Teen club

luke_gillis

1 hour ago, WesKinetic said:

Yes, the split the teen groups into 12-14 and 15-17. Will have activities for each group. 

I'm going to bring 3 of my teen boys on a cruise this summer.  14,15 & 16.  The 14 and 15 year old are really close.  Do you know if they are sticklers for keeping the 14 year old with the younger kids?

14 hours ago, need2cruz said:

I'm going to bring 3 of my teen boys on a cruise this summer.  14,15 & 16.  The 14 and 15 year old are really close.  Do you know if they are sticklers for keeping the 14 year old with the younger kids?

Afraid I can't help with that one. My kids are far enough apart in age that it was never an issue. Someone else may have more recent experience. But as Matt always says, when you get on board it never hurts to ask but don't be upset if the answer is no. 

15 hours ago, need2cruz said:

I have 2 teens (age 13 and 15).  On Oasis in September and Independence this month, they never broke the teen club into the sub groups.  All activities were for all teens 12 or 13 to 17.  

2 hours ago, Jen W said:

If they are turning 12 this year, can they still join? Or are they very strict on age? 

On Oasis in September they were strict.  Kids had to be at least 12 and even then they required a waiver.  Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea for kids under 12 to be in there and even some 12 year olds don’t have the needed maturity.  The teen clubs on RC are glorified hangouts of teenagers including 17 year olds. While there are organized activities such as scavenger hunts and climbing times, there is NO youth staff supervision during the activities and even limited supervision in the club.  They even showed The Conjuring one night in the teen club.  For anyone familiar with it - this is NOT like Edge on Disney Cruise Line (Mickey language, please).

Unless you are ok with your kid running around the ship completely unsupervised with kids you don’t know and trust them to make decisions when faced with scenarios that are age inappropriate (my 15 and 13 year olds chose to leave the club when that movie was shown), it’s really a bad idea to even ask.  

21 hours ago, need2cruz said:

It becomes more of a loose group.  There are activities, but they are optional and the kids form their own groups.

3 hours ago, Jen W said:

If they are turning 12 this year, can they still join? Or are they very strict on age? 

We were able to move my then 11 year old up on Liberty of the Seas a few years ago.  He and another 11 year old spent the first night in "Adventure Ocean" and were not happy.  We signed a waiver and he moved up.  

My daughters experience on Adventure in July (she was 12) and Symphony in December (she was 13) was that the entire (12-17) group stayed together in the club for activities, even when the group was quite large (50+ teens on Symphony jammed into the club). As others have said, the club is really only a starting point for most teens and they go from there. I also agree with those who believe 11 is far too young for this group. In addition to the issues with appropriateness, there were some activities such as ice skating where parents of 12 year olds had to be present. It was weird that they were included in the teen club yet treated differently. Personally I think 13-17 would be better.