Gratuities are obligatory?

It depends on the itinerary. In some itineraries, the gratuity is charged/prepaid as party of the booking. In others, it's charged daily and can be removed by request at Guest Services. 

Personally, I'm off the opinion that they should not be removed and have conceded that they're the price a cruising as the fee covers both those who directly serve you and many others that provided service to you indirectly. 

We usually pre pay the gratuities but if we get a good room steward we will tip an additional $10 per day. Also, I'm a Schooner person so I hang there ALOT. I bring some $1s and tip as I see fit to the bar staff.  You would be surprised how better the drinks get.

6 hours ago, arebee said:

We usually pre pay the gratuities but if we get a good room steward we will tip an additional $10 per day. Also, I'm a Schooner person so I hang there ALOT. I bring some $1s and tip as I see fit to the bar staff.  You would be surprised how better the drinks get.

I don't drink anymore, but when I did, I liked to tip $10 or more right off the bat. You'd be surprised how well that works. Sometimes, that's all that was needed for the night. I've found this also works especially well at weddings and such with open bars. I've had bartenders look past others in front of me to take my order. Still do it, just with soft drinks now.

To make things simple, there's nothing extra you need to do to properly provide gratuities.  Royal Caribbean will automatically charge you each day of your cruise a gratuity rate that covers the basics.  

We always do the automatic tipping and almost always give our room steward and Head waiter and Ass't waiter a cash gift on the last evening. It has never occurred to us to have our tips removed because they work SO hard for us.

HOWEVER....last year .we were on a Carnival cruise (because of the itinerary). We were at a table for 10 but only 4 of us showed up. Our 2 waiters were the LAZIEST crew we have EVER experienced on any ship and it was pretty much a dining nightmare the whole week. The 1st night, they were attentive of course...but it went all downhill from there. A dirty used butter dish graced our table...we were served COLD coffee....they quit even asking if we wanted coffee(seems they wanted to call it a day!)....the ass't waiter did ALL the serving while the Head guy wrapped silverware for the next day.....we were given a "sigh" if we wanted more of something or heaven forbid, a second dessert.....had to ask for water and drink refills.... seconds of rolls were never offered.....chicken strips were served with no dipping sauces so the asst waiter informed us he had to "go all the way to the kitchen"  like it was a HUGE deal...and even then, it took forever...the list goes on and on. When all the other waiters were creating fun for their guests with singing, dancing, jokes, etc , ours were standing in the corner and didn't even participate in the whole staff entertainment.  They never greeted us friendly on any evening until the last....BUT on the last evening, they were all smiles and couldn't do enough for us! $$$$ in their eyes, I'm sure. We truly felt cheated in many ways! The dining experience makes or breaks a cruise for us. So we gave them quite a surprise....the 4 of us marched down to Guest Services...described to the attendant how our week was in the MDR and she said Yes, we  absolutely needed to remove the tips for these 2 guys. So we did! They reimbursed each stateroom $100! We hope they felt the pain!