To UPD or not to UPD, that is the question…

Adriana

Hiya! There are often plenty of thoughts and blogs about the beverage packages, how about your thoughts on the UDP? Is it needed? Absolutely not, in my opinion, there is plenty of really good free food and many options for different tastes and dietary needs. Buuut, do you want it? Have you enjoyed it? Regretted doing it or not doing? Prefer the food or atmosphere? I have never gone to one of the specialty restaurants, but for my upcoming cruise, I am solo and doing the UDP. I will still try out the Windjammer and order from MDR (creme brûlée and cheese plate) for sure. What are your UDP thoughts or experiences? 

I like it because it just opens you up to more variety, especially on the Oasis and Quantum class ships.  When you cruise often, variety is good. I especially like it on ships that have Playmakers because it's always good to be able to get a snack other than pizza!

What I don't like about it is that sitting down at specialty restaurants tends to take a lot more time. The pace is a lot slower and it consumes a lot of time. They will accommodate if you want to move things along quicker if you let them know. I have way more luck with that when I'm traveling solo.

1 hour ago, Adriana said:

@AshleyDillo, thanks! That is good info to know about the pace. I had assumed that it was about the same as MDR. 

It's a bit slower as a lot of the food options are more cooked to order than in the MDR.  They still do it the same way as the MDR; if you order several appetizers you get them one at a time unless they're specifically ordered to share.

I agree with @AshleyDillobeing a person who often travels solo that the pacing is the worst part. 

I think whether or not to get the UDP depends on 3 major factors for me. The number of restaurants available on the ship (including if there is an El Loco Fresh), price and lastly whom I am traveling with. A more expensive UDP works if I am traveling with others but not so much as a solo. I find most of the food in the MDR to be meh and don't care for anything but breakfast in the WJ. Plus, I often do more than one cruise since I have to fly, so most of the complementary food becomes redundant. 

I have had it on 3 cruises and didn't regret it at all. I love the fact that the food is cooked to order. I'm not a fan of the banquet style food in the MDR. Let me preface this with I have been a catering manager and worked in hotels, so know what can sit in a cooler box or heat box and the quality not be impacted. However, I don't want something that been under a cloche for who knows how long. The food is prepared for the masses and as a result I the quality lacking. Not a fan of the windjammer either for similar reasons. My dietary needs require me to eat smaller meals more frequently than what is available in the MDR. I like that we can go to more than one specialty restaurant a day. Some ships have more options that others, but we are usually on a ship with a Johnny Rockets or a Playmakers that gives us an option for a small meal in the afternoon. I will go to the Windjammer for a quick fruit and cheese snack, but that's really it. I prefer the restaurant setting for main meals rather than the dining room as well. I like the more personalized service we usually get in a specialty. 

My last summer cruise (6 nights), I went with my siblings.  Now, I am totally happy with the Windjammer and MDR.  I can usually find something I would like.  But my siblings are food snobs. They talked about getting UDP.  Instead, I talked them into getting the 3 restaurant package plus Chef's Table.  We also did Chops Grille for lunch ($25 instead of $55) and Izumi - Sushi for lunch.  On the 2 formal nights, we were in the MDR.  It should be noted that Chef's Table is not part of the UDP.  

Conclusion: 150 Central Park, Giovanni's Table, and Samba Grill were paid for with UDP.  Chops and Izumi we paid the lunch price.  Overall - we paid less money than what we would have paid for the UDP.  So it pays to shop and price your options.