Fuel surcharge

Read an interesting article about adding a surcharge for fuel due to high fuel prices:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/8c40c98a-bc56-33e0-9451-fb6c68ac8310/royal-caribbean-carnival-.html

Article doesn't show what the fee is for RC and the contract doesn't.  Has any one had a fuel surcharge applied recently or previously? Can RC add a fee to a cruise that is fully paid for and also under 30 days?

I saw this also. I wouldn't put it past RC to somehow add this even though I am paid in full for our May 2022 Alaska cruise. Also, is this going to be a per passenger charge? Just another way to milk customer for more money. If things don't get better soon, I may have to reassess my future cruises. 

I have a May 2022 Alaska cruise booked.  I may be wrong but I'd bet that the cruise industry, especially the larger ones like RCCL play the FUTURES game.  I'd bet that the fuel that will be used on this May cruise has already been bought and paid for months ago.  If there is a "Fuel Surcharge/Supplement", it is for the purpose of making more money than they already make. I'm all for capitalism but I'm all for fair capitalism.  

Now, my November 2022 Caribbean cruise my be effected by this.  We'll see.   

1 hour ago, steverk said:

I think all the cruise lines would be reluctant to implement a charge on fully paid travelers.  IMO it will have a better look to raise prices on new bookings instead. 

I'd suggest booking anything you might take now before they implement this.

While I hope this would be the standard, with the crazy rise in oil right now, I'm waiting for the hammer to fall on all passengers (fully paid as well as those still paying) These are new times we are living with.

To me? this may possibly change how many cruises I now do in the future. We are being nickel and dimed to death (wish it was nickels and dimes vs dollars 🤣) Pretty soon, cruising may not be a viable option (IMHO of course)

11 hours ago, peytonhead said:

Read an interesting article about adding a surcharge for fuel due to high fuel prices:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/8c40c98a-bc56-33e0-9451-fb6c68ac8310/royal-caribbean-carnival-.html

Article doesn't show what the fee is for RC and the contract doesn't.  Has any one had a fuel surcharge applied recently or previously? Can RC add a fee to a cruise that is fully paid for and also under 30 days?

I think this article is just click bait to get the ad revenue, sure the cruise lines could add a fee for fuel (airlines could as well), but I suspect it would be a last resort since some number of people would just cancel or use their cancel for any reason travel insurance to get out of the cruise.  The article even says that none of the cruise lines have added a surcharge or have said that they would.  Most of the data that was referenced pertained to earnings calls and in those  they are focused on keeping the shareholders happy and to not have share prices fall if people are nervous.  

while no one can predict the future, I’m not too worried about Royal adding a surcharge in the near term.

Like the shareholders calls and financial statements, these comments contain forward looking statements and can change at any time 🙂

It seems to me that good business relations sense would be to avoid a ‘fuel surcharge’ and just raise prices on future cruises that have yet to be booked. The cruise lines hedge their fuel expenses by pre-purchasing so they know when the fuel price hikes will hit their bottom line. Instead of adding a surcharge of approximately $10 a day…just raise a future 7 night total cruise price by $70…or $140 double occupancy.
I’m sure they’re looking at the effect of a higher booking price versus the attractiveness of a lower price…and then slapping on a fuel charge either at checkout or onboard. I still think those cruises already booked, even with just a deposit, should stand at the agreed upon price. I know they can apply a surcharge at any time but the question is should they. What’s best for customer and brand relations. But…I think if one line does it…they all will.

This reminds me somewhat of Las Vegas. We used to go all the time and then "resort fees" then charging you to park in the hotel that you are staying in, etc.. It got so unaffordable with all their "fees" that we stopped going. What was stated above is correct. As soon as one line does it, the rest will follow. I see them pushing the boundaries. 

The question is? How much is to much before people started bailing on cruising. I hope cruise lines consider how they go about charging even more "fees" If they aren't careful, I could see where people find it no longer a choice and decide to do something else.

I just watched a video on this that made common sense.  The cruise industry is trying to get people back to cruising so they will most likely not be adding the fuel supplement.  They will most likely be increasing the price for new bookings but a couple of hundred dollars.  By doing this people are not upset about being charged an additional amount and they will just say the price is going up because more people are cruising.  I know all of my booked cruises have gone up a couple hundred dollars in the last month.

3 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

I just watched a video on this that made common sense.  The cruise industry is trying to get people back to cruising so they will most likely not be adding the fuel supplement.  They will most likely be increasing the price for new bookings but a couple of hundred dollars.  By doing this people are not upset about being charged an additional amount and they will just say the price is going up because more people are cruising.  I know all of my booked cruises have gone up a couple hundred dollars in the last month.

I agree. They can increase the price for reservations not yet booked, but keep the lower price for those already booked on the same sailing. No need for a 'surcharge'. There is a demand for cruising now...after the last two years. If some people decide not to cruise because they see the price as too high...there are probably others who will take their place.