? Should I book via Cruise Planner as soon as it's available, or just a day or two ahead once onboard? Will be hard to keep the surprise if I have to ask my wife what days she wants to eat there, since she's watched a few "guided tour" videos of Anthem on YouTube and now knows it's a suite guests only restaurant. ;)

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

So Matt just posted about the 60% off second guest June promo, and I checked to see if there were still any JS rooms available for my Bermuda sailing next October on Anthem. There were indeed a few and I saw on the RCI web site that it would only cost about $550 more to upgrade to a J4 (Spa Junior Suite) on deck 7 from our C1 (Deluxe w/Large Balcony) on deck 9. So as we're so fond of saying here:

"YOLO! Book it!"

I spoke with my TA and confirmed the price, and I'm now switched from our old C1 room (9244) to the J4 (room 7238). Still port side, so we can enjoy the view of Manhattan during sail-away from our room and not worry about being in a huge crowd if we don't want to.

Not going to tell the wife about this; I'm figuring I'lll do like another member here recently posted about, and keep it a surprise until we're getting on board and she sees us directed to the Suites access line. Now I have to figure out how to keep my mouth shut for the next 499 days! :64_zipper_mouth:

I already know she's going to love having the spa-style tub to lounge in, not to mention the larger balcony to better appreciate that sail-away view! And we can now enjoy Coastal Kitchen for dinner one (or maybe several) nights. Can anyone comment on the menu / food quality in CK vs. regular dining room menus on Anthem? I re-checked @Matt's live blog from his 7-night trip on Anthem not long ago, but looks like he only did breakfast and lunch there, no dinners.

I know it was tough keeping secret our surprise anniversary cruise from my wife for 2 months. I can't imagine a year plus!

9 minutes ago, FManke said:

I know it was tough keeping secret our surprise anniversary cruise from my wife for 2 months. I can't imagine a year plus!

Heh, at least in my case the wife already knows about the cruise (I learned years ago that she HATES having surprise trips sprung on her). I'm pretty sure something like a cabin upgrade won't tick her off any, especially after finding out that it was done in response to a promo that didn't appreciably increase the cost. ;)

Of course, I'm hoping for another promo or two that will lower the cost back down to what I originally booked the balcony room for, or at least give a little more OBC than the $50 I just gave up to do this rebooking.

Congrats on the upgrade! Love the idea.

In my experience, I feel like the appeal and/or benefit of Coastal Kitchen is the service.  It's personalized and very attentive.  Then again, I've always found the MDR to have attentive service too.  It's just that CK is a bit more "intimate".

18 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Heh, at least in my case the wife already knows about the cruise (I learned years ago that she HATES having surprise trips sprung on her). I'm pretty sure something like a cabin upgrade won't tick her off any, especially after finding out that it was done in response to a promo that didn't appreciably increase the cost. ;)

Of course, I'm hoping for another promo or two that will lower the cost back down to what I originally booked the balcony room for, or at least give a little more OBC than the $50 I just gave up to do this rebooking.

True. Keeping the secret of an entire cruise, without sharing any info or details, was a little tough. I guess you might have it a little easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 1:16 PM, JLMoran said:

"YOLO! Book it!"

Plus...double C&A points ?

1 hour ago, RestingBirds said:

Plus...double C&A points ?

That's certainly a nice bonus. +10 C&A points instead of +5 means my wife and I would only need 12 more points to hit Platinum. I'm already considering the 12-night "Southern Caribbean" on Anthem for January, 2020, so I could be Platinum in just one more cruise, even if I take a regular balcony! :3_grin:

A surprise upgrade is one thing, and that is what JLMoran is talking about.  That's fine.  But I'm going to use this opportunity to post here that no woman likes a total surprise trip.  Ever.  There's a lot of stuff that has to be taken care of around the house and office before a trip.  I won't list it all for the uneducated.  But it also includes proper packing.  So don't even think about it.  Ever.

Case in point, I have two friends (one a sister) whose husbands-to-be told them their honeymoons would be surprises.  Why they agreed to this I'll never know.  They both packed for Hawaii.  One went skiing to Colorado and one went to Europe.  OK, both great trips but all the wrong clothes.  Don't. Do. It.

8 hours ago, Christie said:

Coastal Kitchen was the worst experience we had on Anthem. Too slow and stuffy for me, but I have a 2 year old. Loved it on Oasis.  Hope you enjoy it more. 

Was CK better on Oasis because you didn't have the 2-year old at the time? Or because the service was less slow / stuffy? Or another reason?

Just want to try and gauge what expectations I should have traveling as just a married couple without any children in tow. I don't mind slower, more attentive service (as long as it doesn't interfere with a show reservation or the like).

Last year on Anthem we thoroughly enjoyed the CK, we were in a FJS so only had the access for dinner the same as you do. Never found it a problem to book a time that suited us. If I remember correctly we booked once on-board using the booking system on the state room TV either that or the Royal IQ app.