I have heard that in some Mexico Resorts they require that people are using only "biodegradable" sunscreen.  I am wondering if some of you would mind recommending some different brands for us to pick up before our Cruise in April.  We are traveling with two children and they normally use Babyganics, and we use Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30/50.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or should we just use our normal sunscreen?  Heading to Maya Chan Beach for our Costa Maya excursion.  

I have heard that in some Mexico Resorts they require that people are using only "biodegradable" sunscreen.  I am wondering if some of you would mind recommending some different brands for us to pick up before our Cruise in April.  We are traveling with two children and they normally use Babyganics, and we use Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30/50.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or should we just use our normal sunscreen?  Heading to Maya Chan Beach for our Costa Maya excursion.  

from the lack of responses, I assume most of you just use a regular Sunscreen?

Never heard of this anywhere I have travelled in the Caribbean...but I have never stayed at a resort in Mexico yet.

I would think this would be very hard to monitor and enforce...not to mention a huge inconvenience and cost to most travelers.

Won't be anything I will be worrying about on my travels......

They recommend it due to the damage sunscreen does to the reefs and wildlife. If you're going to go snorkeling or swimming please keep the fragile nature of the ecosystems in mind. When we were in Akumal last year they ask that you use reef safe sunscreen as they have a lovely reef and a number of turtles living just off the beach. Also any cenotes, dolphin swims or X parks should/will ask the same thing. Badger is the brand we heard recommended most often. Amazon have a great range though. The other option is if you're doing a trip early in the day don't wear any and use a rash vest while swimming. You can pop lotion on afterwards if you're not in the water again (obviously pools are the exception to the reef safe rule). Hope that helps. :-) Have a fabulous vacation!

In the event you don't bring your own, I've seen 'reef safe' sunscreen available in Chedraui and other local markets - the prices are more than reasonable.  I've not checked, but I'd suspect you may be able to find some in OXXO locations in more touristy areas.  OXXO are state run convinient stores - they're clean, take cards, and have great prices on everything they sell.

In the grand scheme of things...the teaspoon of sunscreen I put on isnt even worth talking about.....I have never seen this type of sunscreen in my life nor would I want to pay the price I wouldn't imagine.

And yes, ppl will say will when you think about thousands of ppl each year doing this it would make a difference.......

All the sunscreen in the world is a drop in the bucket for the oceans compared to the pollution that countries, business, and people from other countries cause.

But, I don't swim or snorkel around reefs either...

Some of the places like XelHa, Xcaret, etc. will require biodegradable sunscreen. If you have other sunscreen with you when you enter, they will make you throw it away. We purchased Alba Botanical biodegradable sunscreen before our trip down there. Just make sure that what you purchase has the word "biodegradable" on the package.

Some of the places like XelHa, Xcaret, etc. will require biodegradable sunscreen. If you have other sunscreen with you when you enter, they will make you throw it away. We purchased Alba Botanical biodegradable sunscreen before our trip down there. Just make sure that what you purchase has the word "biodegradable" on the package.

I will concur with this statement, as the wife and i spend two weeks a year in Playa Del Carmen and enjoy Xcaret, Xplor and XeHa parks.  They (Mexicans) are very protective of the eco system and i support their efforts to protect what they have so others can enjoy it as well.  I'm sure if you get caught using unauthorized merchandise you will be asked to leave and not welcomed back.