Royal Up - help me decide?

Bowen

We've got room 12729 booked on Allure in April. It's a 5 person Boardwalk Balcony on the very end (the only thing further out would be the Aquatheater Suite), so we've got a view of the theater, a view of the boardwalk, and a view of the ocean. We have stayed in a Central Park balcony and we really liked it, so I do like the room we have now. It's also aft, which is nice because it seems like most of the stuff we do is aft.

One of our options for upgrading is a JS. The good thing is that it comes with Coastal Kitchen dinner. I love CK a lot! But it's not all day access, which would certainly tip me over the edge to bid for it, and we do not get access to the suite lounge. Not a huge deal because we are Diamond and have access to that lounge.

The other option is a spacious oceanview with a large balcony (and I'm going to be honest, I think this must be a typo because I don't think the spacious OV rooms come with a balcony). The upside here is more room and having that little nook where the kids have bunk beds. The downside is that it would be at the front of the ship (if I'm right) so loads of walking to get places.

Here's a picture with the minimum bid selected for each.

I'm leaning toward sticking with my room, but I'd love your thoughts, especially if you've done the JS or the SOV before.

Thanks!

Also, is there any reason to keep checking back to see if they let me bid on suites that do give access to CK all day? Or is this going to be the max I'm offered because of my initial room selection?

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 11.06.00 AM.png

It is a possibility because of the type of room you have, these are the only options available. I think it's rare for your RUB to change in offerings. 

Also keep in mind that Oasis class has 3 types of balcony rooms so oceanview does apply in this scenario.

That being said do you want to move to anywhere? The cost will be between $700-850 to get a room anywhere. That's the downside. If it was me I don't think the possibility of dining at CK is worth $850 and a possibility of crappy room location.

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

It is a possibility because of the type of room you have, these are the only options available. I think it's rare for your RUB to change in offerings. 

Also keep in mind that Oasis class has 3 types of balcony rooms so oceanview does apply in this scenario.

That being said do you want to move to anywhere? The cost will be between $700-850 to get a room anywhere. That's the downside. If it was me I don't think the possibility of dining at CK is worth $850 and a possibility of crappy room location.

You're right. We really like the location of the room right now. 

CK will be there next time, I personally would keep the cabin you have now. The idea of CK is always amazing, but sadly sometimes the experience is a bit lacking. A junior suite will have you vying for open times that may not suit you. Depending on how many top tier passengers are enjoying the space, it might not be worth it. Most pins are very sweet but I don't love it when Royal fails to limit the availability and I am stuck at a table I'm not enjoying at a time I wouldn't prefer. That cabin you have is a great cabin, feel good about keeping it!

The ultra spacious ocean view with large balcony is category 1A. If I am not mistaken, there are only 8 of them in total, 6 up on deck 11, port side, forward; and two down on deck seven, one on either side, right next to the rock walls. Take a look and see if you like those locations. If you do, I would absolutely put in a bid for that category. The chances of actually winning one are slim to none but it's far less of a shot in the dark than most other Royal Up opportunities precisely because there are so few of these cabins.

I would not bid on a JS if you're happy with your current cabin. It's far more pot luck and, in my opinion, not worth the additional cost for a bit of extra real estate and a chance at CK.

@Bowen I just placed your cabin number in my search engine and there is a video of the cabin you have booked. I loved the views, ocean view, boardwalk view and finally aqua show without the price of the aqua suites. When kiddo is off on her own and I start booking again, I'm so looking for that cabin. I could sit out there for hours. 

25 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@Bowen I just placed your cabin number in my search engine and there is a video of the cabin you have booked. I loved the views, ocean view, boardwalk view and finally aqua show without the price of the aqua suites. When kiddo is off on her own and I start booking again, I'm so looking for that cabin. I could sit out there for hours. 

It’s really a great cabin and location. I love watching people, feeling like I’m always a part of something, even if I’m just looking on. And it will be nice to watch the aqua show when it happens. It got canceled so many times last month that we never got to see it, the water was just too rough. I think I’m going to stick with it. I might have to not attend one of the silent discos just so I can watch the people dance. 😄

we actually stayed in the ultra spacious balcony BUT at the time (maybe it was oasis before the reamp?) i thought it was just an ocean view — sans balcony. 

these days they have the balconies and like @FionaMG said, they are aft, at the end of the boardwalk, ocean facing. 

the bunks were cool but better suited for kids than the 16+ up set. (not sure how old your kids are)

not sure what the rates are for minimum bid, but given the rarity of these, might be fun to try!

of course, if your heart is set on the cabin you’re in, stay there!! 💚

6 hours ago, Bowen said:

Update: I bid on the spacious OV Balcony. I bid just over the minimum. I'm not expecting anything to come from it, but we do have Boardwalk view balcony rooms in September, so I'll get to see those either way. 

If by any chance you do get it, you must come back and let us know.

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen! 😉

The ultraspacious balconies are about the size of a JS, so plenty of room. Balconies are a really good size. The deck 11 ones are near the fwd elevators (the ultraspacious OV without a balcony are further forward). Bear in mind that you have to walk forward to get from your room to the aft elevators to start with, so being near the fwd elevators would not really add that much to your "commute."