What shows on Spectrum of the Seas?

SJay

I'm cruising on Spectrum of the Seas in March, but still don't know what shows to expect on the ship. I can only see Silk Road listed on the app. How soon are shows usually announced? Any rumours on which broadway musical will be performed. (Hoping for 'We Will Rock You'!) Thanks!

I'm cruising on Spectrum of the Seas in March, but still don't know what shows to expect on the ship. I can only see Silk Road listed on the app. How soon are shows usually announced? Any rumours on which broadway musical will be performed. (Hoping for 'We Will Rock You'!) Thanks!

• SJay changed the title to What shows on Spectrum of the Seas?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/spectrum-of-the-seas/things-to-do

Spectrum has The Effectors, Showgirl and The Silk Road.  The Silk Road is the only show requiring reservations since it is the Two70 venue which is smaller than the main theater where the other two shows are performed on a first come basis.

Spectrum does not offer a broadway musical.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Spectrum has The Effectors, Showgirl and The Silk Road.  The Silk Road is the only show requiring reservations since it is the Two70 venue which is smaller than the main theater where the other two shows are performed on a first come basis.

Seriously?, that's all?! (Appreciate the reply, though!)

I thought Royal Carribean was renowned for Broadway productions

The Silk Road might be interesting, but the other two..! Shocking!

Hi,

Unfortunately there are no broadway shows on ships in our region (Spectrum, Ovation Quantum), just original Royal Caribbean shows.

Below is the link to the entertainment available on Spectrum.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/05/14/royal-caribbean-announces-entertainment-spectrum-of-the-seas

Spectrum is on our bucket list, enjoy your cruise, I know you will have a fabulous time.

13 hours ago, SJay said:

Seriously?, that's all?! (Appreciate the reply, though!)

I thought Royal Carribean was renowned for Broadway productions

The Silk Road might be interesting, but the other two..! Shocking!

Broadway shows have to be licensed and are region restricted.  Royal can't just copy any Broadway show it wants to, it has to pay expensive licensing fees and the folks who own the rights to the show have a say in where Royal is allowed to perform the show.  

It's no different than a theater on land deciding they want to sell their version of a Broadway production.  The company that owns the rights to the production would sue any land based theater that copied their production without permission and they would win.  A land based live theater has to pay expensive licensing fees to offer a Broadway production and the folks who own the rights may not allow it everywhere in the world.   

Lately Royal has shifted away from paying the exorbitant licensing fees and putting that money into developing their own productions.  I enjoy The Effectors and I enjoy Showgirls.  Both of these Royal Caribbean production shows are on Odyssey of the Seas.  Other ships also have Showgirls or a variation of it to suit the theater available on that ship. 

We Will Rock You is not a Broadway show.  It is a West End show.  It is only available on Anthem of the Seas based primarily out of New Jersey with an alternate season some years in the UK.

Liberty of the Seas and Independence of the Seas are the only Freedom class ships that have an actual Broadway production.  Freedom has a medley or variety show with pieces from different Broadway shows.

Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas also have actual Broadway shows.  Wonder of the Seas does not have a Broadway show.  Wonder, like Odyssey and Spectrum, has only Royal Caribbean productions.     

The last three ships built do not offer Broadway shows.  it has become too expensive to license Broadway shows so unless some production offers a break or deal on the show they own the rights to, there will unlikely be additional Broadway shows added anytime soon.   

Nothing has been announced for Icon of the Seas or Utopia of the Seas.  My gut tells me neither of these ships will have Broadway shows but I have nothing but my gut to back up that prediction.  

I think another reason Royal is moving away from the big Broadway/West End shows is b/c the sets are so expensive and difficult to change/remove.  As great as these shows are (or aren’t…), people get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.  As they learned (hard lesson) with Cats, it’s not just a matter of saying, “ok…time for a change”.  With the locally-produced shows, they can design sets that can more easily be changed and therefore, refresh shows more often.  The Broadway shows were a great idea…until they weren’t.  They were big draws…until they no longer were.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I enjoyed "The Effectors" - I think it appeals to the younger generation, but also the special effects using light is really impressive for all.  I think Royal could develop the characters for on-board merchandising and character appearances for the kids on Coca Cay.