OK, I have to chime in and throw a vote for those of us whose tastes run less to IPAs and other super-hoppy / bitter beers and more towards unfiltered wheat ales, stouts (just discovered a really good "west coast style" that gives Guinness a run for its money), or a good vanilla porter (never thought there could be a "dessert beer", but there you go ;) ).

I've found some photos and other examples of the pub beer menus here, and for whatever reason these "pubs" all list mixers and cocktails and hardly any beerwhich to me is what a pub is supposed to be all about!

I love me some porters and stouts. I hope you've tried Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, it is amazing. If only they have my New Holland Dragon's Milk Stout, I would be set for the cruise.  :lol:

You make me miss living in San Diego and spending time at Ballast Point.

I was just in San Diego recently and had dinner at Ballast Point one night (it was awesome!) and just happened to be there shortly after "Victory at Sea" day when they had all of their variants out... I'm so sad I live so far away. I love San Diego so much. 

Someone put up the bat-signal?

Yes, I do request certain types of scotch ahead of time.  That in mind, I'm not as confident that this would work as well for beer.

For one, the scotches I request are sometimes (just not usually) found on RCI ships already, and are standard options on Celebrity.  This means there is already a sku somewhere, a known supplier, an ability to simply transfer inventory off another RCI or X ship, etc.  This might be the case with some beers, but certainly not all, in the same way it wouldn't be the same with all whisky.

Next, a bottle or two of whisky is plenty of stock for a week long cruise if just one or two parties is requesting.  In terms of volume, to accomodate a beer request they'd probably need to move much more volume, which could mean greater expense or just additional effort.

That in mind - you may totally get what you want, I just don't want to give the impression that anything you can find at Total Wine is just an email away from being on your cruise, as this is probably quite far from the truth.

BH

It occurred to me that RC does not stock the whiskey Billy likes, so he contacts the F&B director and/or hotel director and arranges each cruise for them to carry it onboard when he sails. Why can't we do the same for craft beer?

So how, pray tell, can we locate the Food and Beverage director for specific ships?  Specifically Rhapsody, April 1 sailing.  I'm recent Facebook friends with the wife of the Bev. director for Adventure (she's a star bartender onboard) so I'm all set there, LOL.

I love me some porters and stouts. I hope you've tried Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, it is amazing. If only they have my New Holland Dragon's Milk Stout, I would be set for the cruise.  :lol:

I have tried Breckenridge Vanilla Porter! And it is indeed amazing!

And thank you for posting this, because after I finished off the six-pack I'd bought, I forgot to write down the name of it so I could buy more! By the time I was able to go back to my local store, they'd already stopped carrying it and there went any chance to remember it by way of the label.

I have tried Breckenridge Vanilla Porter! And it is indeed amazing!

And thank you for posting this, because after I finished off the six-pack I'd bought, I forgot to write down the name of it so I could buy more! By the time I was able to go back to my local store, they'd already stopped carrying it and there went any chance to remember it by way of the label.

Ofcourse! And if you enjoy similar types of beer, I do suggest Belching Beaver's Viva La Beaver. It's a Mexican chocolate milk stout. It's like an adult version of chocolate milk, and who doesn't enjoy a nice cold glass of choccy milk? lol.

Instead of an 80s cruise, or a biker cruise, we should have a craft beer cruise, featuring the best offerings of craft breweries from across the country!!!

Bring on your hoppy, your dark, your sours and your barrel-aged!!!

B)

Hello

Will be first time RC cruiser next year because I want to sail on one of the world's largest cruise ships as a bucket list item.

Anyway, I found this thread when searching for: Royal Caribbean Craft Beer

The craft beer situation didn't sound promising on RC but I also found this link:

https://www.glacier-design.com/royal-caribbean-sails-into-beer-sales/
and was wondering if the article is true, RC is now a better craft beer destination that it was in Jan 2017 (date of this thread).

Thanks

Dan

46 minutes ago, CVO 7 Million Miles said:

Hello

Will be first time RC cruiser next year because I want to sail on one of the world's largest cruise ships as a bucket list item.

The craft beer situation didn't sound promising on RC but I also found this link:

and was wondering if the article is true, RC is now a better craft beer destination that it was in Jan 2017 (date of this thread).

Thanks

Dan

Welcome to the message boards!

The article doesn't give the year it was written but references 22 ships in the fleet, so that dates it to back a couple years ago,  possibly before this thread.

Today Royal does have a small collection of craft beers but it varies by ship.  Trying to maintain a consistent beer selection across 26 ships around the world has it's challenges.

Bottom line, here is a typical list of beers on a Royal ship. 

HwBVeiD.jpg

Not all bars stock all beers.  When a ship has a pub that tends to be the best beer bar on the ship.

12 hours ago, CVO 7 Million Miles said:

Hello

Thanks

Dan

I'm a bit of a craft beer snob, and I can assure you I simply didn't drink any beer on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. Wasn't worth the calories for the mediocrity of the selection.

As a couple others have said.... RC 'craft' beer, is really non-existent... Basically your commercialized main stream 'craft' beer you can get anywhere nowadays. 

BUT..... likewise, I love to try new and different crafts.... so I make it a point to find local brews at all ports of call. 

I have found some interesting brews at Pirate republic brewing in Nassau, and some good brews in St. Martin as well. (cant remember the name right now) 

Just Google search or try trip adviser for some recommendations at your ports of call. 

~Cheers!

I can give the credit, the craft beer selection has gotten significantly better in recent years - especially in venues such as Playmakers. Stone IPA I've also noticed is pretty consistently available. Is the selection still great? No, but they're trying. 

Living in Colorado the craft beer market is wide and deep with too much variety to try them all. 

They could never try to carry that sort of selection on a ship.  

By definition craft beers come from small microbreweries producing small batches in contrast to the big name large scale breweries.  Few microbreweries can produce the volume of beer to fill 26 ships week after week around the world on a consistent basis.  Even some of the larger local microbreweries here struggle to keep their popular products available week after week.  Some craft beers just aren't my thing, it's like they got stoned and threw a bunch of stuff together that has no business being in a beer.  That sort of weirdness isn't going to work well on a cruise ship, only the more popular crafts would and they can't keep them on their own shelves let alone supply a mass market.  

16 hours ago, twangster said:

By definition craft beers come from small microbreweries producing small batches in contrast to the big name large scale breweries.  Few microbreweries can produce the volume of beer to fill 26 ships week after week around the world on a consistent basis. 

This is a good point - I think what people here would really be looking for would be more of the 'macrobrewery' non-lager styles (IPAs, Amber Ales, Porters, etc.) from independent macrobreweries such as Stone or Founders. That said, with Anheuser-Bush rapidly buying up some of the larger popular breweries it'll be easier to distribute small amounts of those non-lager/pilsner styles to ships. I don't ever anticipate this being in large amounts (to the point that you made) but I wouldn't be surprised if a greater variety of styles of beer would be available in certain spaces on some ships such as Playmakers or the Pub (as they're starting to do a little of). I think even having a few kegs on hand of one or two of those styles would go a long way, but again I guess that goes to how many people would actually be purchasing those drinks.