Bringing Wheelchair/walker Onboard

PG Cruiser

Indy's Guest Services informed me that they don't provide wheelchairs for use onboard, only wheelchair assistance during embarkation and debarkation.  What is the process for bringing our own wheelchair or walker onboard?  Can it be checked or do we have to carry it on?  Is it an easy process?  I cruise solo mostly, but this time I'm sailing with three 80+ people.

Having traveled with a special needs child in a wheelchair, I would suggest you use it and bring it through carry on.  We have had issues with adjustments getting out of whack due to handling (not specifically cruise ships).  Plus, the wait for a wheelchair at embarkation can get long if there are several people needing this at once.  If you have your own device handy, it will lessen the wait for your octogenarians. 

Generally speaking, the process getting a chair through security can actually be faster because they will just wand the person in their chair and they use a separate line.

1 hour ago, TessOR said:

Having traveled with a special needs child in a wheelchair, I would suggest you use it and bring it through carry on.  We have had issues with adjustments getting out of whack due to handling (not specifically cruise ships).  Plus, the wait for a wheelchair at embarkation can get long if there are several people needing this at once.  If you have your own device handy, it will lessen the wait for your octogenarians. 

Generally speaking, the process getting a chair through security can actually be faster because they will just wand the person in their chair and they use a separate line.

We still want to use wheelchair assistance.  We’re only bringing one wheelchair/walker and our three octogenarians will take turns using it.  If they all get tired of walking at the same time… well, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Lol

PG, we take a walker on all of our trips as well as a motorized scooter.  Easiest solution is to just have one of them in it during the embarkation and/or use it to carry whatever your older folks might need (think carryon luggage).  As an alternative, there are also companies that you can rent from there at the port usually (at least for the motorized versions).  We used "scootaround" when we went to Alaska and couldn't be more pleased with the convenience.  

I have a rollator which is a walker with wheels complete with a built in chair.  I used my rollator for the embarkation on our recent cruise. I also used it often during the cruise. .  I didn't expect preferred treatment but the staff at Royal Caribbean were very cognizant that I might need some assistance. 

I would say the cruise guests were very respectful too.  I had to decline elevators when offered because it was just as easy for me to wait for the next one.  It was my first experience with taking a rollator on a cruise.  The rollator got in the way sometimes because I didn't need it all the time.

The last time I was on a cruise, I didn't have a rollator.  A man came up to me when he saw me walking on the running track.  He somehow knew I was having back pain and said I wouldn't be able to walk that off.  He said that he had something for me that might help.  He went back to his stateroom and brought me some of the chemically activated heat packs.  I didn't mind too much that he put a hand on my shoulder and said a prayer.  It made me realize that I needed the help and a rollator was an excellent solution.

People were generally too kind and considerate but there is nothing wrong with that.

12 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

A man came up to me when he saw walking on the running track.  He somehow knew I was having back pain and said I wouldn’t be able to walk that off.  He said that he had something for me that might help.  He went back to his stateroom and brought me some of the chemically activated heat packs.  I didn't mind too much that he put a hand on my shoulder and said a prayer. 

What a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing it.  I guess there are still caring and compassionate people out there.  I hope God blessed him as he asked for God’s blessing for you.