Our first RC expercience

cjappert

We just got back from sailing with Royal for the first time. We went from January 7th to the 15th on Freedom of the seas. Overall we really enjoyed it! We had only sailed with Celebrity prior to this trip, so we weren't sure what to expect. We are a family of 5 ( 3 kids ages 9, 4 and 2.)

Boarding: It went really well and was quick. We got to the port around 11:15, and at 11:35 we were enjoying our first drink on the ship. 

Our room : We had a family panoramic room on deck 12. I cannot say enough good things about it, it was amazing! It was just over 400 square feet, with a king size bed, a double fold out bed, bunk beds, 2 bathrooms, and a full wall of floor to ceiling windowns with a view of the front of the ship

Sabor / Chops : both were great, worth the money we spent.

MDR : This was the biggest downer of the entire cruise. We had early seating reservations. We found the service to be terrible, and we were super not impressed with the food. We only went 3 times, after that we decided to just go to windjammer. The first night no one even asked if we wanted drinks, second night we had to ask 3 times to get drinks, and 3rd night we had to ask again to get drinks.. and they finally arrived with our desert. The food itself was fine, but definitely nothing to rave about. overall just very disappointing.

Windjammer: Breakfast was good, but lunch and dinner got repetitive. Again, Meh about the food in general.

Playcares: Our kids LOVED the playcares and wanted to go all the time! They made a tone of friends on the ship and had a fantastic time!

Nursery: Our 2 year old was in the nursery. Again, they ladies there were great. Even tho our son didn't like going ( he's never been to any daycare, so we expected this) they did great at keeping him happy. He went every morning for 3 hours, giving mommy and daddy 3 hours of freedom per day (yay!)

Ship: We really liked everything about the ship. Great size, nice ambiance,  nice pools, good bars and a lot less kids than we expected. No complaints here!

Overall, we had a great cruise. The weather didn't really agree with us ( first 3 days we had 25 foot waves, which means we couldn't stop in Labadee) but those are things no one can control. I think next time we cruise with Royal, we'll book more specialty dining to be able to avoid the MDR all together.

I'm glad you had a good time!  

I've only cruised twice, and both were on Freedom.  

I love the MDR, and have been pleased on both cruises.  On our last cruise in April, despite being pretty much the closest table to the kitchen, we were constantly

getting late service, and were usually among the last to leave.  They knew we weren't too happy, but eventually the head waiter of that section came and apologized

and swore he would personally ensure we would get better service.  Well, he didn't.  Nonetheless, it was not that big of a deal.  I still gave the waitress a tip at the end

of the cruise, as I understand things can go a little sideways with such an operation.  Besides, I was in a dining room on a cruise ship in the Caribbean!!  

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your MDR experience is far from what I have encountered. If service is unsatisfactory, one should speak to the head waiter to get it fixed. Moving tables to different wait staff is usually a common recourse.

I agree. While I haven't had had service in the dining room, except on Carnival, I have experienced a mismatch between my style of dining and that provided by the server. This is another reason I like MTD as it's easy to switch servers if there is a mismatch of to stick with a server you really like.

I had to agree that the one area that seems to be lacking in the MDR is the drink service.  If you don't ask, often they wont ask you is my experience. I always now as soon as I sit down let them know what I want to drink...as it seems it always takes awhile to get it.

Same for dessert drinks or coffee...I always enjoy a baileys/coffee so I ask them when they bring the dessert menu over before they take the dessert order as if I wait till then, chances are  I will be done my dessert before my coffee gets to me.

Live and learn I guess!

But as for the food service and quality in the MDR....yet to have an issue or complaint.

I had to agree that the one area that seems to be lacking in the MDR is the drink service.

I found this to be the case on most cruises, but I got lucky on Adventure last November.  The beverage guy in my section, Manish Yelve, was top notch - took care of me every night, noticed that I had the drink package so waited until the end of the meal to bring me a single receipt to sign, stopped by repeatedly, mentioned other drinks I might be interested in, etc.   It was definitely a pleasant surprise over past experiences where I would have to stop by a bar to pick up a drink on the way into the MDR, just in case the beverage server made himself scarce that evening.

bc if I hadn't seen you on the cruise I would swear we were on different ships ... never saw a drinks person in the MDR once on the whole cruise ;)

Like I said, I got real lucky on this cruise.  I was so happy with the service I took a photo of his name tag on the last night just so I could mention him specifically in the post-cruise survey.  

We'll be on Adventure again in November - I'll be asking to be seated in his section most definately. 

I'm glad to see this is not the norm in the MDR. We did ask if we would change tables and we were told no. Maybe we just got spoiled sailing with Celebrity. Its the only real difference in quality we noticed between the 2. And honestly, when I got home I had LOST 1lbs, so I don't even know if I should be complaining LOL