What if we are due a couple of months before a cruise

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to Royal Caribbean and was hoping some gurus here to give me some advice.

We are expecting a child in October, with our cruise in December. This means the baby wouldn't be able to travel (as younger than 6 months). And we don't feel comfortable to leave the new born with someone else.

We had previously already paid a smallish deposit for Spectrum, but because it is after September 30, it is not eligible for a cruise with confidence cruise credit. 

I've been told we will get charged a cancellation fee of $100 per person. Is this the only option available to us? It's not that we don't want to travel in the future, it's just we can't travel on those dates. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, royalcaribbeannewbie said:

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to Royal Caribbean and was hoping some gurus here to give me some advice.

Hi, welcome to the boards and congratulations on your forthcoming happy event. 😊

While strictly speaking it is your only option, it never hurts to ask. Royal have been known in the past to let people do things they're not allowed to do, depending on the circumstances. So if you, or your travel agent, if you used one, contact them and explain the situation, you never know, you might be lucky and they might agree to move your deposit to a later sailing. Bear in mind that if you are planning on taking your little one, they will have to be added to the booking, which will probably generate a change in cabin category and the price will be at the prevailing rate. It would be wise to do your homework first regarding potential dates.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving it a go; the worst they can do is say "no", which, to be fair, is the most likely outcome, but at least you will have tried. Years down the line you will be able to pull your child's leg about how they cost you an extra $200 for their first cruise!

With your replies, I think selling the child is the best option 😆

No seriously, I followed your advice and contacted them. They offered (and we accepted) to transfer the deposit to another cruise that we're booked on.

Thank you again. Appreciate your advice for a RCL newbie.