On Board Credit

Looking for some info on OBC.  What is you expectation (if any) for receiving on board credit when you book your next cruise? Do you always get some OBC when you book your next cruise, or is driven by specific factors like length of cruise, room category, in-season vs. off-season? Do some Travel Agencies offer more than others when it comes to OBC? 

On a loosely related note, if you are moving up a C&A level on your next cruise (say it's in 2023), should you wait to book one for 2024 after that until after the 2023 cruise concludes to gain any additional benefits?

Thanks for any information you might be willing to share 🙂

We received OBC and reduced deposit when we booked with Next Cruise, but the fare was whatever happened to be available that day.

Our TA gives us OBC when we book with her, so lately we haven't been too excited about Next Cruise if our future schedule is undetermined.

I wouldn't wait to book a future cruise if you know you want it.  We book 2 years out because we get the best prices that way.  We prefer refundable deposit, but some folks choose non-refundable deposit.

If you have a TA, you can book with Next Cruise and transfer the booking to your agent.

I can't answer the OBC question, but we've found the best prices by booking early regardless of status.  As long as you haven't made final payment, you can reprice the cruise with any Crown and Anchor discount down the road.

We try to book cruises we know we want as soon as the itineraries come out.  Our October '23 Italy cruise was booked as soon as it came out when we were Platinum (maybe early Emerald).  We are Diamond now, but the total price of the cruise (with Diamond balcony discount) has never been lower than when we booked originally.

Our agent repriced our next cruise when I thought there would never be any savings possible, so we're good there.  Totally agree on booking early, that's why we are looking at 2024 now. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most for my money when booking a cruise, even this far in advance. 

2 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

On a loosely related note, if you are moving up a C&A level on your next cruise (say it's in 2023), should you wait to book one for 2024 after that until after the 2023 cruise concludes to gain any additional benefits?

We usually book our next cruise because our cruise low level light has been on too long.  

21 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Looking for some info on OBC.  What is you expectation (if any) for receiving on board credit when you book your next cruise? Do you always get some OBC when you book your next cruise, or is driven by specific factors like length of cruise, room category, in-season vs. off-season? Do some Travel Agencies offer more than others when it comes to OBC?

An OBC offering seems to be a pretty standard perk of booking with Next Cruise but the amount is kinda meh unless you're in a suite for 7+ nights. I think it ranges from $50 - $600 with that lovely larger number being for people in grand suite or higher on a 14+ day sailing. When we've done it, GS for 7 - 8 nights, we get $300 for the room.

Travel Agentss and OBC - this is a fun conversation on the boards and so far I have to agree. Basically the consensus is that those TAs that offer OBC are great for their add-ons but may not be as proactive, responsive or helpful as those that do not. Booking with a TA is a not a guarantee for OBC and good TAs that will reprice, organize flights, handle fires etc usually don't offer any perks unless/until you've proven to be a loyal/repeat customer.

That said, we use a TA with the agency "Cruises N' More" and get about 10% of a our subtotal cruise fare as OBC, a specialty dining voucher and a spa voucher. I like these perks and our TA is responsive and kind and will reprice if I present her with the information

10 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

That said, we use a TA with the agency "Cruises N' More" and get about 10% of a our subtotal cruise fare as OBC, a specialty dining voucher and a spa voucher. I like these perks and our TA is responsive and kind and will reprice if I present her with the information

Very helpful info, thank you for sharing.

Our next cruise is in June and I worry that cabin selection ( even for an April 2024 booking) will reduce in the six months if I wait to book through next cruise. 

I don’t want to have to “negotiate” my cruise or the perks that may come with it, but I do want to not get the best deal when spending +$5k on an vacation. I do think my agent is great (MEI) and will likely save me more in price rebooking than I’d get in an OBC so may be we should just book it and accept what ever the deal is…

The first cruise I booked I think I received $50 OBC with no travel agent. The next cruise with a travel agent it will be $75 OBC.  While waiting to book on NEXT CRUISE onboard might not always be a good idea since you can miss sales and early discounts you WILL get more OBC. So I think I will be taking that approach moving forward.