Best tips to share with new cruiser

Teri

I'm taking my 2nd cruise in July on Navigator of the Seas. I'm looking for tips and things you could share that new cruisers might not know. Learned from his site that you can bring bottles of wine on board. Also l know to board as soon as you can and go have lunch. Thanks for any tips.

You can bring, in a carry on bag, one bottle of wine per adult.  and drink in your cabin etc, if you bring it to dinner they can charge you a corkage fee

tips:  the compass is your friend on the ship like Matt said, tour the ship on embarkation day - and look at spa options that day if you like them - they often have the best spa offers embarkation date - Right on lunch (they also only have certain foods this day in Windjammer, they don't have other days)   - room service is great for snacks while relaxing in the afternoon - order breakfast in your room etc - get to know your room steward -have fun

• 1 month later...

NO smoking except in designated areas and NEVER on your balcony if you have one.

Bring your own blow dryer---the one in your room is "useless".

Don't go crazy during the evening sales for watches and tee shirts and such.  The prices are not that great a deal.  The tees are good if you want the RCCL logos and the island tees.

Get your lounge chairs early but don't "hog" because your saving towel will be removed after an hour or so.

AND treat your room attendant with respect.  You and your room depend on their being respected.  You would be surprised how many people forget this fact.

My tip is after you pack everthing you think you need , go back over what you have and take half out.

Organization is key for me . I have all cruise doc is one packet, when traveling with kids I take a over the door shoe hold to hold all the little things that clog up the counters. 

Packing cubes are my friend , I can just stack them , and easly get what I need. 

Don't over think your agenda , rest relax and have fun.

One more ask your attendent for 2 compasses or stop by GS , we love to brose them while in bed, planning for our next day and we don't like to share . If we each have on we can then discuss and plan.

I always recommend that new cruisers use a travel agent.  A travel agent can help you pick the right cruise line, itinerary and cabin.

If your not a local, fly in at least a day early. This is especially important when flying from regional locations where there may not be as many flights per day. 

Cull the many cruise web sites for as much informations as possible.

Don't believe it when they tell you to get to the port and 1:00PM or 2:00PM.  Arrive early and start enjoying your vacation as soon as possible.

Alway take a carry on with your electronics and a swimsuit so you can enjoy the pool without having to wait for your luggage.  It is important the you DO NOT place any valuables in your checked luggage.

If available on your ship, look for alternative dining locations to the Windjammer when you first board. They are usually less crowded.  Solarium Bistro on the Oasis and Allure is an excellent location for lunch the first day.

Don't be afraid to book independant excursions.  Do your research and go with a reputable company.  You usually get a lot more for less $$.

• 2 weeks later...

We like to book all of our excursions before the trip while I can research them on-line. You can often find youtube video of excursions.   It's nice to get on vacation and have the decisions made and tickets in the room waiting for us.

My husband and I decided a few cruises ago that we don't care to do formals nights anymore so we book specialty restaurants those nights. With Quantum we have think about this approach because one dining room will be formal every night.  Not sure if we will choose to skip that dining room or take semi-formal attire.

I take one pair of black pants for dinner every night.  A few different blouses to rotate between.  We change back into jeans or shorts right after dinner so I wear the same thing multiple times.

We like to get to the port before they start boarding.  Lines are short or none at all. 

If you still have shows to book when you board ask where they are set up to make those reservations and do that first thing.  Get reservations - there is no harm in not using them if you change your mind.

The shows on board all take reservations?  Is there a list of shows and when?  I guess I thought they are not posted until the daily compass comes out.

As far as I know, only the Allure and Oasis allow you to reserve your shows in advance. 

We have had to get tickets for the ice shows on the Voyager and Freeedom class shipd, but they were handed out on the ship.  The time was posted in the Compass.

Is the room service list on the tv in your room?  Someone mentioned you can fill out a door tag the night before and hang outside you door by 3am with a time on it for delivery for breakfast.  Is the rest of the day a call in of your request?

The TVs on refurbished ships (or Oasis class) allow ordering via the TV itself.  For next morning breakfast orders I believe you still have to use the door tags.

• 2 weeks later...

My tips for a first time cruiser:

1. Pack what you think you'll need. It is better to over pack than not have enough.

2. Watch your time and be organized. Arrive early to the port on the first day to check in. Keep track of your time while at port, so you don't miss the ship leaving.

3. Go on a cruise vacation with no expectations. It's not the Ritz Carlton, and it's not Disney World. It's a cruise. It can be the best vacation of your life or the worst if your expectations are not met.

4. Don't try to see and do everything. You most likely won't be able to and you'll just exhaust yourself trying.

5. Look at the constant changing views around you. It's the only vacation where the scenery changes everyday!

6. Take advantage of the options onboard the ship. See a couple shows. Try new types of food. Be adventurous.

7.  Relax, you're on vacation. Read a book, bask in the sun, or take a nap. It's up to you!

My tips for a first time cruiser:

1. Pack what you think you'll need. It is better to over pack than not have enough.

2. Watch your time and be organized. Arrive early to the port on the first day to check in. Keep track of your time while at port, so you don't miss the ship leaving.

3. Go on a cruise vacation with no expectations. It's not the Ritz Carlton, and it's not Disney World. It's a cruise. It can be the best vacation of your life or the worst if your expectations are not met.

4. Don't try to see and do everything. You most likely won't be able to and you'll just exhaust yourself trying.

5. Look at the constant changing views around you. It's the only vacation where the scenery changes everyday!

6. Take advantage of the options onboard the ship. See a couple shows. Try new types of food. Be adventurous.

7.  Relax, you're on vacation. Read a book, bask in the sun, or take a nap. It's up to you!

The second part of #2 is good to remember.  ALWAYS stay on ships time! Make sure you have a watch or other time keeping device that will not change to local time.  On our first cruise the cruise director said at the show the night before we pulled into Cozumel, "Do not ask a local what time is is or you will become one."