How much of this is accurate?

Had this link show up in my Pinterest feed today: Tips for Cruising from a Former Cruise Ship Employee

The first comment about the water made me blink, because I don't recall seeing anyone here comment on the water tasting bad or drying out their skin when they shower. I see how that second one might be the case if the ship is using desalinated ocean water for showers and such, but it seems a stretch when most / all of the salt is pulled out. And I've drunk desalinated ocean water when I went to Club Med in the Turks & Caicos islands over 20 years ago, and found it totally fine (basically a good mineral water).

I'm also curious about the comment on the food all being previously frozen. Seems a stretch here, too, at least as far as the flavor and such given everyone's near-constant raves about the food on Royal's MDRs and specialty restaurants. I could see that maybe being something the crew has to deal with, as they save the "good stuff" for the passengers, but it still strikes me as odd.

Finally, the comment about still bringing something warmer to wear outside on the sea days. This also seems dubious to me when you're sailing in the Caribbean out of Florida and the temperature is always in the 80s, but that's why I'm asking you experienced cruisers for confirmation. :)

The article's publication date is from 2010; I'm guessing that while it may have been more accurate back then, improvements in cruise ship tech have made those comments about the water and food less so in recent years. And while it's not said, I think that maybe the author was on a Mediterranean line; is it possible the ship she worked on simply wasn't as up to date as more modern ships or ones that have been refurbished, and she's overgeneralizing?

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Had this link show up in my Pinterest feed today: Tips for Cruising from a Former Cruise Ship Employee

The first comment about the water made me blink, because I don't recall seeing anyone here comment on the water tasting bad or drying out their skin when they shower. I see how that second one might be the case if the ship is using desalinated ocean water for showers and such, but it seems a stretch when most / all of the salt is pulled out. And I've drunk desalinated ocean water when I went to Club Med in the Turks & Caicos islands over 20 years ago, and found it totally fine (basically a good mineral water).

I'm also curious about the comment on the food all being previously frozen. Seems a stretch here, too, at least as far as the flavor and such given everyone's near-constant raves about the food on Royal's MDRs and specialty restaurants. I could see that maybe being something the crew has to deal with, as they save the "good stuff" for the passengers, but it still strikes me as odd.

Finally, the comment about still bringing something warmer to wear outside on the sea days. This also seems dubious to me when you're sailing in the Caribbean out of Florida and the temperature is always in the 80s, but that's why I'm asking you experienced cruisers for confirmation. :)

The article's publication date is from 2010; I'm guessing that while it may have been more accurate back then, improvements in cruise ship tech have made those comments about the water and food less so in recent years. And while it's not said, I think that maybe the author was on a Mediterranean line; is it possible the ship she worked on simply wasn't as up to date as more modern ships or ones that have been refurbished, and she's overgeneralizing?

JL,

My take on this is that the article was based on Med. cruises and is outdated. Furthermore, here is the authors biography: http://www.veronicapamoukaghlian.com/bio/. No where in the bio does she indicate she was a cruise ship employee. Her quote  "I am a versatile writer and translator capable of delivering engaging, well-researched texts in impeccable English and Spanish." leads me to think she was on a cruise and talked to some of the employees and based on their comments, she published her article. If for no other reason, just to get her name in the "press". 

Nope, no credibility as far as I'm concerned from many cruises on RCI.

Here's a good documentary on Cruise ship food: 

Some does arrive frozen like the lobster tails and I wouldn't be surprised if hamburger patties and the like are frozen, too. However, based on what has been reported in this thread, I think the facts may be off. 

26 minutes ago, DocLC said:

Here's a good documentary on Cruise ship food: 

Some does arrive frozen like the lobster tails and I wouldn't be surprised if hamburger patties and the like are frozen, too. However, based on what has been reported in this thread, I think the facts may be off. 

Usually articles such as this are written to expose the wrongs or dirty side of an industry. Usually they are written from someone who has an axe to grind about something, and should always to taken with a grain of salt.

As someone who has worked in the food and hospitality field for over 30yrs, if you think that cruises are expensive now, they would be even more expensive, if everything came in fresh. Some items just make sense to bring in frozen for quality sake. It's better in a lot of cases to thaw out a frozen product and use it immediately, than use something that has been sitting around in a cooler for days.

I challenge you to find a restaurant in the world, without a freezer. Even the fine dining restaurants. My guess is that they would have a freezer, before they had a microwave.

Just now, DocLC said:

@fmanke In N Out - no freezers and no microwaves. ;)

I believe most sushi grade fish comes frozen for safety reasons. Read this somewhere, but I can't remember where. 

They are an exception and I commend them for that.

A lot of sushi grade fish does come in frozen. You have to think of where most of the fish is caught and then where it is served. Fish is caught and in most cases, travels half way around the world. Freezing it helps ensure, the quality and food safety. There are still a lot of fresh fish available, you just pay a lot more for it.

5 hours ago, fmanke said:

They are an exception and I commend them for that.

A lot of sushi grade fish does come in frozen. You have to think of where most of the fish is caught and then where it is served. Fish is caught and in most cases, travels half way around the world. Freezing it helps ensure, the quality and food safety. There are still a lot of fresh fish available, you just pay a lot more for it.

This is a burger joint in the west that essentially has a very limited menu.  I was just joking with you.

Up to now I've only cruised in Europe and only with an European (German) cruise line - her first 3 points in this list are either completely outdated or made up bs. Anybody else get a feeling this is more on terms of "how can the cruise line make more money"? 1) buying water for drinking, washing your face & hair -  $$$ for the company 2) eating in port means you won't be having lunch on ship - $$$ for the company 3) buy your excursions on ship - $$$ for the company.

Tbh I'm definetely guilty of giving the company money on 2) and 3) - on most port days we skip lunch to have more time for sightseeing etc. and we usually buy our excursions with the company because it's so convenient - but if there's no fitting excursion or they're waaaaay overpriced I'll book 3rd party or organize it myself. The way the article is worded makes you think neither the ship's food nor 3rd party excursions are viable options to consider.

2 hours ago, DocLC said:

This is a burger joint in the west that essentially has a very limited menu.  I was just joking with you.

I know who they are, and I didn't take offense by what you said. I mean it when I say, I commend them. That's quite an accomplishment for any restaurant, especially a quick service one.

Personally I've never been overly impressed with food on RC. It's the only line I've sailed and just finished one on Oasis last week. It was our 7th. The food in the specialty restaurants is better. I try to avoid the MDR.  Ate there twice last week for dinner and it was very average. Had breakfast once in MDR and it was the best on the trip followed by Johnny Rockets.  We prefer cooked to order breakfast. I don't expect great food because when trying to feed 6700 people, there is no way to serve excellent food. Just my opinion. 

As as far as the water, we drank bottled almost exclusively except for one night when we forgot to bring bottled water back tot the cabin. Took my supplements with the tap water and it tasted fine......and I am picky about my water! 

Definately pack one item that is long sleeve. The second morning on our way to St Thomas, we encountered some showers and clouds and froze our butts off for a few hours that morning.  The wind was intense and cold. We sailed through it and then we were stripping off the long sleeves. This past Saturday we sailed through a cold front on our way back to Cape Canaveral.  The day before we were sweating to death with high temps and no wind.  Saturday morning was again cloudy, rainy and windy as heck. Once through the front, the sun came out but the temps were much lower and it stayed windy all day. 

3 minutes ago, Christie said:

When I did the all access tour, I was expecting to see most heat and serve food and was shocked to see how much was made from scratch. 

Me too, especially all the baked products!