Can't make MDR at my assigned time on one night -- can I go later without a MTD reservation?

skittermagoo

Hopefully the title isn't vague/confusing.

On my upcoming cruise, we have a day in Costa Maya in which we're in port from noon until 7pm; I've got reservations for Maya Chan for the day, and I don't think we'll be back in time for 5:30 dining. Can we go to MDR late and stand in the non-reservations line for MTD people and still eat in the MDR? Or should we make other arrangements for that night? (If it's Indian night at Windjammer, this question is moot, LOL)

We once had a situation where something onboard we wished to attend conflicted with our late dinner seating. We spoke to our Head Waiter and she was able to get us a spot with our usual Waiter (but not the same Assistant Waiter) at the early seating that evening. Letting them know you would like to be included in walk-up MTD will be greatly appreciated by the staff.

1 hour ago, skittermagoo said:

Hopefully the title isn't vague/confusing.

On my upcoming cruise, we have a day in Costa Maya in which we're in port from noon until 7pm; I've got reservations for Maya Chan for the day, and I don't think we'll be back in time for 5:30 dining. Can we go to MDR late and stand in the non-reservations line for MTD people and still eat in the MDR? Or should we make other arrangements for that night? (If it's Indian night at Windjammer, this question is moot, LOL)

Officially, if you have traditional dining, you are not eligible to use MTD to eat in the MDR at a different time.  Based on the experiences above, it sounds like they will work with you especially if you give them some notice.  You could also use the other free options (Windjammer, Park Cafe, Sorrento's, etc, depending on your ship) or book a later reservation at a specialty restaurant if you're willing to pay.

Just a hunch, but I'm willing to bet that if you know far in advance and you go to the head waiter, they can hook you up with a one night different dining time. Even if it's "Off the Books." They live and die by that rating you give in the post cruise survey and this would seem like an easy way for them to make sure they get that. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but I've seen them bend over backwards for MUCH more unreasonable requests than yours. I think they will be willing to help you out.