D+ Buy one specialty, get one 50% off

Jill

The Diamond plus benifit for Specialty resturants is a BOGO (buy one get one) so 2 people eat for half price each.

It must be purchased on board in the first 2 days of the sailing, and although they don't "jack" up the price you pay the full price plus 18% gratuity.

Right now diner in chops on most Oasis class ships is at $64.99 + 11.70 grat = $76.70

Other restaurants can be cheaper

It is a deal but since the restart specialty dining has been in high demand and they have raised prices for everyone including BOGO users.  

If solo it can be used to pay full on board rates for one dinner and then a second dinner on another night is free.  They literally will present a zero bill for the 2nd dinner.

If you are a couple presumably you are both D+ so you can use it like a solo person would and get two nights of specialty dining or you can pay for one and the second person is the BOGO at that one dinner.  

Some ships are very strict about the rule it must be purchased and used on nights 1 and 2.  Other ships are more flexible as long as it's purchased on nights 1 or 2.  Ask on day one so you know how that ship handles it.  

54 minutes ago, Last Lion said:

Can the BOGO be used for the lunch Taste of Royal and the Chops lunch?

I'm going to say no and wait for someone to post they did it 🙂 

Most ships tend to have restrictions on the BOGO.  Izumi is often blocked for example.  

Some ships seem to be more flexible so YMMV.  It never hurts to ask.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 5:50 PM, twangster said:

If solo it can be used to pay full on board rates for one dinner and then a second dinner on another night is free.  They literally will present a zero bill for the 2nd dinner.

Thanks for saying this. I'm going on my first solo cruise soon and I was believing/hoping that this was the case. It seems a good strategy would be to choose the cheaper dinner on the first night. 🙂

22 hours ago, Marc said:

Thanks for saying this. I'm going on my first solo cruise soon and I was believing/hoping that this was the case. It seems a good strategy would be to choose the cheaper dinner on the first night. 🙂

Nope -  they usually have me book the 2nd dinner first night I use the BOGO (nite 1 or 2) if I go to a cheaper restaurant and book a more expensive one for the 2nd use, even if they let me do it later in the cruise, they have always charged for the more expensive one the first night. 

Nice try though, you might get to pull one over on a more inexperienced host, have neve tried booking the 2nd night later then changing it before i use it, that could possibley work or backfire completely and you end up paying for 2 dinners at full price.

20 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Nope -  they usually have me book the 2nd dinner first night I use the BOGO (nite 1 or 2) if I go to a cheaper restaurant and book a more expensive one for the 2nd use, even if they let me do it later in the cruise, they have always charged for the more expensive one the first night. 

Nice try though, you might get to pull one over on a more inexperienced host, have neve tried booking the 2nd night later then changing it before i use it, that could possibley work or backfire completely and you end up paying for 2 dinners at full price.

Well, that aligns with the regular implementations of BOGO. I just didn't expect them to have it together enough to figure out how to deal with it considering it's a different process from typical.

5 hours ago, Marc said:

Would it make sense to book the likely-more-expensive one (Chops) in the Cruise Planner to get the discounted price offered there and then ask them to grant me the second-half of the BOGO in another restaurant?

The price of Chops in the planner is usually what they are selling onboard the first night, at least that was my experience. Unless you are talking Chops lunch, that is a good deal in CP. 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, Marc said:

Would it make sense to book the likely-more-expensive one (Chops) in the Cruise Planner to get the discounted price offered there and then ask them to grant me the second-half of the BOGO in another restaurant?

When you do that, it gives you the ability to lock in a time, but when you use the BOGO they will refund the original price to your onboard account as a refundable credit.  They then charge you the onboard price and use you BOGO 

Then some ships my do it differently

I am doing a B2B on Grandeur in a couple of weeks. On the first cruise I cross the vaunted Diamond/Diamond Plus line so D+ on the second cruise.

I will coordinate this with the Loyalty Ambassador whilst on the first cruise to ensure it takes effect.

Since I am “onboard” nine days before the second cruise, will I be able to book the BOGO meal offer well ahead of everyone else? Or at least on the departure morning before boarding?

2 hours ago, Last Lion said:

I am doing a B2B on Grandeur in a couple of weeks. On the first cruise I cross the vaunted Diamond/Diamond Plus line so D+ on the second cruise.

I will coordinate this with the Loyalty Ambassador whilst on the first cruise to ensure it takes effect.

Since I am “onboard” nine days before the second cruise, will I be able to book the BOGO meal offer well ahead of everyone else? Or at least on the departure morning before boarding?

I was just on Grandeur, and they allow D members to use the BOGO offer. However, since each reservation is treated as such, you will not be able to book any onboard offers until you start the second. As a B2B you will be the first back onboard so you will be able to book any dining as soon as the specialty restaurants open or DL concierge is available.